Breaking even with credit cards.

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
I've been noticing all the credit card deals around the city and started pondering on a system here.For example,Banco Leon had 8% on gas last month and 4% this month.Banco popular has 30% on funny factory and the mobile app shows discounts depending on your location.So I was thinking that if you get cards from the major banks,use it and pay the next day without carrying a balance,you just might break even(cost of living in comparison with the states) or cheaper.Any inputs....

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
interestingly enough there is an article on credit cars in today's diario libre:
El precio del dinero pl?stico - DiarioLibre.com

personally i hate those little plastic devils. i come from the country where money was traditionally stores in a sock under the mattress. i did not have a bank account until about 25 years of age. i always refused any credit cards. today i have one (an extension of miesposo's card from banco popular) and i only ever use it when i travel outside DR). i do not understand how this s**t works and i am not interested. my policy is: spend only what you have. if i need a credit to buy something then i cannot afford it. full stop.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Oh, sure. IF you pay the next day without carrying a balance. Things is, the banks know that eventually you will go a little over your head, and you won't be able to pay it off the next day. Yes, you'll pay it between this and next month and just pay a little interest. A little interest is not going to hurt that much, is it?...Eventually greed and material desires will win, and so will the banks. You can keep things under control if you practice strict discipline, but banks have hundreds of years living off human weaknesses, and I don't see that changing any time soon.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"If It Sounds Too Good To Be True", It Probably IS"!!!!!!!
In the DR, "It ALWAYS, "IS"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Don't bet against the "Bancos" here.
One way, or "Several Other WAYS", you will lose!
The DR, Business Model", "OXYMORON"???, is never set up to satisfy the customers.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
If you are disciplined enough there is no problem using a credit card. We do all our shopping with a Banco Popular credit card, and pay it off before or on the day the monthly amount expires (about 3 weeks after cut day, meaning on some shopping we have 7 weeks free credit. We collect miles with it and don't have to walk with a lot of cash. When making a big shopping, for example furniture we also pay with credit card and deposit amount immediately on the card, so it doesn't use credit space.

I'm definitely going to check out these discounts!

nyc dad

Bronze
Jul 28, 2011
yes , 8% for gas,last month,this month 4%...banco popular app shows you deals near you.Helados bon 10% off after 100 pesos for CCCCCCCCCCCCCCC!