minimum salary to increase

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
as you may know for the last few months there was a discussion about increasing minimum salary. newspapers were covering the story. today finally came an agreement.
starting from the 1st of july (retrospectively) employers are obliged to pay new salaries. they depend on the size of the business.
Acuerdan aumentar 14% al salario m?nimo - DiarioLibre.com

business worth over 4 million pesos: the new salary is 11.292 pesos
from 4 to 2 million: 7.763 pesos.
below 2 million: 6.880 pesos.

expect prices to go up soon.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i will also add that the salary increase does not include domestic workers but it does include campo workers as well as watchmen (details in the text).

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Anyone who does not pass on the increased rate to domestic workers , when it is finally agreed to , is a rotten and very stingy individual ,,but in my experience the Dominicans who have domestic help will be the last to give the increase

gray

Apr 11, 2013
while i am thinking of it, is there a government agency that we can report to if this increase is not initiated?
labor board or something like that?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
secretaria de trabajo, i think.

domestic workers are in a way outside of the labour code. it only clarifies some of the conditions of their work, not the salaries.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
All the Secretaries changed to Ministers a couple of years ago. SECTUR now MITUR, etc., etc.

Try firing your domestic worker, even if they're part time, and see if they don't go straight to the labor
office and try to get their cessantia, unless you pay them off fairly. Workers almost always win, which
in most cases is fair enough; keeps abuse down by greedy bosses, unless one can prove justa causa.
Hotel worker's minimum wages are today only about $7,035/month + taxes and other add-ons. If someone already makes more than the proposed minimum, like an encargada, supervisor, etc., they aren't mandated for the raise, but any fair company does give them an increase too, just maybe not
the full 14% in the current proposal. Those raises, once becoming law, (not a done deal yet) will be retroactive to June 1, 2013.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Anyone who does not pass on the increased rate to domestic workers , when it is finally agreed to , is a rotten and very stingy individual ,,but in my experience the Dominicans who have domestic help will be the last to give the increase
I will definitely NOT pass it on to our domestic worker. She is earning 11,500, which I think is more than enough. If we have to pay more I will decide to look for a maid for 3 days a week.

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
We pay our worker 4000 pesos a month for 3 days a week, 3 hours per day. Don't think we need to increase her salary. Would you ??

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
And now with the increase in salary, Dominicans can afford the increase that's coming on food.:tired:

ffritz

Feb 7, 2008
www.gymbar.blogspot.com
When we closed the bar I ran the numbers ........ without employees we would have broken even. Without paying rent we would have made a copule of hundred dollars a month.

Now we work from home with no employees or rent ....... don't donate to charities either ...... we did enough of that when we had the bar lol

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
If someone has a maid 3 times a week for 3 hours, why not have her for 4 hours a day twice a week?
Transportation costs, while small enough to foreigners, is major for low-paid workers. And you'd only
have to feed her twice, not thrice.
If you have kids, different story. Or maybe a bunch of plants, pets or other unknown needy living things.
Just a thought. Every household is unique I guess.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Kipling", & "Gray", you have a LOT to learn about life in the DR!
Come and live here, you will learn something!
What appears to be a great idea on the surface, I mean, who doesn't want the "working poor' to have a few more "pesos" in their pocket, always backfires.
Wages increase 15%, prices go up 30%.
"One Step Forward", becomes, "Two Steps Backward"! :(:(:(
"Flea", at 2 times a week, the house gets too dirty between visits.
I mean, between Sat. noon, and Monday 8 am, my house gets dirty.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

gray

Apr 11, 2013
i agree CC i do have a lot to learn!
as a matter of fact i do live here but its not even close to how long you or many others have been here, but I live probably in a more remote place than many expats would ever live.
i would have to agree about raising the food prices will be next and they will come here as well. yet what many have told me here in my town is that the business owners don't even follow the governments laws as of now. so when the increases come, what then? that's why i asked about the ministry of labor
What else can be done for some of my friends (local Dominicans) in this position? they only talk about moving to the capital.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
nothing can be done, gray. unions lobby for salaries to go up because they want people to be able to afford canasta familiar. but as soon as employers have to pay more they either put the prices up, let people go or both. so every time the minimum salary goes up so does everything else. it solves absolutely zero problems.

maybe a change of a business model is due. i observed that many businesses employ more people than they should. the same job could be done by 50% less employees, providing they work as ordered. you could pay them more too.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Minimum Salary" in the DR means, how much a Haitian is willing to work for, NOT the "Official Numbers"!
Even government contractors hire Haitians at well below the "Official" rate.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
LOL!!

This just means that about all employers must now "report" they pay at or above the minimum wage set, hence pay-in more to the fisco for their employees.

This is only an adjustment the gov is making to get more tax revenues, not helping the employees at all.

Employers already pay above the minimum wage to their employees, just not on the books. It's all about tax revenues and nothing at all about cost of living adjustments by the gov. What a farce!