Riding Through Military Check Points

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Recent guest Roger Vinyard took a short, nice video of us riding through a military check point on the recent East DR Scouting tour. This was shot north of Boca Chica near the intersection with Rte 3. There were military guys in all directions.

MotoCaribe riders are always fascinated at seeing fully armed soldiers doing vehicle checks on the streets. When we're all geared up and riding big bikes, we often confuse the various police and military personnel.

The Scouting tour exceeded our expectations. It was spectacular, great riding, some challenging hard-packed roads, tours of caves, diving/snorkeling, boat outings to Los Haitises National Park and Isla Catalina island, yummy food and drink and much, much more! A great 8 day adventure! So an East Tour will be on the MotoCaribe Motorcycle Adventure Tours schedule this winter.

[video=youtube;S2BfNQ4UZh0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2BfNQ4UZh0[/video]

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
You gotta love the fact that most of them waved at you. One of the things I love about this country is that a smile and a wave makes the most tense situation better.

I could be carrying 20 pounds of blow, $1 million in twenties, and 15 illegal Haitians, and if I smile and wave at the military checkpoint, chances are they will let me go through.

oceanspear

Nov 23, 2012
HI, Cobraboy, you had mentioned you were gonna replace the fleet of motorcycles in the near future.... and I was wondering if you can post a few pictures of the bikes...also wondering what kind of money you were gonna ask for one?
thanks

Sep 4, 2012
You gotta love the fact that most of them waved at you. One of the things I love about this country is that a smile and a wave makes the most tense situation better.

I could be carrying 20 pounds of blow, $1 million in twenties, and 15 illegal Haitians, and if I smile and wave at the military checkpoint, chances are they will let me go through.

Exactly the same reasons why this country is such a unique place. Try that anywhere and results would be totally different.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
HI, Cobraboy, you had mentioned you were gonna replace the fleet of motorcycles in the near future.... and I was wondering if you can post a few pictures of the bikes...also wondering what kind of money you were gonna ask for one?
thanks
ocean, they are V-Strom DL650's, lots of pics here if you do some searching.

When the time comes I'll post an ad on DR1, but the price will be a very solid one, great value. The bikes have all been maintained to the highest level and run fantastic. IMO, the DL650 is the among the BEST overall motorcycle for the weather and road conditions of the DR...at a great value.