Regarding POP Airport Renovation

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
From today's Sosua News:

[h=5]Friday 12 July, the renovated and totally redesigned and expanded Airport Gregorio Luper?n (Puerto Plata) will officially be opened by President Danilo Medina S?nchez. The reconstruction lasted nearly two years but now the airport is ready to handle new flows of passengers comfortably. In addition to senators and the governor of the province of Puerto Plata, the mayor of Sos?a, Ilana Neumann and the Director of Tourism, Lorenzo Sancasani will be present at the opening.[/h]

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
The airport looks great and the departure area is first class. Free wifi and "real" restaurants. However, with these renos I doubt the tax will ever be lowered to actually attract more tourists.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The airport looks great and the departure area is first class. Free wifi and "real" restaurants. However, with these renos I doubt the tax will ever be lowered to actually attract more tourists.

That is sad but true. Those taxes are really hurting tourism. Stupid is as stupid does.

Sam Wilson

Nov 3, 2012
www.samwilson.com
I remember leaving thru there last year... I was over due.. The guy told me I owed 1000 pesos.... and to go with this other guy, he will take me to the terminal..... He walked me 1/2 way took my 1000 pesos, put it in his pocket.. and pointed me the rest of the way......LOL..... Their "Duty Free" shop at the departure area was way overpriced.....

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
$390 for taxes is out of this world... my airfare (pre-tax) is usually lower than the taxes.

So sad...

I remember when taxes were around $160... and crazy moon/Andromeda were the happening places ;)

Looking at that pic I've lost count how many times I've been to that airport ! I have a love/hate relationship with that place. Love it when I get there, hate it when I have to leave !

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i like that airport. clean, well organized. if only someone had enough brain to lower the prices... i only bought one thing at the airport, about 6 years ago. a small bottle of water. 70 pesos. 5 pesos for the same bottle in any shop. that day i said to myself i'd rather drink water from the tap in the bathroom than let those lousy, greedy assholes earn a single peso. f**k you, bastards.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
i like that airport. clean, well organized. if only someone had enough brain to lower the prices... i only bought one thing at the airport, about 6 years ago. a small bottle of water. 70 pesos. 5 pesos for the same bottle in any shop. that day i said to myself i'd rather drink water from the tap in the bathroom than let those lousy, greedy assholes earn a single peso. f**k you, bastards.

That seems to be the way it is at all airports everywhere. TSA prevents you from bringing your own water and the vendors charge an arm and a leg.

I wonder if TSA gets a percentage.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
ken, how about no, it's not the same elsewhere? that stupid water bottle in jose luis is now 7 pesos. 70 at the airport. that's 10 times more! at the airport in europe it would be twice the price. but not 10 times.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
ken, how about no, it's not the same elsewhere? that stupid water bottle in jose luis is now 7 pesos. 70 at the airport. that's 10 times more! at the airport in europe it would be twice the price. but not 10 times.

Sure, not 10 times more in Europe or the US, but that is because you are comparing a bottle of water at the airport with water that has been seriously over priced elsewhere.

How many places in Europe can you get a bottle of water for the equivalent of RD$7?

I'm in the US now. The other day I went to a little submarine and sandwich place and they wanted US$2.25 (plus tax) for a bottle of water. Damn near as much as the sandwich. That is about what they charge in the airports here.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
let me remind you that in most european countries you can drink tap water. gratis.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
The terminal is beautiful. The only thing is the bathrooms are very far from the gates.

I was there a couple of weeks ago and they have open the old set (redone) of bathrooms, so things are still the same as they were with and extra set as you first come in.

Jan 17, 2009
In the US, TSA will not allow the bottle with the liquid inside. But guess what, you can refill it from a water fountaing. Here you can't, and afaik there is no TSA here, just Dominican security which change what you can bring in with you or not just because ...

That seems to be the way it is at all airports everywhere. TSA prevents you from bringing your own water and the vendors charge an arm and a leg.

I wonder if TSA gets a percentage.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
In the US, TSA will not allow the bottle with the liquid inside. But guess what, you can refill it from a water fountain.

I wonder why I never thought of that. Not when flying from the DR, but when in the US.I can buy a bottle of water here and use it for the entire trip.

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
I wonder why I never thought of that. Not when flying from the DR, but when in the US.I can buy a bottle of water here and use it for the entire trip.

You're not actually allowed to take empty bottles afaik...
...which is why i always carry a platypus bottle that can be rolled-up and it doesnt look like a bottle on the xrays :)

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Sure, not 10 times more in Europe or the US, but that is because you are comparing a bottle of water at the airport with water that has been seriously over priced elsewhere.

How many places in Europe can you get a bottle of water for the equivalent of RD$7?

I'm in the US now. The other day I went to a little submarine and sandwich place and they wanted US$2.25 (plus tax) for a bottle of water. Damn near as much as the sandwich. That is about what they charge in the airports here.

What US city can you get a sandwich for $2.25?
You are lucky to find an empanada for $2 in Washington Heights.

Jan 17, 2009
The only US airport I saw it advertised, big canvass sign, was at SFO two years ago. They even had a fountain for you to damp your water right before getting to the TSA line. Since then, I have never paid for water at US airports again. I also did it in my country, Uruguay, as we have potable water. Like you say, can't do this in the DR.