Shoe etiquette

May 29, 2006
Good article on wearing flip flops. I confess I wore them when I first came to the DR(for way too long) but after finally picking up that men were not suppose to wear them in the DR I also came to the realization that they weren't hygienic or practical either.

Against flip-flops: Put a shoe on, you slob. - Slate Magazine

I ended up wearing deck shoes. I would have bought more shoes locally, but couldn't find anything without the pointy toes. Dominican shoes are weird.

In your opinion, what are the dos and don'ts for footwear in the DR for tourists and ex-pats? I think you can get away with plain black or white sneakers, but flashy sports shoes seem like a definite faux pas. Same deal with Timberland or any other kind of work boot.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
In my opinion????? I wear what's comfortable for me, and that means leather sandals or flip flops [not the rubber zorries, nice flip flops!]. Too damned hot for sneakers or closed shoes. Mr. AE has a variety of footwear at our DR home, he mostly wears leather flip flops or sneakers. The leather slip ons only go on if we're going to someplace or something special.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
in my usual spirit of idontgivef**kness i don't give... i just do not care. flip flops or open sandals, feet get equally dirty. so i wear whatever i feel like wearing. usually it's flip flops and i put them on regardless of the situation: in POP, in santiago, in SD, in the restaurant, to the cemetery, who cares. in private life i am not bound by the dress code. and i will not be told what i should wear.

those who attended matilda's book signing in sosua saw me in shorts and tight top. when i was leaving the house i asked miesposo: do i look like a turista? he nodded. and i said: perfect! i ain't going to fry my coochie in jeans and my feet in covered shoes.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
I wear crocs on weekends to run errands. No way I'm wearing formal shoes if I don't have to go to work or visit anyone.

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
If you're brave enough to walk around Santo Domingo in flip-flops, I say more power to you.
They're dirty, dangerous and damn hot with all that melting rubber........:hurt:

Dec 26, 2011
Leather flip flops. Regular flip flops. I have nice feet. So why not? Every time I consider shoes my gf tells me I'm crazy.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
Santo domingo is not unlike London may have been several centuries ago when human waste and household waste was flushed down central canals in the streets of which people were to go about daily business. I've lived all over the world and santo domingo is the most filthy city I've ever lived. I feel unable to wear sandals around town, not for any unspoken fashion requirement, just that I really object to squashed food between my toes, puddles of flies and potholes that are shin deep. Wellies at best, sneakers at worst, but only a scumbag or someone who only needs to be in zona colonial can wear sandals in this city. Which is a shame, I like wearing my sandals.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
If you're brave enough to walk around Santo Domingo in flip-flops, I say more power to you.
They're dirty, dangerous and damn hot with all that melting rubber........:hurt:

what you talking about? dirty? i wash my flip flops. or you mean that my feet will get dirty wearing them? they will be dirty all the same if i wear fancy high heel sandals. dangerous? have you try to navigate SD street in heels? that's dangerous. damn hot? melting rubber? flip flops are not made of butter, they do not melt. and they are a lot less hot that stuffing your feel in close shoes...

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Barefoot", but Not Pregnant, is my favorite!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Many Dominican women have wide, flat, feet.
I try not to "Look Down", too much!
"Heaven's Above", after all!!!!!!!

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Not only in Cabarete, I'm in the capital and I see many dominican men in flip flops, shorts, and any other tourist outfit. It was not like that when I first came here, but the whole shoe or pants etiquette has changed.

Sep 4, 2012
This isn't hard, wear the proper shoes and attire to the proper occasion. What you pick to wear in the beach should not be the same for a meeting or business. At the end, its your choice to look respectable or as a chopo.

Wearing sandals or flip flops to a meeting, yes you are a chopo.

I always wore flip flops and shorts in Canada all year around. It was never too cold where I lived so I'm sure not going to start wearing jeans and shoes with socks in the DR. I think it is absolutely ridiculous that everyone wears jeans, collared shirt or long sleeves shirts here!

I don't give a crap what people think! I find it bad enough that i have to wear a shirt everywhere. I will only wear Jeans if I am going to a place that the dress code insists on it.
We were the only people at SD's Hosp not wearing jeans or shoes the other day it was quite funny!

I've walked around SD 3 times in the last 6 months never had a problem I did have to look down more often to avoid dog **** and garbage though.

I didn't retire to a tropical Island to start wearing formal clothes!
I have many nice flip flops that cost the same as a shoe yet most of the time I just wear my ugly $25 flip flops. I'm on the beach. WHY WOULD I WEAR SHOES AND SOCKS?! Socks ARE HOT! I'm already sweating non stop!

Last edited:

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Wearing sandals or flip flops to a meeting, yes you are a chopo.

what meetings, i pray? i don't attend no meetings, man. neither does most posters here. we are retired old farts. no need for formal shoes when "meeting" with brugal bottle. and i clearly said "in my private life". work place dress code is another thing, you are obliged to follow it.