Any suggested Day Jeep Trips From Sosua/Cabarete Area?

Pa809

Jun 30, 2013
On vacation next month and hoping to do the same I have done in some other countries, just casually cruising around hitting the ocasional bar/restaurant/beach for a beer/food for a day or two and maybe get a feel for the culture. Any ideas on which way to head? Was thinking east along the coast but are open to other directions; any suggestions on places to stop?

Thanks

Pa809

Jun 30, 2013
Thanks derfish.

I am going to have a walking boot/cast on as I ruptured my achilles working out with my son last week and need an operation. Not too big on "attractions", just low key places to stop and have a beer or some food, or maybe a nice beach to stop at. I can probably just drive and play it by ear, but if there is a good spot or two would be great. I am single so if there are any chicas about, great but not necessary. I only habla a little but my nephew is fluent and will be there last half of vacation if I need to wait.

I've always had some of my best times on trips rambling around outside of the "tourist" areas in different places (except Jamaica, got a bad vibe and stayed in the resort).

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
IF YOU HAVE a vehicle head to sabaneta and turn right heading towards Moca . you will have an escalating lovely view of mountain valley vistas culminating at la cumbre and there are a couple of restaurants overlloking the Santiago valley that are quite dramatic . Well worth aday trip ! someone on this site can give you specifics

Pa809

Jun 30, 2013
Thank you so much Arrugala, thats going on the list! Know of any hotels up there?

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Given your condition I would support the road trip from Sabaneta through Moca. Just cruise along and watch for the signing with the names of the vilages you pass... you'll drive by places like Palo Amarillo, Pata de Gallina... you know you're almost at the vantage point at La Cumbre when you pass 'Las Antennas', after that it's downhill...

You can enjoy the view at Rancho La Cumbre or at El Cortecito.. both restaurants are situated on the edge overlooking the Cibao valley.

You will not need a hotel, depending on when you'll leave, since you can easily take the same road back again.

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
As you cruise down Hwy 5 from Cabarette towards Samana, spend a little time in Cabrera. Head towards the malecon and stop and see Francis at Mannys resturant. A few hotels in the town from hostel type to pretty nice. Not your basic tourist town,-think you will enjoy spending some time there.

Pa809

Jun 30, 2013
Thats awesome MD and pulvarik, thanks. I think I will try the eastern trip through Cabrera first and plan to spend a night in case I find a cool place to hang out, and maybe the mountain route day trip when my nephew gets in as I can throw the chauffers cap on him for the drive back.

Having a place like Mannys to start is a great tip.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
You will have a great time, but dont let your nephew drive unless he is experienced.

Thats awesome MD and pulvarik, thanks. I think I will try the eastern trip through Cabrera first and plan to spend a night in case I find a cool place to hang out, and maybe the mountain route day trip when my nephew gets in as I can throw the chauffers cap on him for the drive back.

Having a place like Mannys to start is a great tip.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
There is a new Hotel up on the top of the hill in La Cumbre. If you get a clear night, its worth the stay. Cafeto is my favorite resteraunt, but there is also Rancho La Cumbre and La Molina. The hotel is right next to these places.

Last edited:

leromero

Bronze
May 30, 2004
web.mac.com
Somebody should really make this trip and put together a detailed trip report. It would be nice to see some of it. Something to think about for my next trip. Hmmm.....

Pa809

Jun 30, 2013
If I go, I promise to do a report with pictures.

Hammerdown, I just did La Cumbre on google earth and it looks like I would go west on 5 from Sosua/cabarete, then south on 25, whereas Arrugala suggested west on 5 to Sabaneta and south on 21? Am I missing something? I cant see a west road to cut over to La Cumbre from 21.

Pa 809, there is another road in Sabaneta to Santiago and it is a beautiful view and a better road than the road in Sosua/Cabarete to Santiago in my opinion. I have done both quite a few times. The Sosua one has less curves but way more rocky road areas and not as great of a scenic route. The Sabaneta road to Santiago has A LOT of CURVES but is beautiful.

I don't know all the road names so maybe i am not even making sense???!!

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
On vacation next month and hoping to do the same I have done in some other countries, just casually cruising around hitting the ocasional bar/restaurant/beach for a beer/food for a day or two and maybe get a feel for the culture. Any ideas on which way to head? Was thinking east along the coast but are open to other directions; any suggestions on places to stop?

Thanks

If you really want to have fun, meet people and live the culture in the DR, by all means get a jeep wait for heavy rain to fall in the area you pick (always up in the mountains).

The trail will be an adventure unlike any other, the people you'll meet when you get stuck in the road will be tops. You'll make new friends, even get invited to their homes to take a rest from your trip.

You'll learn a lot of the local culture by just listening to them talk about their area and their families and notable residents.

The food will be great and never the same in two places.

If you want to enjoy still non-spoiled areas of the DR, head to Juncalito, los Montones arriba, etc...

Take extra clothes and tennis shoes with you, pack swimwear and some hiking gear as well. You'll have fun!

Raining days are the best, since only the people that LIVE in the area will be on the road in such conditions.

Pa809

Jun 30, 2013
Pa 809, there is another road in Sabaneta to Santiago and it is a beautiful view and a better road than the road in Sosua/Cabarete to Santiago in my opinion. I have done both quite a few times. The Sosua one has less curves but way more rocky road areas and not as great of a scenic route. The Sabaneta road to Santiago has A LOT of CURVES but is beautiful.

I don't know all the road names so maybe i am not even making sense???!!

No, you are right, that is route 21 I am pretty sure. I was checking and it goes up the mountain. I think the hotel hammerdown was refering to was the Rim Mountain hotel, close to Cafeta restaraunt.

Pa809

Jun 30, 2013
If you really want to have fun, meet people and live the culture in the DR, by all means get a jeep wait for heavy rain to fall in the area you pick (always up in the mountains).

The trail will be an adventure unlike any other, the people you'll meet when you get stuck in the road will be tops. You'll make new friends, even get invited to their homes to take a rest from your trip.

You'll learn a lot of the local culture by just listening to them talk about their area and their families and notable residents.

The food will be great and never the same in two places.

If you want to enjoy still non-spoiled areas of the DR, head to Juncalito, los Montones arriba, etc...

Take extra clothes and tennis shoes with you, pack swimwear and some hiking gear as well. You'll have fun!

Raining days are the best, since only the people that LIVE in the area will be on the road in such conditions.

I had a few times in other countries getting laid up in some bar or restaurant in some towns in transit during long rain storms when on a motorbike or motorcycle, and had a great time.