Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default American Breakfast in Santiago?????

My last gasp effort - I have moved here from the states (Atlanta,GA) about two months now and well quite frankly, this food thing is beginning to drive me nuts. I am sick to death of rice and chicken, rice and chuleta! Rice and rice, yucca and fried egg!!! just the other day I tried to explain to a friend what collard greens are! my most desperate effort is to find an American style restaurant that serves bacon, sausage, pancakes ( with blueberries please, pretty please??!!), western omelets, decent REGULAR BLACK coffee ( and do I dare dream??) grits with cheese, can anyone suggest such a place? I have scoured the internet for days on American breakfast in DR, closest I came was the Denny's in SD and nothing else. DR1 is my last opp. I did not realize that the food choices here would be so limited, I am also ashamed to admit - but lately I have been thinking of giving this up and going back home as visions of Denny's and IHOP, spareribs and mac n cheez and chicken fried in FLOUR dance through my head. I am hungry!!!!! HELP!!!!!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

PS - I don't know why I thought Presidente' s and pretty faces would be all I needed here!!!!

3. Likes Tor liked this post
    DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Funny you posted this, DR1 has an Off Topic Forum [you need 500 posts to see it], and we're discussing this exact same thing there in a food thread. Maybe some of the posters from Santiago can help you.

Admin
    DR1.com

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by craigP View Post
    My last gasp effort - I have moved here from the states (Atlanta,GA) about two months now and well quite frankly, this food thing is beginning to drive me nuts. I am sick to death of rice and chicken, rice and chuleta! Rice and rice, yucca and fried egg!!! just the other day I tried to explain to a friend what collard greens are! my most desperate effort is to find an American style restaurant that serves bacon, sausage, pancakes ( with blueberries please, pretty please??!!), western omelets, decent REGULAR BLACK coffee ( and do I dare dream??) grits with cheese, can anyone suggest such a place? I have scoured the internet for days on American breakfast in DR, closest I came was the Denny's in SD and nothing else. DR1 is my last opp. I did not realize that the food choices here would be so limited, I am also ashamed to admit - but lately I have been thinking of giving this up and going back home as visions of Denny's and IHOP, spareribs and mac n cheez and chicken fried in FLOUR dance through my head. I am hungry!!!!! HELP!!!!!
    sorry, buddy, but you have come to the land that food forgot. i tried to buy a pie crust in La Sirena, and nobody beside the manager knew what i was talking about.

Post Thanks / Like

If you want anything even close to what you desire..............
    You will have to cook it yourself...........
    Most of the ingredients are available here..........
    I love my home made cooking..........

B in Santiago

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by waytogo View Post
    If you want anything even close to what you desire..............
    You will have to cook it yourself...........
    Most of the ingredients are available here..........
    I love my home made cooking..........

B in Santiago

EXACTLY!!!!

would you want some Dominican cook making your fried eggs in a half gallon of oil, superheated to molten lava temperatures? have you ever seen a Dominican pot with a handle? know why? they turn the stove up so high that the flames engulf the utensil, and burn off the handles.

cook the stuff yourself. you can get all of that here, except, perhaps, the grits.

8. Likes waytogo liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, as soon as the landlord responds to my umpteen messages regarding this broken refrigerator ( the bottom part does not chill,) I am planning on going to La Sirene.....

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by the gorgon View Post
    cook the stuff yourself. you can get all of that here, except, perhaps, the grits.
    And Jimmy Dean sausage.

I'm saving the last pound for a "special" occcasion...
    Cabin Attendant,
    Augusto Pinochet Helicopter Tours

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by the gorgon View Post
    . . . i tried to buy a pie crust in La Sirena, and nobody beside the manager knew what i was talking about.

BUY
    a pie crust? WTF!

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cobraboy View Post
    And Jimmy Dean sausage.

I'm saving the last pound for a "special" occcasion...
    you are so thoughtful. i am looking forward to it. i will reciprocate with something interesting....

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast