American Breakfast in Santiago?????

craigP

Dec 4, 2012
My last gasp effort - I have moved here from the states (Atlanta,GA) about two months now and well quite frankly, this food thing is beginning to drive me nuts. I am sick to death of rice and chicken, rice and chuleta! Rice and rice, yucca and fried egg!!! just the other day I tried to explain to a friend what collard greens are! my most desperate effort is to find an American style restaurant that serves bacon, sausage, pancakes ( with blueberries please, pretty please??!!), western omelets, decent REGULAR BLACK coffee ( and do I dare dream??) grits with cheese, can anyone suggest such a place? I have scoured the internet for days on American breakfast in DR, closest I came was the Denny's in SD and nothing else. DR1 is my last opp. I did not realize that the food choices here would be so limited, I am also ashamed to admit - but lately I have been thinking of giving this up and going back home as visions of Denny's and IHOP, spareribs and mac n cheez and chicken fried in FLOUR dance through my head. I am hungry!!!!! HELP!!!!! :lick:

craigP

Dec 4, 2012
PS - I don't know why I thought Presidente' s and pretty faces would be all I needed here!!!!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Funny you posted this, DR1 has an Off Topic Forum [you need 500 posts to see it], and we're discussing this exact same thing there in a food thread. Maybe some of the posters from Santiago can help you.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
My last gasp effort - I have moved here from the states (Atlanta,GA) about two months now and well quite frankly, this food thing is beginning to drive me nuts. I am sick to death of rice and chicken, rice and chuleta! Rice and rice, yucca and fried egg!!! just the other day I tried to explain to a friend what collard greens are! my most desperate effort is to find an American style restaurant that serves bacon, sausage, pancakes ( with blueberries please, pretty please??!!), western omelets, decent REGULAR BLACK coffee ( and do I dare dream??) grits with cheese, can anyone suggest such a place? I have scoured the internet for days on American breakfast in DR, closest I came was the Denny's in SD and nothing else. DR1 is my last opp. I did not realize that the food choices here would be so limited, I am also ashamed to admit - but lately I have been thinking of giving this up and going back home as visions of Denny's and IHOP, spareribs and mac n cheez and chicken fried in FLOUR dance through my head. I am hungry!!!!! HELP!!!!! :lick:

sorry, buddy, but you have come to the land that food forgot. i tried to buy a pie crust in La Sirena, and nobody beside the manager knew what i was talking about.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
If you want anything even close to what you desire..............
You will have to cook it yourself...........
Most of the ingredients are available here..........
I love my home made cooking..........:p

B in Santiago

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
If you want anything even close to what you desire..............
You will have to cook it yourself...........
Most of the ingredients are available here..........
I love my home made cooking..........:p

B in Santiago

EXACTLY!!!!

would you want some Dominican cook making your fried eggs in a half gallon of oil, superheated to molten lava temperatures? have you ever seen a Dominican pot with a handle? know why? they turn the stove up so high that the flames engulf the utensil, and burn off the handles.

cook the stuff yourself. you can get all of that here, except, perhaps, the grits.

craigP

Dec 4, 2012
Thank you, as soon as the landlord responds to my umpteen messages regarding this broken refrigerator ( the bottom part does not chill,) I am planning on going to La Sirene.....

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Thank you, as soon as the landlord responds to my umpteen messages regarding this broken refrigerator ( the bottom part does not chill,) I am planning on going to La Sirene.....

You will probably wait until Hell freezes over............
Enjoying a good meal is second only to enjoying a good woman............
Purchase a new inexpensive (lol) refrigerator and enjoy your meals..........

B in Santiago

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
You will probably wait until Hell freezes over............
Enjoying a good meal is second only to enjoying a good woman............
Purchase a new inexpensive (lol) refrigerator and enjoy your meals..........

B in Santiago

sage advice. hell will freeze before your ice cubes

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
craigP, I too like my American Breakfast. The hotel Gran Almirante has a good breakfast you might give a try. Sorry to say you won't find grits or biscuits but it may quench that appetite a bit.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
i am lazy , sometimes. i just wanted to make a quick pie, and was not in the mood to do the dough. besides, it was a graham cracker crust...
That's all I've seen there. It does work, however...

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
when you just want to make a simple key lime pie, they are really convenient.
If one could only get Key Limes here...;)

I've used them for easy no-bake cheesecake and other deserts.

Not gourmet, but work well for the intended use. The ones I've seen are granola crusts...

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
My first thought was for you to go back to Georgia.

Obviously, you know very little about this country and your taste buds are accustomed to the fat food (yes, I left out the 's') style that has the US population so grotesquely obese. Yes, I have enjoyed Denny's once, I think. I read somewhere that Denny's has a 4,500 calorie breakfast....OMG!

That said, you can get bacon and eggs, toast and good coffee (not the watered down dish water from Starbucks or Dunkin D)
at a very reasonable price.(Supermercado Central on 27 de Febrero) There is a breakfast place on Ave. Texas that will make you sausage and eggs and toast. Grits you need to import, easy to do.

Of course, you could cook your own, since all of the ingredients (even blueberries) are available at Nacional Supermarket.

As I sit down to sunny side up eggs, bacon, toast (whole wheat), orange juice and great organic, mountain grown Oliva Family coffee...I will think of you....

And you are right, Presidentes and pretty faces (and axxes) are not enough.

(ever since that trial, I have never been able to use OJ for orange juice!)

Happy HB==>who also enjoys eggs, fried salami, boiled plantains and onions with coffee and orange juice.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
If one could only get Key Limes here...;)

I've used them for easy no-bake cheesecake and other deserts.

Not gourmet, but work well for the intended use. The ones I've seen are granola crusts...

no bake cheesecakes? ohhh..the humanity..

ok, next time, use a packet of jello lemon pudding and your local lime juice...the flavor is lovely. not key lime, but a lovely twist. make sure you add a level teaspoon of zest..yum.