1,000 prostitutes spook Sosua?s tourism

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
[h=2]1,000 prostitutes spook Sosua?s tourism[/h]
Sosua, Dominican Republic.- People in Sosua complain of rampant prostitution that scares families to stay away from the Atlantic Coast?s top tourism destination.
Representatives from community organizations, neighborhood councils and town authorities quoted by elcaribe.com.do estimate that at least a1,000 women exercise prostitution, though only one percent are natives of Puerto Plata province, according to their statements.
Sosua mayor Ileana Newman acknowledges prostitution?s alarming jump in recent years, noting that those women have taken over its main street, Pedro Clisante, to offer their craft round the clock.
?Tour operators have told us they can?t bring tourists, because we?re overwhelmed in prostitution and that?s causing a serious problem for those of us who?re committed to more family tourism,? Newman said, adding that, many women avoid Clisante St. to not be mistaken for a hooker.
Source: DT

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
[h=2]1,000 prostitutes spook Sosua’s tourism[/h]
Sosua, Dominican Republic.- People in Sosua complain of rampant prostitution that scares families to stay away from the Atlantic Coast’s top tourism destination.
Representatives from community organizations, neighborhood councils and town authorities quoted by elcaribe.com.do estimate that at least a1,000 women exercise prostitution, though only one percent are natives of Puerto Plata province, according to their statements.
Sosua mayor Ileana Newman acknowledges prostitution’s alarming jump in recent years, noting that those women have taken over its main street, Pedro Clisante, to offer their craft round the clock.
“Tour operators have told us they can’t bring tourists, because we’re overwhelmed in prostitution and that’s causing a serious problem for those of us who’re committed to more family tourism,” Newman said, adding that, many women avoid Clisante St. to not be mistaken for a hooker.

Thanks for the groundbreaking news.....

tim c

May 3, 2007
I was out last night and seen 2 to 3 hundred but not a thousand. Maybe I should look in another part of town. As for the reason I live in Sousa it is because of the women that come here. I enjoy the company of a twenty year old lady to that of an over weight women that comes from North America. If you don't like Sosua for whatever reason don't come here. I can assure you that you will not be missed. As for scaring away tourist I seen over a hundred last night that were having a good time. Would they be here if it wasn't for the ladies ? If the tour operators are "overwhelmed" maybe they should move to....???? Where in the world can you not find one, or a thousand.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Maybe I'm just an ignorant on this, but I don't get why they go to so much trouble with Sosua alone.
For starters, it's not like Sosua has the best beaches in the area, so regular tourists who like to go to the north coast probably feel more attracted to Samana, Cabrera or PP than Sosua, or at least they have multiple choices.
I have the feeling that the sex tourists contribute more to the economy of Sosua than the family tourists, because sex tourists still use hotels, restaurants and transportation, and additionally they spend money on the girls.
I can undertand that people who decided to move to Sosua years ago may feel offended by the current situation, but I really don't think that's going to change no matter what they do. I'm sure Gazcue neighbors in SD, with all their money, have done all they could to remove hookers from Av Independencia and malecon, and the only visible change is, if any, the increase of the number of prostitutes.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
As for scaring away tourist I seen over a hundred last night that were having a good time. Would they be here if it wasn't for the ladies ? If the tour operators are "overwhelmed" maybe they should move to....???? Where in the world can you not find one, or a thousand.

The tourists they're talking about are not the ones you saw makin' it rain on Pedro Clisante last night.

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
How come they don't like these girls alone, let them make their money and if the families are not happy, I'd say: Go somewhere else that's it.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
though only one percent are natives of Puerto Plata province

could someone explain this ??

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
though only one percent are natives of Puerto Plata province
could someone explain this ??

easy. hos commute, just like any other worker :) since there are so many job openings in ho stroll business in sosua many professionals decide to relocate to benefit from the market boom.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
[h=2]1,000 prostitutes spook Sosua?s tourism[/h]
Sosua, Dominican Republic.- People in Sosua complain of rampant prostitution that scares families to stay away from the Atlantic Coast?s top tourism destination.
Sosua mayor Ileana Newman acknowledges prostitution?s alarming jump in recent years, noting that those women have taken over its main street, Pedro Clisante, to offer their craft round the clock.
?Tour operators have told us they can?t bring tourists, because we?re overwhelmed in prostitution and that?s causing a serious problem for those of us who?re committed to more family tourism,? Newman said, adding that, many women avoid Clisante St. to not be mistaken for a hooker.

So, only 10 hookers are from POP province, which holds a decent amount of people (from Veraga, Sosua, POP, the NC until Puntia Rucia, down past Imbert).

They lost me right there

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
It is amazing how much focus is put on this little stretch of road in Sosua. What do we have here, 200 or 300 yards of bars and restaurants? It's like this is the only place in the whole town where people go. Why do people go here in the first place?

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
easy. hos commute, just like any other worker :) since there are so many job openings in ho stroll business in sosua many professionals decide to relocate to benefit from the market boom.

They're all "good girls" back home. Nothing wrong with going to the beach town to make a little money "waitressing" to help out with the family finances. Most are Mothers and some are Wives.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
They're all "good girls" back home. Nothing wrong with going to the beach town to make a little money "waitressing" to help out with the family finances. Most are Mothers and some are Wives.

At least their working for the money and being productive. Otherwise i guess you could run them out, lock them out or force them to join the abundance of thief's/scammers and liars. Maybe the gOvernment could supply them with handheld computers and teach them how to roll back odometers for the cars imported from USA

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Is there disagreement with the notion that the citizens of Sosua and their elected leaders have the right to decide what sort of community Sosua should be?

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Is there disagreement with the notion that the citizens of Sosua and their elected leaders have the right to decide what sort of community Sosua should be?

Ken, I understand your point, but that "right" is an illusion. Communities are what the conditions demand. If the conditions existed for Sosua to become a hookers paradise, that's what it became. Saying "I don't want this or that" is not going to change anything. Prostitution is not illegal in DR, so the working girls have a constitutional right to work in Sosua or any other place within DR.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010

Just like the 1,000 hookers have the right to decide where to go and provide their 100% legal service. I think part of the local citizenry is just unhappy that girls from other parts of the country come and take "their rightful jobs". And tour operators "who can't bring tourists to Sosua" are using the hookers as an excuse to the mayor, but really Sosua has absolutely nothing else to offer to tourists.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Ken, I understand your point, but that "right" is an illusion. Communities are what the conditions demand. If the conditions existed for Sosua to become a hookers paradise, that's what it became. Saying "I don't want this or that" is not going to change anything. Prostitution is not illegal in DR, so the working girls have a constitutional right to work in Sosua or any other place within DR.

I have trouble following your logic. Are you saying that the citizens and elected leaders don't have the right to decide whether they want their community to continue to be a destination for sex tourists? To be a meca for prostitutes from all over the country, and beyond?

If so, I certainly could not agree with that. Perhaps I am old fashioned, but I still believe the people who live in a community have the right to make decisions about the future of their community and that this is a "right" not an "illusion". This applies to all communities in any country, not just to Sosua.

I also believe that those foreign to the community who do not like the change should seek sex elsewhere rather than as a previous poster stated, that the long-time citizens of a community who did not like living in a sex tourist destination should pack up and move.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
I have trouble following your logic. Are you saying that the citizens and elected leaders don't have the right to decide whether they want their community to continue to be a destination for sex tourists? To be a meca for prostitutes from all over the country, and beyond?

If so, I certainly could not agree with that. Perhaps I am old fashioned, but I still believe the people who live in a community have the right to make decisions about the future of their community and that this is a "right" not an "illusion". This applies to all communities in any country, not just to Sosua.

I also believe that those foreign to the community who do not like the change should seek sex elsewhere rather than as a previous poster stated, that the long-time citizens of a community who did not like living in a sex tourist destination should pack up and move.

So, prostitution is legal in the DR. The solution is to harass the people who are considered to be prostitutes until they leave? What makes Sosua any different from every other city or town in the DR? It exists in every town in the country, is there just too much in Sosua?