Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Storm coming....is a generator necessary?

For those that have been in the Santiago (Gurabo) area for the storm seasons, has the power gone out for days? I have an inverter (3.5KW) with 4 batteries. I figure under my use I could get 6-8 hours of power. Has the power been gone for more than that during last year's storm season? Also, does anyone know a place in Santiago where they rent generators? Cheers!

When I was living in Long Island we would have power outages for 6-8 days during storm season.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Its tough to say, this storm does not look its very strong at all, and does not have much chance of strengthening, so we may just get a bunch of rain. But a bunch of rain could trip the local transformer, depends where you live. Expect maybe some 30-40 mph winds, unless we get the storm wall then maybe 50-60mph. Its also possible the storm goes further south and we get virtually nothing from it, but computer models predict a more northward trend.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Each storm is different, so you have to plan ahead. If you think the storm is going to be bad, then save your power as much as possible. In a bind, how many lights do you really need? Conserve what you have and you should be fine.

In the case of Chantal, it might get to Category 1 status, but will probably only be a tropical storm. The biggest threat is rain and flooding. Be prepared for humidity.

My preparation for Chantal: made sure I had plenty of water; put envelopes, paper, and a few other items in airtight containers (I lost lots of envelopes last year because of humidity of Sandy); made sure buckets are empty as my roof leaks in three spots; went to the store for weekly shopping so I don't have to go out in the rain. And that's all I plan on doing. If it were already a category 2 or 3, my plans would be very different.

Given the unreliability of the power grid here, a generator is a good thing to have. I am researching generators now, but I'm trying to find a generator that works on propane, since that is so much cheaper here (and it runs more quietly).

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

a back up gen set is a good idea anywhere subject to storms, and especially here.

We have installed 10 Kw of inverter w/ 16 battery's and storm season the gen set comes out for a time or 2 for 1 - 3 days at least.

Four hour of 6 Kw generator running during the highest consumption of the day and charging the batteries, give us at least the next 20 hours on the inverters.

Here ain't n better than long island.

With the present path and wind conditions of Chantal I would predict country wide blackout for at least 2 days, I sure hope she decides to swerve south or north as most of her predecessors have before, but she does indeed look like a straight on crash into the DR on wed.

g'luck

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

When is this storm supposed to happen and will it hit Santo Domingo?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Where you live it would be rare that power would be out for more than 8 hours in any one day. That might happen once a year. You could easily make it to 12 hours by buying 4 bags of ice for the fridge an unplugging it and not using the fans nor toaster.

7. Likes susan77 liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

i would not bother too much for chantal. like someone said: make sure you stock up on basics like presidente and brugal. i mean water, water, of course

here we have two large water bottles plus enough food to last us at least a week. few weeks if you count freezer and pantry. cistern is nearly full of water too, it can be boiled and used for drinking too, in case of emergency. our inversor is 3.5 with 8 batteries, last big blackout proved we could go on for a long time. it lasted 36 hours and that could be easily stretched to 48 if we started saving power from the get go.

my additional advice is to get some candles and matches, charge all torches and have some extra batteries. as soon as the power in the middle of the storm goes off start switching off all the unnecessary crap, cut down to one bulb and a computer. your four batteries will last a bit longer then.

9. Likes susan77 liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

My flight to Santiago arrives Thursday @ 8:40 PM-- Hope the runway lights are on!!!

11. Likes puryear270 liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

hold on to your puke bag, it's gonna be hell of a ride

13. Likes susan77 liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dv8 View Post
    i would not bother too much for chantal. like someone said: make sure you stock up on basics like presidente and brugal. i mean water, water, of course

here we have two large water bottles plus enough food to last us at least a week. few weeks if you count freezer and pantry. cistern is nearly full of water too, it can be boiled and used for drinking too, in case of emergency. our inversor is 3.5 with 8 batteries, last big blackout proved we could go on for a long time. it lasted 36 hours and that could be easily stretched to 48 if we started saving power from the get go.

my additional advice is to get some candles and matches, charge all torches and have some extra batteries. as soon as the power in the middle of the storm goes off start switching off all the unnecessary crap, cut down to one bulb and a computer. your four batteries will last a bit longer then.
    Great advice. Maybe an extra 4 batteries may be a better buy than a generator? Generators Ive seen online are going for nearly $20K pesos, 5KW gasoline ones. Im pretty sure this time of the year generator prices are higher than normal. Any suggestions on where to buy a generator for a good price?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast