Buying Land Need Some Advice & Inheritance

MitchSaso

Jul 5, 2013
Buying Land Need Some Advice

I am looking to buy land in DR, But I would Like some Advice on the Process or am i on the right track to buying ?

Once I find the land the First thing i want to do is get an honest know attorney so that he can make sure that all the paper work of the land are in good standing once the attorney say yes then I would buy.

Also I got another question, If a person is married and the wife goes out and buy land but does not put the Husband on the Land title does that mean that his kids that were before the marriage would still Inherit 25% or only the Kids that were in the marriage ?

Thanks
Saso​

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
Buying Land Need Some Advice

I am looking to buy land in DR, But I would Like some Advice on the Process or am i on the right track to buying ?

Once I find the land the First thing i want to do is get an honest know attorney so that he can make sure that all the paper work of the land are in good standing once the attorney say yes then I would buy.

Also I got another question, If a person is married and the wife goes out and buy land but does not put the Husband on the Land title does that mean that his kids that were before the marriage would still Inherit 25% or only the Kids that were in the marriage ?

Thanks
Saso​

My advice on buying land in the DR is not to. It would have been a great idea back in the 80s and early 90s when it was undervalued, but land here is overpriced now. Plus, do you really want to "own" land in a country with no 911 system, with incessant government corruption, that shows no sign of growth or advancement? If you're looking for legal advice I can't help, I would recommend contacting the Guzman law firm. But if I were you instead of investing in land here I would start or buy an existing business that provides steady cash flow.

Oh, one other thing. Be careful of buying land here because a lot of the land has squatters on it, and after purchasing it you may have difficulty getting the squatters off due to the laws here. I recently read about this in a book and this is something you will want to watch for.

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
As soon as she she buys the land, even though she does not include her spouse,
he will be entitled to 50% per Dominican Law. Upon his death, his 50% will be
divided among ALL his children that he had outside of the marriage and during
the marriage. The other 50% belongs to the wife.

Anything bought during the marriage, house, car, etc. spouse is entitled
to 50%.

MitchSaso

Jul 5, 2013
My other question is this, wouldn't a reputable attorney pull all the info on the Land/lot before there client buy it, as to make sure that the Land/lot is in good standing in re-guards to paperwork?

Thats the purpose of getting an attorney correct ?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The property owners have to go through a process of title clearence called "deslinde" where government certified surveyors come in and measure the property and then check against existing claims and property titles. In theory, at least, this eliminates
the possibility of fraud. It will cost the property owner some RD$50,000 to as much as RD$100,000 to do this, BEFORE he can sell the land. (Caveat: Unless the property owner is the ORIGINAL owner--so I was informed).

Good luck, choose wisely,

HB

Drake

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
You would want to get a Certificado of No Gravamen on the title to check if their are any funny business going on like embargoes ect/and make sure like Hillbilly said that the land is deslindado. You probably want to talk to neighbors to get a feel of past owners, if there are family issues ect. It sounds obvious but make sure that the property you think you are buying is where you think it is in relation to the title and the person selling is the actual owner or is legally empowered with a poder to sell. Check ids cedulars.

MitchSaso

Jul 5, 2013
So in over all Would an Attorney make sure of all this ?

Or is there a 1,2,3 Steps that I should follow to insure what I am buying is Legit ,

Thanks
Guy's

Last edited:

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
Once you have a deslinde, that is proof enough.(that's your proof that the property is legit) The deslinde
has the seal(from the court) of authenticity. A judge has to sign it.

Yes, a lawyer can verify authenticity as the property is registered through the court that it is legit.
(that the owner has gone through the process of the deslinde)

MitchSaso

Jul 5, 2013
So if someone tells me that that they have the Deslindo then I should Hire the attorney to make sure that its all real and
registered correctly and can over see the transfer over to me correct ?

bronzeallspice

Mar 26, 2012
So if someone tells me that that they have the Deslindo then I should Hire the attorney to make sure that its all real and
registered correctly and can over see the transfer over to me correct ?

Yes, you should hire an attorney. He/she will verify all documents are correct and over see
the transfer. You will get the title.

Jul 4, 2010
All considered, I would ill advise on purchising rural real estate in the DR. Your best bet is to rent, or if for production, a partnership with the real owners.

jaiallen

Jul 9, 2010
Reputable attorney? They are almost impossible to find in the U.S., and when you look at the corruption here, keep in mind that much of it is caused by those who hold law degrees. If you would do some browsing here on DR1, you will find many posts where it's the attorney who is often the on who "rips" the client foreigner off. I pretty much agree with the previous poster, I would advise not to purchase land in the D.R. unless it's a necessity. Investment purposes? Keep in mind that the property here is way overvalued, and that Dominicans have the propensity to just reach into the sky for a figure that has nothing to do with the actual value of the property, and try to find some "sucker" who will buy at that price, and even when they are informed that the property isn't valued even close to what they are asking, they will hold on to that property until they receive their asking price, worth it or not. As far as investment, you aren't going to profit from it, especially as a foreigner unless you find another foreigner willing to throw away money. Dominicans rarely pay value for anything.

I have several attorney's among my in laws here, and except for the old great-grandfather who had ties to Trujillo, who is the honest one actually, none are even remotely trustworthy. I wouldn't trust any of them, and they're relatives. If you're looking to invest, follow the many words to the wise and look elsewhere.