Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default which smart phone and how much ?

ok,, I am a smart phone newbie.. Should I get an Iphone, an adroid, or other? I have Claro with wifi at home. Can I just get a smart phone without a data plan since I don't need to surf the net all the time and can access from hot spots in the Hood, right? as I understand it? Not that I understand it. Because I do not know the difference between 3 g or 4 g or an Android or a Blackberry or an Iphone.. So advice is welcomed.... thanks..

also estimates of how much I should plan on spending.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mountainannie View Post
    ok,, I am a smart phone newbie.. Should I get an Iphone, an adroid, or other? I have Claro with wifi at home. Can I just get a smart phone without a data plan since I don't need to surf the net all the time and can access from hot spots in the Hood, right? as I understand it? Not that I understand it. Because I do not know the difference between 3 g or 4 g or an Android or a Blackberry or an Iphone.. So advice is welcomed.... thanks..

also estimates of how much I should plan on spending.
    i know of a guy who has an android phone which is a copy of the Samsung Galaxy S4. exact copy. an S4 at Claro will set you back something like 30 grand. this will set you back 5 grand.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I would suggest an iPhone. It has a more intuitive user interface than Android.

You don't need a dataplan, but the phone gets cheaper when you buy a more expensive (data)plan. If you take a voice only plan, I think you might need to pay 30,000 pesos or so for the phone, if not more.

Another option is to buy a used iphone.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Annie,

What will you use the phone for?

What is important for you?
    - Cost
    - Featurerich
    - Sturdy
    - Fashionable

If all you care about is a cheap functional phone that let you use applications like Whatsapp, Viber and a few others, don't mind advertisements and aren't too concerned about security then buy a used Android phone (Galaxy S3 or Sony Experia).. if you like the physical keyboard, low data use and encryption buy a used BB.

If you want stylish go for the Iphone, maybe a used 4S.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Annie, I have a iPhone 3GS that works great, is unlocked, that I could sell you cheap. But I won't be there until December.

Administrator
    DR1.com

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Speaking of data plans, Orange has these Internet mini-packages as they call them, that are ideal for casual user or as a backup connection: prepaid, no plan, no deposit, just pay between 120 (30MB) and 380 pesos (300MB) for a 30 days access, and works great with iphone, or android.

7. Likes mountainannie liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VJS View Post
    Speaking of data plans, Orange has these Internet mini-packages as they call them, that are ideal for casual user or as a backup connection: prepaid, no plan, no deposit, just pay between 120 (30MB) and 380 pesos (300MB) for a 30 days access, and works great with iphone, or android.
    That would be an option for me to try out Orange and get rid of the horrible 3g service of Claro.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VJS View Post
    Does Claro offer something like that too?

Administrator
    DR1.com

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlterEgo View Post
    Does Claro offer something like that too?
    No, Claro's minimum 30 day access prepaid package is 1,723 right now, according to their website.

11. Likes mountainannie liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I phone is the easiest to use by far! The newest Blackberry is HORRIBLE. I got it for my wife b/c there was nothing else available in our area. We returned it 10 days later and got the Galazy S4. (begging since they don't usually do this) It is an awesome phone but probably has to much sutff on it for what you will use. GET ANYTHING BUT THE BLACKBERRY!

I am going to get the iphone 5 this week. I thought I could do without an iphone but Can't. My wife will probably try to fight me for it so I will end up with the Galazy S4 which is an awesome phone, better than the i phone but we just like iphones better :-)

Good luck in your search :-)

13. Likes mountainannie liked this post
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast