which smart phone and how much ?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
ok,, I am a smart phone newbie.. Should I get an Iphone, an adroid, or other? I have Claro with wifi at home. Can I just get a smart phone without a data plan since I don't need to surf the net all the time and can access from hot spots in the Hood, right? as I understand it? Not that I understand it. Because I do not know the difference between 3 g or 4 g or an Android or a Blackberry or an Iphone.. So advice is welcomed.... thanks..

also estimates of how much I should plan on spending.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
ok,, I am a smart phone newbie.. Should I get an Iphone, an adroid, or other? I have Claro with wifi at home. Can I just get a smart phone without a data plan since I don't need to surf the net all the time and can access from hot spots in the Hood, right? as I understand it? Not that I understand it. Because I do not know the difference between 3 g or 4 g or an Android or a Blackberry or an Iphone.. So advice is welcomed.... thanks..

i know of a guy who has an android phone which is a copy of the Samsung Galaxy S4. exact copy. an S4 at Claro will set you back something like 30 grand. this will set you back 5 grand.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I would suggest an iPhone. It has a more intuitive user interface than Android.

You don't need a dataplan, but the phone gets cheaper when you buy a more expensive (data)plan. If you take a voice only plan, I think you might need to pay 30,000 pesos or so for the phone, if not more.

Another option is to buy a used iphone.

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Annie,

What will you use the phone for?

What is important for you?
- Cost
- Featurerich
- Sturdy
- Fashionable

If all you care about is a cheap functional phone that let you use applications like Whatsapp, Viber and a few others, don't mind advertisements and aren't too concerned about security then buy a used Android phone (Galaxy S3 or Sony Experia).. if you like the physical keyboard, low data use and encryption buy a used BB.

If you want stylish go for the Iphone, maybe a used 4S.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Annie, I have a iPhone 3GS that works great, is unlocked, that I could sell you cheap. But I won't be there until December.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
Speaking of data plans, Orange has these Internet mini-packages as they call them, that are ideal for casual user or as a backup connection: prepaid, no plan, no deposit, just pay between 120 (30MB) and 380 pesos (300MB) for a 30 days access, and works great with iphone, or android.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Speaking of data plans, Orange has these Internet mini-packages as they call them, that are ideal for casual user or as a backup connection: prepaid, no plan, no deposit, just pay between 120 (30MB) and 380 pesos (300MB) for a 30 days access, and works great with iphone, or android.

That would be an option for me to try out Orange and get rid of the horrible 3g service of Claro.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

Does Claro offer something like that too?

I phone is the easiest to use by far! The newest Blackberry is HORRIBLE. I got it for my wife b/c there was nothing else available in our area. We returned it 10 days later and got the Galazy S4. (begging since they don't usually do this) It is an awesome phone but probably has to much sutff on it for what you will use. GET ANYTHING BUT THE BLACKBERRY!

I am going to get the iphone 5 this week. I thought I could do without an iphone but Can't. My wife will probably try to fight me for it so I will end up with the Galazy S4 which is an awesome phone, better than the i phone but we just like iphones better :)

Good luck in your search :)

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003

As much as I hate to recommend ANY apple product due to their draconian policies, in your case, an Iphone is the best option.

You do not need a data plan as long as you only plan on using the internet on the phone while at home or at a wifi hotspot. I would suggest purchasing the phone abroad. Unless you happen to find someone selling one used in good condition on emarket. I would never pay full price for an iphone due to them being so overly expensive.

The reason I recommend the iphone is due to it having a much easier learning curve than all the other brands of smartphones. It has a much more intuitive interface.

If price is a consideration then I recommend a new 1-2 yr old android phone (android is simply the operating system of the phone). Android phones are made by many companies but I recommend a motorola. If you are ok with using ebay for a purchase, you can find a new android phone with top specifications from 1-2 yrs back for under $300 USD. In this case I recommend the Motorola Atrix 2.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i have an alcatel one touch. simple and cheerful. also cheap, less than 10k. even a total dumbass like myself can use it, that should tell you something... :) and if you get one of those you can count on my help in setting it up and operating :)

Jan 17, 2009
What type of computer do you use at home? If you use a Mac, definitely get an iPhone. Very easy to maintain a single contact list and calendar.

If you use iTunes, also get an iPhone. You'are already set to back up your contacts list.

Feb 7, 2007
If you get ANY smartphone form Claro or Orange, unless you pay exaggerated straight-purchase cash price they will make you take a data plan. You cannot activate a new smartphone bought with a plan without a dataplan. The only way around is is to buy your own phone somewhere else or buy for straight purchase price, which will be 35k+ pesos for Galaxy S4.

Feb 7, 2007
i know of a guy who has an android phone which is a copy of the Samsung Galaxy S4. exact copy. an S4 at Claro will set you back something like 30 grand. this will set you back 5 grand.

Exact design copy, maybe. I have investigated these Chinese knockoffs for a long time, and while they look the same, they aren't the same. What you will be missing - gps, screen resolution, camera quality. Plus other internal phone specs, such as processor and graphics card. Does it have fingerprint and iris scan? Most likely not. I would rather buy a Chinese name-brand phone (e.g. Lenovo) than a knockoff look-alike Galaxy S4.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Exact design copy, maybe. I have investigated these Chinese knockoffs for a long time, and while they look the same, they aren't the same. What you will be missing - gps, screen resolution, camera quality. Plus other internal phone specs, such as processor and graphics card. Does it have fingerprint and iris scan? Most likely not. I would rather buy a Chinese name-brand phone (e.g. Lenovo) than a knockoff look-alike Galaxy S4.

depends on whether or not you need all the features you list. some of these chinese phones are very well reviewed in consumer reports. i have seen a few that are even higher regarded than the name brands. besides, if you do not need iris recognition, and such esoteric things, 5000 is a long way from 30,000

If you get ANY smartphone form Claro or Orange, unless you pay exaggerated straight-purchase cash price they will make you take a data plan. You cannot activate a new smartphone bought with a plan without a dataplan. The only way around is is to buy your own phone somewhere else or buy for straight purchase price, which will be 35k+ pesos for Galaxy S4.

You ca get an iphone or a galaxy without a plan but it is extremly expensive, I galaxy s4 was almosy $900, th iphone is around $650. Both wotr
h it in my opinion.

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003

I agree. If you must buy a chinese brand phone, make sure it is at least a name brand, lenovo, Huawei, ZTE. At least with those brands you get a little bit of quality control. Although some chinese knockoffs get decent reviews, they just dont have the quality control or design control to insure a quality product. It will always feel and act like cheap knock off.

The alactel phones that Orange sells (at least the higher spec'd ones) are actually a decent price. Maybe 20-50 dollars more than you would find on ebay. I highly suggest looking for something that has at the very least a "dual core" processor (ensures that the phone is fast enough to handle everything you want it to do). The top end Alcatel phone meets those specifications and are decently priced at Orange (especially if you already have an orange account and have some fidepuntos accumulated).

IMHO, the only brand of phones that should be purchased directly from Orange are the Alcatel phones. They are the only brand that Orange prices some what competitively.

No phone today is worth $900USD. Not an S4 not an iphone 5, nothing.

Last edited:

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I agree. If you must buy a chinese brand phone, make sure it is at least a name brand, lenovo, Huawei, ZTE. At least with those brands you get a little bit of quality control. Although some chinese knockoffs get decent reviews, they just dont have the quality control or design control to insure a quality product. It will always feel and act like cheap knock off.

The alactel phones that Orange sells (at least the higher spec'd ones) are actually a decent price. Maybe 20-50 dollars more than you would find on ebay. I highly suggest looking for something that has at the very least a "dual core" processor (ensures that the phone is fast enough to handle everything you want it to do). The top end Alcatel phone meets those specifications and are decently priced at Orange (especially if you already have an orange account and have some fidepuntos accumulated).

i am an Alcatel fanboy. inexpensive, and solid. you can make calls from 20,000 leagues under the sea, and still get connectivity.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
You ca get an iphone or a galaxy without a plan but it is extremly expensive, I galaxy s4 was almosy $900, th iphone is around $650. Both wotr
h it in my opinion.
Just make sure which iPhone you get. They gave once their flagship iPhone 4 a budget phone treatment not incorporating everyday features Siri and others. If you don't care for such a thing even looking at iPhone 3GS is going to save you a lot more money. The new iPhone and iOS(software) is coming and I am not going to be surprised they take away or not give any some of the features on iPhone 4S. If 5S don't, I am sure they will on iPhone 6, because this is how Apple roll.