Google Map Navigation now available in DR!!!

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Good news!
The one of the sources said google map navigation is now available in DR!
Can anyone confirm?

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I hope it doesn't drain my battery as Waze does...and Waze doesn't do voice directions does it?

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
How do you cache map data?
I just found out that without data the navigation with cached map won't recalculate the route, you need data to calculate the rerouting proess.

The caching maps depends on maps version but mine is at 6.14.4 has Offline and Cache on the menu. The linked method works on newer version 7.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I just found out that without data the navigation with cached map won't recalculate the route, you need data to calculate the rerouting proess.

The caching maps depends on maps version but mine is at 6.14.4 has Offline and Cache on the menu. The linked method works on newer version 7.

This is probably android? I just read that on the new google maps versions google is going to remove the offline maps function (android) as well as the latitude function (android and iPhone).

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
This is probably android? I just read that on the new google maps versions google is going to remove the offline maps function (android) as well as the latitude function (android and iPhone).
They didn't removed it yet. The cnet link I posted earlier works for newer maps that got updated in US few days ago. Being in DR, I guess we get delayed updates? Those with iPhone 5 in DR what's your version number?

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
I've used it in The DR before with offline maps which Google has allowed for years now. Even if you don't use data as long as you have the GPS turned on google maps will show you where you are.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
I had just tried offline map and I have very mixed feelings. The Route was spot on. It mapped the way I always took since it was fastest way home. But without data connection there were no voice directing to turn. It just ringed a bell.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012

Never mind...
My maps got updated to map version 7.0.1...

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Never mind...
My maps got updated to map version 7.0.1...

Talk about a company taking an excellent product (Best in its class) and completely fudging it up. If you haven't upgraded to the new version of maps then don't. The interface is nice, cleaner, etc...but they took away lots of nice features (i.e. no lattitude, some of the layers like gas stations are gone, no distance for GPS, etc). They want to force people to use Google+ as they haven't been able to compete head to head with Facebook so they move features like Lattitude over there, but then the map Google+ uses is a crappy version of Google maps (it doesn't even have an option for satellite view mode).

The offline version is supposedly still there, but you now have to type "OK MAPS" in the search field. When I tried it didn't do anything. Utterly ridiculous.

You have to wonder what motivates a company to change something that works perfectly and cripple it...I wish I understood what Google is thinking with this one.

If you don't want to update make sure auto update is not set in the Play app. If you did update already and want to go back you probably have to have a rooted phone and install an older version of the maps app (.apk file) or a different ROM or older version of gapps.

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012
Talk about a company taking an excellent product (Best in its class) and completely fudging it up. If you haven't upgraded to the new version of maps then don't. The interface is nice, cleaner, etc...but they took away lots of nice features (i.e. no lattitude, some of the layers like gas stations are gone, no distance for GPS, etc). They want to force people to use Google+ as they haven't been able to compete head to head with Facebook so they move features like Lattitude over there, but then the map Google+ uses is a crappy version of Google maps (it doesn't even have an option for satellite view mode).

The offline version is supposedly still there, but you now have to type "OK MAPS" in the search field. When I tried it didn't do anything. Utterly ridiculous.

You have to wonder what motivates a company to change something that works perfectly and cripple it...I wish I understood what Google is thinking with this one.

If you don't want to update make sure auto update is not set in the Play app. If you did update already and want to go back you probably have to have a rooted phone and install an older version of the maps app (.apk file) or a different ROM or older version of gapps.
Yeah x-ing latitude sucks but you don't have to ok map any more. The caching map is there on bottom of the search results.