The Dominican way of solving a flooded patio...

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
...is making several holes in the wall that divides your patio with your neighbors so all the water runs through their patio and floods their outhouse while you also make a hope in that wall.

You gotta love Dominican neighbors.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
No, I'm the one with the outhouse. But I wonder if that's the correct word. Just a little room outside the house where you keep bikes, tools, etc.

Dec 26, 2011
No, I'm the one with the outhouse. But I wonder if that's the correct word. Just a little room outside the house where you keep bikes, tools, etc.

Shed might work better.

An outhouse is understood by speakers of American English to be a letrina.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
The standard drainage practice is that one is not supposed to impede the natural flow of water. Therefore, if a wall is built that could possible retain water due to it being in a low area holes should be added to allow the existing drainage flow patterns to remain. :)

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
That wall is there for 12 years at least. I told them yesterday that next time they have a problem, why don't they talk to me, instead of unannounced making holes in a shared wall. They live in Rosmil, which always floods with heavy rain, I live in Los Restauradores, and we actually never have problems with flooding, while the streets are kept empty of trash. Their garden is literally a pile of garbage, attracting all kinds of animals. The water that came running through my patio was probably contaminated from the mess they have in their backyard. I have three small children who I would like to be able to play in the patio without being afraid they get sick of the track of the neighbors.
Anyway, I told them that next time the water is coming until their waist just call me and we find a solution. And most of all, clean your backyard, and don't leave the garbage in the streets covering the drainage.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Mauricio

I appreciate your concern. Nonetheless, if your neighbors do not allow the water to pass it could possible cause the wall to collapse which could hurt someone or cause a big rush of water and debris to damage your house. Unfortunately the best thing to do in this case is exactly what your neighbors did. BTW, i've been working as a drainage engineer for 20 years.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
The standard drainage practice is that one is not supposed to impede the natural flow of water. Therefore, if a wall is built that could possible retain water due to it being in a low area holes should be added to allow the existing drainage flow patterns to remain. :)

yeah, it the OP here who is dumb. what a joke.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Do you also know about drainage of rooftops.......I have two leaking roofs that are probably caused by the water not finding a way to the ground...........:D

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"$hit Flows Down Hill"!
My house is at the TOP!
No problems here.
If you live in the DR, and have a roof over your head, it WILL LEAK!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
What type of roof is it?
Well the shed has an inclined concrete roof, with on two sides a flat part. The flat parts have some filtration problems. I have been thinking of make it incline a little bit, but it will mean it will run to the patios of the neighbors, so that's not going to work.

And then I have a more serious problem. Attached to the house there is a terrace, with a wooding roof. The connection is an inclined concrete roof, (from the house incline down, then a metal canal to have the water removed and than the inclined wooden roof of the terrace. The last beam in concrete (before the metal canal and the wooden roof, has serious filtration problems. I'm not sure yet if it's from rainwater or from a broken tube in the bathroom tthat is on the second floor, diagonally above the area that has the problems. It has leaked when it doesnt rain and also when I removed the pressure from the tubes for a few weeks.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Well the shed has an inclined concrete roof, with on two sides a flat part. The flat parts have some filtration problems. I have been thinking of make it incline a little bit, but it will mean it will run to the patios of the neighbors, so that's not going to work.

And then I have a more serious problem. Attached to the house there is a terrace, with a wooding roof. The connection is an inclined concrete roof, (from the house incline down, then a metal canal to have the water removed and than the inclined wooden roof of the terrace. The last beam in concrete (before the metal canal and the wooden roof, has serious filtration problems. I'm not sure yet if it's from rainwater or from a broken tube in the bathroom tthat is on the second floor, diagonally above the area that has the problems. It has leaked when it doesnt rain and also when I removed the pressure from the tubes for a few weeks.

Water in concrete can take a couple of weeks to dry out. Please post a picture of the beam in question. If I understand correctly there is a pipe that runs inside of the column are close by?

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Water in concrete can take a couple of weeks to dry out. Please post a picture of the beam in question. If I understand correctly there is a pipe that runs inside of the column are close by?

Here three pictures to have an idea of the situation.
FC8CA070-C054-45F7-A8A5-FF0A49DE5E53-2406-0000029DF97F6C17_zps6cda9017.jpg

1494E969-B3FC-424B-8D5B-6B0938CAC6B9-2406-0000029E6364E71F_zpsf77d045e.jpg

0F674AFC-86B8-4D48-AB7B-8D9063182E90-2406-0000029E7622E9C1_zps10c46a72.jpg

The yellow wall you can see a little bit from on the left of the last picture is also the bathroom. People have told me I must have broken tubes and the water is running within the inclined roof to find its way through the beam. It might be but the inclined roof doesn't seem to have any filtration. The wood that covered it is completely clean in the inside.