Beach Day?? Near Santiago

craigP

Dec 4, 2012
Hi guy's - I want to relieve the stress of city living - I am thinking a beautiful beach weekend may be the answer - I live in Santiago not far from the Caribe and Metro bus depots, any suggestions? * side note* I went to Boca Chica public beach about a month ago and quite frankly it reminded me of a scene common in Calcutta, India, the water looked filthy and murky , it was filled with what looked like hundreds of ' locals' dressed in street clothes in the water and quite frankly I could have sworn I saw one toddler defecating right in the water!! so any suggestions on a good beach near Santiago would be appreciated, I'll also need a hotel..... thanks

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Or if you feel like doing something new, Montecristi is less than 2 hours also. It's a quiet town and very few visitors, so it's pretty relaxing.

craigP

Dec 4, 2012
Or if you feel like doing something new, Montecristi is less than 2 hours also. It's a quiet town and very few visitors, so it's pretty relaxing.

Montecrist that sounds very interesting, I am a little cautious about Sosua, From what I hear a single ( Gringo) gets harrassed quite a bit by 'vendors', the opposite of what my aim is this weekend.....

May 12, 2005
Montecrist that sounds very interesting, I am a little cautious about Sosua, From what I hear a single ( Gringo) gets harrassed quite a bit by 'vendors', the opposite of what my aim is this weekend.....

Then try Playa Ensenada in Punta Rucia. Worth the effort to get there.

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
Punta Russia. Very small and no one goes there. Excellent seafood. Not the best places to stay, but ok.

Also, there is the Riu Merengue which is cheap this time of year and probably your closest. I know people are talking about it, but seriously, I have a Brit friend there all this week and he says it is fine and worth going back. The Brit lives here and operates a small hotel in the center of the country. So, he is a good judge.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
if you want to go somewher in caribe or metro you are pretty much limited to POP, sosua or cabarete at best. punta rucia is very pretty but off the beaten path, so is montechristi. you will have to take a smaller guagua from santiago and probably change at least once on the way to both of those places.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Punta Russia. Very small and no one goes there. Excellent seafood. Not the best places to stay, but ok.

Also, there is the Riu Merengue which is cheap this time of year and probably your closest. I know people are talking about it, but seriously, I have a Brit friend there all this week and he says it is fine and worth going back. The Brit lives here and operates a small hotel in the center of the country. So, he is a good judge.

Riu Merengue should be no problem..he is accustomed to seeing people take a dump in the water.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
Monte Cristi has my vote.Has restaurants a beach house where you can shower if you are just going for the day and places to fish.

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
You can take the Jamao road up north and turn right in Sabaneta to head to nice beaches around Rio San Juan, such as Playa Grande or Caleton (this one will be busy with Dominicans on the weekend though) - same 2 hours one way but with spectacular views most of the way. Alternatively, there are some nice river places around Jarabacoa, quite a bit closer to Santiago.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005

It's funny people keep saying this. I must be ugly or scary...I rarely get approached. Some times they ask me if I want to check their shop or have a drink at their bar but it is never in any way aggressive and a polite no is all that is needed. Amazing.

craigP

Dec 4, 2012
It's funny people keep saying this. I must be ugly or scary...I rarely get approached. Some times they ask me if I want to check their shop or have a drink at their bar but it is never in any way aggressive and a polite no is all that is needed. Amazing.

A friend of mine recently told me when he was leaving Sosua he was afraid to look back lest he turn into a 'pillar of salt'!!!

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
A friend of mine recently told me when he was leaving Sosua he was afraid to look back lest he turn into a 'pillar of salt'!!!

I wonder what those tropical medusas had on their heads instead of snakes...

Amu

Oct 4, 2010
U might wanna give Playa Alicia a try (right next to Sosua's public beach), nice beach with an even better atmosphere:

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
take the javilla tours bus and get dropped at cofresi ,10 min walk to beach ,plenty of places to eat, inexpensive drinks at the colmadon in ocean world .

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
If the OP is afraid of Sosua are there hotels close or on the beach in Monte Criste? Bus, Gua Gua's from Santiago.