Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Beach Day?? Near Santiago

Hi guy's - I want to relieve the stress of city living - I am thinking a beautiful beach weekend may be the answer - I live in Santiago not far from the Caribe and Metro bus depots, any suggestions? * side note* I went to Boca Chica public beach about a month ago and quite frankly it reminded me of a scene common in Calcutta, India, the water looked filthy and murky , it was filled with what looked like hundreds of ' locals' dressed in street clothes in the water and quite frankly I could have sworn I saw one toddler defecating right in the water!! so any suggestions on a good beach near Santiago would be appreciated, I'll also need a hotel..... thanks

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Sosua is about 90 minutes away and so is Puerto Plata.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Or if you feel like doing something new, Montecristi is less than 2 hours also. It's a quiet town and very few visitors, so it's pretty relaxing.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Or if you feel like doing something new, Montecristi is less than 2 hours also. It's a quiet town and very few visitors, so it's pretty relaxing.
    Montecrist that sounds very interesting, I am a little cautious about Sosua, From what I hear a single ( Gringo) gets harrassed quite a bit by 'vendors', the opposite of what my aim is this weekend.....

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by craigP View Post
    Montecrist that sounds very interesting, I am a little cautious about Sosua, From what I hear a single ( Gringo) gets harrassed quite a bit by 'vendors', the opposite of what my aim is this weekend.....
    Then try Playa Ensenada in Punta Rucia. Worth the effort to get there.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Punta Russia. Very small and no one goes there. Excellent seafood. Not the best places to stay, but ok.

Also, there is the Riu Merengue which is cheap this time of year and probably your closest. I know people are talking about it, but seriously, I have a Brit friend there all this week and he says it is fine and worth going back. The Brit lives here and operates a small hotel in the center of the country. So, he is a good judge.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

if you want to go somewher in caribe or metro you are pretty much limited to POP, sosua or cabarete at best. punta rucia is very pretty but off the beaten path, so is montechristi. you will have to take a smaller guagua from santiago and probably change at least once on the way to both of those places.

On Probation
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DR_Guy View Post
    Punta Russia. Very small and no one goes there. Excellent seafood. Not the best places to stay, but ok.

Also, there is the Riu Merengue which is cheap this time of year and probably your closest. I know people are talking about it, but seriously, I have a Brit friend there all this week and he says it is fine and worth going back. The Brit lives here and operates a small hotel in the center of the country. So, he is a good judge.

Riu Merengue should be no problem..he is accustomed to seeing people take a dump in the water.

9. Likes DR_Guy liked this post
    On Probation
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Frank the Tank View Post
    Sosua is about 90 minutes away and so is Puerto Plata.
    by Metro? naah..an hour, maybe.

*** I love DR1 ***
    Post Thanks / Like

Monte Cristi has my vote.Has restaurants a beach house where you can shower if you are just going for the day and places to fish.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast