The Haitian Genetics Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
As new studies are done to discover the actual genetic composition of the inhabitants of Haiti, this thread will grow and more factual information will be made available.

For now it will be limited to this study that was publish this very July 2013 concerning Y-chromosomal diversity in Haiti and Jamaica.

Quick Overview of Sex Chromosomes and mtDNA

Every human inherits a pair of sex genes, one from the father and another from the mother. There are only two sex genes (Y is for the male gene and X for the female gene). Women inherit two X chromosomes that are passed down along the maternal lines of her mother (and her mother’s mother, mother’s grandmother, etc) and her father’s mother (and his mother’s mother, mother’s grandmother, etc). Men, on the other hand, inherit an X chromosome from their mother and Y chromosome from their father. Similar to the X chromosomes, the Y chromosome is passed from great grandfather to grandfather to father to son and so on.

In order to distinguish the geographic origin of a person, Scientists take into account the Y chromosomes (in males only) and the mtDNA in both, men and women. The mtDNA (also known as mitochondrial DNA) is inherited along the maternal line by both men and women and its inherited with no mutations at all. What this means is that a person’s mtDNA links directly to a woman somewhere in the world that lived lets say 500 years ago. In what part of the world this woman lived depends on the lineage of each person.

People of full single geographic descent will have the same continental origin along their Y chromosome and their mtDNA. In other words, a person of full or overwhelming European ancestry may have a European Y chromosome and a European mtDNA. A person of mixed origins might have a European Y chromosome and an African mtDNA or any other type of mixture.

Results of Haitian Study

This study was based on Y-chromosomal diversity in Haiti and Jamaica. What this means is that the focus was on the origin of paternal genetic lines in the Haitian and Jamaican populations. In the Americas, Y chromosomes are of European descent among whites and among most mixed race individuals, pointing towards a pattern of initial interracial mating between European man and Native American or African women. Considering the history of the Western Hemisphere, this shouldn’t be surprising.

It goes without saying that probably well over 90% of Haitians have African mtDNA (maternal line), but this was not the focus of this study.

The findings in this study for the Haitian population were as follows:

- 77.2% have Sub-Saharan African Y chromosomes. (For comparison, this very same study found that 66.7% of Jamaicans have Sub-Saharan African Y chromosomes).

- 20.3% of Haitians have European Y chromosomes (compared to 18.9% of Jamaicans).

- The study also detected Chinese and Indian (from India, not the Americas) Y chromosomes, but exclusively among Jamaicans and not Haitians.

In essence, the majority of paternal lineages in Haiti are of African origin and 1-in-5 Haitians can trace their paternal heritage to Europe (most likely French considering Haiti’s history and I always suspected that in the regions of Haiti that were part of the DR –the Centre Plateau area- and were settled by Canary Islanders, there’s probably some Spanish blood mixed in the population too).

Y-chromosomal diversity in Haiti and Jamaica: Contrasting levels of sex-biased gene flow.

If anyone knows of any other genetic or DNA studies on the Haitian population, share them here!

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
I thought they was from a different planet...

White,yellow and black "Race" comes from differet planets!

JJ

pelaut

Bronze
Aug 5, 2007
www.ThornlessPath.com
In the very early 1500s the Spanish settled Hispaniola central north coast with forced emigration from the Canary Islands. Monte Cristi, like SW Puerto Ricans, refer to themselves as "isle?os".

An interesting side note: the original CI settlers ran up to two meters in height at a time when the Spanish were lucky to exceed five feet (cit. archeologist Jos? Maria Cruxent, actual skeletons at Castillo de Isabela Vieja and the armor of Felipe Segundo at El Escorial). I don't think anyone has nailed down where these "white Watusis" off the African coast came from, but it wasn't Europe.

Last edited:

K-Mel

Apr 15, 2012
Haitian African ancestors are mainly from the Bight of Benin ( whydah slave trading post), with a large input from Congo, Cameroun, west Africa ( Guinea and Senegambia region). But most of their ancestors are from Benin (ancient Dahomey) and Togo. French mixed with their slaves too in Haiti or Saint Domingue, Guadeloupe, Martinique, Guyana, Mauritius or la Reunion Island, fair article which rebukes that 100 % pure blooded African nonsense.

Jamaicans have Indian blood like Trinidadians, or some others people in the French west indies ( Guadeloupe, Martinique , Mauritius etc) because of the " Coolies " trade who came up to replace the emancipated slaves. In Cuba and other places in South America, the coolies were also Chinese ( sometimes referred as the " Pig" trade).

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
If you look at many Haitians one can see that they're from West African descent. In Surinam the bush creoles as they are called still speak the original language from Africa which is Ghanese. Off course over the centuries it has changed a bit. The Asanti in Ghana made their wealth with the slave trade.

explorer1

Jul 7, 2013
I am interested in knowing why this topic is of so much...interest.

The reason:
I am a native of the U.S. (no pun intended), and am typically assumed to be African American, although genetically speaking, the overwhelming majority of my heritage (maternal and paternal) is Native American, and to a lesser degree, European. Whenever I bring this up in conversation (even with relatives who KNOW this to be true), I find that African Americans typically become enraged, implying that they think I am trying to "escape" being African American. Often, they respond by saying that they have Cherokee, Blackfoot,(insert-your-favorite-First-Nation-here) blood, on their daddy's cousin's, mamma's side, or some similar nonsense.
When speaking on the subject to Whites, I find that I am generally confronted with the "doe in the headlights" stare...
That being said, "I is what I is"; I don't wear it on my sleeve, but refuse to acknowledge the comparatively little African heritage I have as the determining factor in my racial identity.

How it relates to this thread:
Having learned a bit about my true heritage, I find it more difficult to fit in here in the States. Blacks want me to be Black, Whites want to make me Black; I am proud of my true heritage. Having recently spent some time on the east coast, in a town with a very large population of people from El Salvador, Brazil, Ecuador, and Haiti, I found most people significantly easier to deal with than my Midwestern "brethren". (You have to spend time in Michigan, Illinois and Indiana to understand why I mention this.) The one exception was...wait for it... the Haitians. Almost without exception, they were the ones who refused to make eye contact or say "hello". they were the ones who broke into my conversations with others as though I was not there, and were typically rude as hell. Ultimately, I was actually told by one Haitian that they were not like "Black people", in that they had morals, manners, and were able to behave (I am paraphrasing) in a civilized manner.

What a difference a geographical location makes...or does it?

Last edited:

K-Mel

Apr 15, 2012
The Asanti in Ghana made their wealth with the slave trade.

I don't agree with this part, which is just not correct when you look closely at the history of the slave trade. Alfred Burton Ellis accounts of the slave trade in the Gold Coast refutes this allegation, and the heroic efforts of King Nana Kwamena Ansa to kick out the Portuguese from Ghana ( they started the slave trade in this area by building The Elmina Fort) in particular Diego de Azambuia is another proof that your statement is absolutely not correct.

explorer1

Jul 7, 2013
Not to put too fine a point on things...

The fact that it was the slave TRADE, indicates that someone gained by selling people to others. Clearly some of the people were European. Seeing that the peoples of Africa have historically been overwhelmingly African, and the people who were traded to European slavers were African, it stands to reason that someone of African origin became wealthy as a result of the slave trade.

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
We speak of the African-Caribbean races matter-of-factly, almost as if these people were actually considered human during the colonial era. When I read objective Caribbean history I am appalled by the accounts. Scientific studies after-the-fact pale in comparison to the import and drama of the 17th & 18th centuries (if you include atrocities against the native Caribbeans, then consider the 16th century too). Whenever dr1 Haitian threads are posted, the bias, disregard, and absence of knowledge regarding the epoch (not all of us are guilty of this) is evident. Europeans, whom many of us descend from (no study on genetics needed here) rode the backs, blood, sweat, and tears of African slaves for their own ruthless aims for the greater part of 300 years.

While we may individually feel that we owe no one for happenings of yore, IMHO we need to hold a certain recognition, and then humility and respect, and yes, gratitude, for the role Africans have played, and continue to play, in our lives. Races should not take other races for granted. I can almost guarantee that informed African descendants don't take the stories of Toussaint Louverture and Jean Jacques Dessalines (no expat13, he is not a former Quebec Nordique goalie) lightly either.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
I don't agree with this part, which is just not correct when you look closely at the history of the slave trade. Alfred Burton Ellis accounts of the slave trade in the Gold Coast refutes this allegation, and the heroic efforts of King Nana Kwamena Ansa to kick out the Portuguese from Ghana ( they started the slave trade in this area by building The Elmina Fort) in particular Diego de Azambuia is another proof that your statement is absolutely not correct.

Melly, do some more reading
A professor at Harvard University Henry Louis Gates Jr. has blamed the ashanti empire for actively partaking in the slavetrade and profitting from it. He argues that the ashanti empire directly captured and sold human beings for immense economic gain.

?The savage chiefs of the western coasts of Africa, who for ages have been accustomed to selling their captives into bondage and pocketing the ready cash for them, will not more readily accept our moral and economical ideas than the slave traders of Maryland and Virgini.

Professor Gates writing in the New York times said the culpability of American plantation owners neither erases nor supplants that of the African slavers. The African American professor cited ex president Rawlings as being one of the few African leaders who have openly apologized for the role Africans played in the trans Atlantic slave trade.

The professor noted that the sad truth is that the conquest and capture of Africans and their sale to Europeans was one of the main sources of foreign exchange for several African kingdoms for a very long time adding the Asante Empire in Ghana exported slaves and used the profits to import gold.

The eminent black scholar asked did these Africans know how harsh slavery was in the New World? Actually, many elite Africans visited Europe in that era, and they did so on slave ships following the prevailing winds through the New World. He argues that it is difficult to claim that Africans were ignorant or innocent.

The professor whose wrongful arrest recently caused a racial debate in the US drawing in president Obama added that the problem with reparations may not be so much whether they are a good idea or deciding who would get them; the larger question just might be from whom they would be extracted.

Jake akwasi sarkodie

freelance journalist. frankfurt,Germany http://jakegh.blogspot.com/2010/04/ashanti-empire-blamed-for-slavery.html

Ashanti Empire blamed for slavery | General News 2010-04-28

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
It could be said that Haitians were sold into slavery numerous times, by the Africans who delivered them to the Portugese port in Africa who sold them to the French, who transported them to Haiti, and then again to the French,, aided by the United States and the rest of the world who made the Haitians pay the plantation owners for the loss of their "land" even though all the wealth had been built with slave labor. Haiti was the only country to have to pay for its independence. It did not FINISH paying for this debt until 1947.

For those who BLAME the HAITIANS for the DEFORESTATION. Note that the Mahagony Tree, which is a canopy tree for the forest, was the most valuable item available for sale.

Aristide was the first to call on France for the reparations and the repayment of the debt. Which made him wildly popular with the Haitians and unpopular with the international community.,

This year, there was a fake video announcing that France would repay the debt

watch it here. very impressive job France Will Not Repay Haiti Reparations - NYTimes.com

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
Great stuff Mr. Recktenwald. It makes all the sense that boatloads of West African slaves would be made ready (by Ashanti royalty) for expediting triangular trade pickups. Absolution/blame should not be so much in question today, though. Scientific inquiry of historical evidence (not so much genetic research) has greater conversational importance, particularly, albeit not exclusively, for those that have interest in the DR.

explorer1

Jul 7, 2013
Reparations... hmmm.
Being descended from peoples who were nearly wiped out by Europeans, with the aid of Africans (or did you know that is one of the things the buffalo soldiers did?), I find it difficult to believe that they are owed anything...

Sometimes, in spite of ones past disadvantages, and as difficult as it may be, it is necessary to do what one can with what one has. The history of the human race (arguably the only race) is rife with atrocities. There is more than enough blame, humility, reverence, and appreciation to go around, as well as deserving recipients of the same.

This is the kind of conversation I am unable to have at home, without things inevitable decaying into name calling. Good to see that is not happening (thus far, at least) here. Interesting discussion.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I can almost guarantee that informed African descendants don't take the stories of Toussaint Louverture and Jean Jacques Dessalines (no expat13, he is not a former Quebec Nordique goalie) lightly either.

With all due respect Louverture and Dessalines were little different than the French slaveowners due to their racist disregard for innocent human life. Louveture and Dessalines were responsible for the racial genocidal massacre of thousands of non combatant civilians in Santo Domingo and Saint Domingue and should not be remembered as anything other than ruthless military leaders. Maybe worse still is this legacy of racism is still evident today in Haiti and is a large reason why Haiti has not progressed.

Last edited:

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
I am interested in knowing why this topic is of so much...interest.
This is simply one more tool in understanding history and who a people are. It also helps clarify history itself, unearth whatever was hidden or forgotten, and a bunch of other stuff. It also has medical implications, because the different genetic composition of people results in different reaction to various diseases and even to the medicine. The Mexican government recently finished a massive genetic study on the Mexican population for this very same reason, to develop medicine that will work best in accordance to the genetic make up of their population, because most medicines for most diseases were developed taking caucasians as the beneficiaries and, as such, are designed to work best in caucasians while sometimes it may cause complications on other types of peoples.

And then there's the clarification of certain ideas that are floating around. For example, I was once told that colonization implies the imposition of a foreign culture on a group of people that have no connection to such culture. Its based on this idea that many "de-colonization" movements have taken place. In most regions of the world this is quite legitimate. For example, in much of Africa there are people that speak languages native to Europe when the people themselves are not of European descent.

In the situations where this becomes complicated is primarily in the Americas. How can anyone say that a person with French ancestry, even if they also have ancestry from other places, suffers from the effects of colonization whenever such person speaks French, has a French value system, and celebrate French culture? The answer is that they are not a "colonized" people, because they do have a very real and historic connection to France, in addition to other places when it comes to mixed origin peoples. The French language is as much proper to such person as the language of any of their other ancestors. The concept of colonialism doesn't quite works well in much of this side of the Atlantic.

That's the gist of it. The nicest thing about genetics is that it tells the story of man with no buts, maybes or make believe. It tells you "this is what you are" and that's that. A person can go into shock, they can accept it and embrace it or they can deny it, but that's what you are and the end. LOL

There's a saying that a close friend told me a few months ago and I think its very much the truth:

We are not a part of history, but our history is within us.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
The other thing is that this is a small island.. well a BIG island but an islolated population, and two nations which are very different from one another, both in history, culture and racial history. They are one of the few divided nation islands in the world and have not had an easy history. Things got better for a bit. Now things seem to be getting worse. There is a divide of language. There is divide of culture and customs. There is a constant accusation against the Domnicans that they deny their African heritage which is true to an extent because first they were told by Trujillo that they were Spanish and Indian, not Negro, and that they do not have anything really of an African culture.

so just exploring their roots.. The majority of the 20 million people here will never get off this island.

Status
Not open for further replies.