Piano Bars in the DR

Kozy

Jun 1, 2002
Are there any good piano bars in the DR ? I've got the itch to listen some good piano licks in a cool atmosphere. Thanks K

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Are there any good piano bars in the DR ? I've got the itch to listen some good piano licks in a cool atmosphere. Thanks K

get a good pair of headphones, and enable foobar on your pc. the DR is the land music forgot.

Kozy

Jun 1, 2002
Actually, I went to a really cool piano bar in the capital more than 20 years ago. Just don't remember where it was. There must be at least ONE in the country- Anybody ?? Thanks K

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Actually, I went to a really cool piano bar in the capital more than 20 years ago. Just don't remember where it was. There must be at least ONE in the country- Anybody ?? Thanks K

20 years ago was before the bachata became a decent commercial venture. nobody plays real music anymore

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
I'm surprised to see I'm not the only one that thinks their is no music in DR. The only thing they have is this awful merengue and bachata. You hear people about DR: sun, dance, music...

Music? What music, what they listen to here is not music!

Kozy

Jun 1, 2002
I love bachata as well as merengue and salsa. I also enjoy a piano bar- K

Viajero

Bronze
Dec 16, 2011

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Popular and good are not necessarily the same thing.

windeguy, as i posted before, one thing i like about music is that when i listen to it, the skills of the musicians make me stand in awe. i played bass guitar as a teenager, and i was no darn good. i gave my bass away when i was 18, and never played again.

know why i find bachata to be crap?if you give me one week of practice, i can fill in for a bachata bassist. that is not good.

Viajero

Bronze
Dec 16, 2011
You folks are the self-proclaimed authorities on what is "good" music and what people do around the world so I won't waste any more time responding to your judgements.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
You folks are the self-proclaimed authorities on what is "good" music and what people do around the world so I won't waste any more time responding to your judgements.

nobody proclaimed anything. all i am saying is that if i can play it, it sucks!!

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

I see, a person that does not like a debate. Fine. Others will carry on, I am sure.

I had been to a number of Bachata and Merengue shows when I first moved to the DR. The musicians are very disrespectful of the fans. They frequently show up at midnight or later, play for an hour and leave. And Gorgon has a point, I have never seen anyone play that style of music and leave in awe of their ability.

Dec 26, 2011
For the defenders of Dominican music, enjoy it. All we're saying is that it(the new stuff in particular) lacks diversity and complexity. It's designed to appeal to the LCD. Of course it's not challenging.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I see, a person that does not like a debate. Fine. Others will carry on, I am sure.

I had been to a number of Bachata and Merengue shows when I first moved to the DR. The musicians are very disrespectful of the fans. They frequently show up at midnight or later, play for an hour and leave. And Gorgon has a point, I have never seen anyone play that style of music and leave in awe of their ability.

you are not in awe, because you are a musician, and they are not. the kids learn to play an instrument by learning to play a genre. i have watched guys learning guitar, and they are all practicing to play bachata riffs.i went to a show a few weeks back, which was to start at 8. i guess they said 8, so guys would get there at that time, and down a case of beer before the band showed up at 10.30. by 12, the thing was over. not that i cared; i just went to the show to meet chicks.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
at school i put my music teacher in desperation. i am sure she was popping prozac followed by a bottle of pepto bismol every time it was my turn to sing anything. tone deaf is not enough said. hyena is tone deaf. i am worse: i am a tone deaf hyena howling out lyrics to lady gaga's love game. i make people's ears bleed and leak the yellow waxy stuff before they foam at their mouth and pass out. i also lack coordination to play any musical instrument. so yeah, maybe i am not the best judge here but god almighty how all this latin music sucks!

boring, boring, boring. old people's music. if you like it then your dick has been soft for over two decades, you wear depends and your current crush is nurse ratched. it's just horribly, horribly bad. but if you want piano casa colonial in POP has a pianist and the bar is stunning. so there, it took me only half a page to say something relevant to this topic...

Dec 26, 2011
at school i put my music teacher in desperation. i am sure she was popping prozac followed by a bottle of pepto bismol every time it was my turn to sing anything. tone deaf is not enough said. hyena is tone deaf. i am worse: i am a tone deaf hyena howling out lyrics to lady gaga's love game. i make people's ears bleed and leak the yellow waxy stuff before they foam at their mouth and pass out. i also lack coordination to play any musical instrument. so yeah, maybe i am not the best judge here but god almighty how all this latin music sucks!

boring, boring, boring. old people's music. if you like it then your dick has been soft for over two decades, you wear depends and your current crush is nurse ratched. it's just horribly, horribly bad. but if you want piano casa colonial in POP has a pianist and the bar is stunning. so there, it took me only half a page to say something relevant to this topic...

Yes and no.

It's not generational. Every generation has great music. You just have to dig for it. Burt Bacharach and Rage Against the Machine are both relevant. As are Juan Gabriel and Antony Santos. But yeah, the latest is pretty weak.