Mosquito Bites

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
When I first got here, the mosquito bites used to swell up and itch for five days. Now they hardly bite me. I always figured that I just live here now and do not hava a "foreign" sorta smell to me.. Really scientific, huh? It is not as if I eat lots of platanos or anything..

here is an artcle about why they bite some and not others

https://socialreader.com/me/content...dgets&utm_campaign=wpsrTrendingExternal-1-opt

Jul 4, 2010
The article left out important reasons why mosquitoes don't bite you as often, and you don't break out as bad. For the later, it's because you have built an immunity to the mosquito allergen. For the former, mosquitoes are territorial, and also learn from their environment, which means they can tell 'friend' from 'foe', and it seems they have become familiar with you, which means you are now 'family', and you don't bite family, mostly. ;)

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
The article left out important reasons why mosquitoes don't bite you as often, and you don't break out as bad. For the later, it's because you have built an immunity to the mosquito allergen. For the former, mosquitoes are territorial, and also learn from their environment, which means they can tell 'friend' from 'foe', and it seems they have become familiar with you, which means you are now 'family', and you don't bite family, mostly. ;)

So a mosquito lives long enough to develope senses? Like I intelligence?

I've started so I'll finish but I know that sounds stupid.

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Something not widely known these day although probably your Granny knew, if you wash with carbolic soap, proper carbolic soap with carbolic acid or phenol in it not just, as is too common these days, the smell of carbolic mosquitos will not attack you. I understand this soap can be bought in most of the Caribbean islands except RD. It is actually still manufactured in Jamaica.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I heard that Avon Skin So Soft oil worked well to ward off mosquitos. Since I'm a mosquito magnet, I thought I'd give it a try. I took a small spray bottle and mixed some SSS with water. After my shower every day I spritzed some of on my arms and legs, and rubbed it in. Doesn't smell terrible like some insect repellents. It wasn't 100%, but it sure cut down on my bites.

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Something not widely known these day although probably your Granny knew, if you wash with carbolic soap, proper carbolic soap with carbolic acid or phenol in it not just, as is too common these days, the smell of carbolic mosquitos will not attack you. I understand this soap can be bought in most of the Caribbean islands except RD. It is actually still manufactured in Jamaica.

I think carbolic soap will also repel every other living creature - including humans!

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
My favorite is liquid vanilla, a small bottle is like 15 pesos in a baking goods section. Fully natural, works well and smells good too.

May 29, 2006
I haven't noticed mosquito bites since I was a teen. I think you do develop a resistance or you learn not to scratch.

Someone told me if you hold a cigarett over the mosquito bite for a little second, the heat will damage the enzym the mosquito has injected- and so it stops irritate.. (No, if you burn yourself, then it is to close)

No i have not tried it myself since i do not smoke.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com