Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mosquito Bites

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Mosquito Bites

When I first got here, the mosquito bites used to swell up and itch for five days. Now they hardly bite me. I always figured that I just live here now and do not hava a "foreign" sorta smell to me.. Really scientific, huh? It is not as if I eat lots of platanos or anything..

here is an artcle about why they bite some and not others

https://socialreader.com/me/content/...External-1-opt

2. Likes AlterEgo, Harleysrock liked this post
    Dislikes Harleysrock disliked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

The article left out important reasons why mosquitoes don't bite you as often, and you don't break out as bad. For the later, it's because you have built an immunity to the mosquito allergen. For the former, mosquitoes are territorial, and also learn from their environment, which means they can tell 'friend' from 'foe', and it seems they have become familiar with you, which means you are now 'family', and you don't bite family, mostly.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    The article left out important reasons why mosquitoes don't bite you as often, and you don't break out as bad. For the later, it's because you have built an immunity to the mosquito allergen. For the former, mosquitoes are territorial, and also learn from their environment, which means they can tell 'friend' from 'foe', and it seems they have become familiar with you, which means you are now 'family', and you don't bite family, mostly.
    So a mosquito lives long enough to develope senses? Like I intelligence?

I've started so I'll finish but I know that sounds stupid.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Something not widely known these day although probably your Granny knew, if you wash with carbolic soap, proper carbolic soap with carbolic acid or phenol in it not just, as is too common these days, the smell of carbolic mosquitos will not attack you. I understand this soap can be bought in most of the Caribbean islands except RD. It is actually still manufactured in Jamaica.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

I heard that Avon Skin So Soft oil worked well to ward off mosquitos. Since I'm a mosquito magnet, I thought I'd give it a try. I took a small spray bottle and mixed some SSS with water. After my shower every day I spritzed some of on my arms and legs, and rubbed it in. Doesn't smell terrible like some insect repellents. It wasn't 100%, but it sure cut down on my bites.

Administrator
    DR1.com

7. Likes keepcoming, jilly777 liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by granca View Post
    Something not widely known these day although probably your Granny knew, if you wash with carbolic soap, proper carbolic soap with carbolic acid or phenol in it not just, as is too common these days, the smell of carbolic mosquitos will not attack you. I understand this soap can be bought in most of the Caribbean islands except RD. It is actually still manufactured in Jamaica.
    I think carbolic soap will also repel every other living creature - including humans!

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

My favorite is liquid vanilla, a small bottle is like 15 pesos in a baking goods section. Fully natural, works well and smells good too.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't noticed mosquito bites since I was a teen. I think you do develop a resistance or you learn not to scratch.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Someone told me if you hold a cigarett over the mosquito bite for a little second, the heat will damage the enzym the mosquito has injected- and so it stops irritate.. (No, if you burn yourself, then it is to close)

No i have not tried it myself since i do not smoke.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/16/sc...me&ref=general

i know that a fan works.. not the overhead but the direct on one...

friends have mosquito nets but there always seem to be two mosquitos who ae trapped inside with me when i stay over.

for that, they have have the bug sapper paddle so there has to be close encounter warfare for a few minutes before sleep.

but a strong fan seems to do the trick.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast