Teen pregnancy rate doubles the world average: UN

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004

Santo Domingo.- The United Nations Population Fund (UNPF) says 105 of every 1,000 teenagers become pregnant in Dominican Republic, much higher than the world average of 49.

UNFPA Deputy Representative Sonia Vazquez on Thursday said 22.1% of Dominican teenagers have been or are pregnant and also revealed that over 50% of those, whether married or cohabiting, aren?t using family planning methods.

According to Vazquez that rate is significantly higher in the provinces of Azua, with 37%; Bahoruco, with 35%, and Santiago, 29%. She said Independencia, San Cristobal, La Romana, Montecristi, Dajab?n, Puerto Plata and Santo Domingo also have higher teen pregnancy rates.

The percentage of teens who?ve been pregnant at some time in big cities is 18.9%, while in rural areas it?s 24.2%.

In that regard, the impoverished Enriquillo Region (Bahoruco, Independencia, Pedernales and Barahona provinces) is 33%, or triple the teen pregnancy percentage in the Cibao-Northwest Region (Montecristi, Dajab?n, Santiago Rodr?guez and Valverde) which is 11.4 %.

The figures were presented during press conference at the local UN headquarters, as part of the activities to mark World Population Day.

Source: DT

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

Santo Domingo.- The United Nations Population Fund (UNPF) says 105 of every 1,000 teenagers become pregnant in Dominican Republic, much higher than the world average of 49.

UNFPA Deputy Representative Sonia Vazquez on Thursday said 22.1% of Dominican teenagers have been or are pregnant and also revealed that over 50% of those, whether married or cohabiting, aren’t using family planning methods.

According to Vazquez that rate is significantly higher in the provinces of Azua, with 37%; Bahoruco, with 35%, and Santiago, 29%. She said Independencia, San Cristobal, La Romana, Montecristi, Dajab?n, Puerto Plata and Santo Domingo also have higher teen pregnancy rates.

The percentage of teens who’ve been pregnant at some time in big cities is 18.9%, while in rural areas it’s 24.2%.

In that regard, the impoverished Enriquillo Region (Bahoruco, Independencia, Pedernales and Barahona provinces) is 33%, or triple the teen pregnancy percentage in the Cibao-Northwest Region (Montecristi, Dajab?n, Santiago Rodr?guez and Valverde) which is 11.4 %.

The figures were presented during press conference at the local UN headquarters, as part of the activities to mark World Population Day.

Source: DT

that's what happens when you have no cable tv, no computer, and you can't read. what else is there to do besides drinking beer and shagging?

Dec 26, 2011
To expound on the gorgon's post...

This is what happens when a culture feeds on promiscuity-promoting novelas, fathers are absent and uninvolved, mothers that sleep with married men because they're "safer" than single guys are too prudish thanks to religious hangups to talk to their daughters about sex, there is a spiritual vacuum left by religious systems that do nothing to awaken awareness in their flock and men never mature emotionally past thirteen.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
To expound on the gorgon's post...

This is what happens when a culture feeds on promiscuity-promoting novelas, fathers are absent and uninvolved, mothers that sleep with married men because they're "safer" than single guys are too prudish thanks to religious hangups to talk to their daughters about sex, there is a spiritual vacuum left by religious systems that do nothing to awaken awareness in their flock and men never mature emotionally past thirteen.

the guy who lives nextdoor to me has an ex-girlfriend with a lovely looking daughter. young and dumb, but prettier than a hundred dollar bill. now that the affair between himself and mom is over, he is now banging the daughter, while moms sleeps in the living room, on the muebles. i kid you not.

Jul 4, 2010
that's what happens when you have no cable tv, no computer, and you can't read. what else is there to do besides drinking beer and shagging?

CULTURE PLAYS A FUNDAMENTAL ROLE

Here, in Azua, with a 37% teen pregnancy rate, I'd like to add that teen pregnancy and maternity is neither discouraged nor accidental. Actually, it's a matter of pride. As an anecdote: When I registered my daughter Alexandra at the secondary school, Liceo de Peralta, she mentioned that all her female classmates either were pregnant or already had a child. I warned her that the situation was contagious. Well, to maka a long story short, my granddaughter Amaya is almost eighteen month old.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
ha ha ha, i remember when you told the story originally, a long while back. are you telling me you could get your daughter to keep her legs closed? ha ha ha.

jkc

Jun 24, 2013

Here, in Azua, with a 37% teen pregnancy rate, I'd like to add that teen pregnancy and maternity is neither discouraged nor accidental. Actually, it's a matter of pride. As an anecdote: When I registered my daughter Alexandra at the secondary school, Liceo de Peralta, she mentioned that all her female classmates either were pregnant or already had a child. I warned her that the situation was contagious. Well, to maka a long story short, my granddaughter Amaya is almost eighteen month old.

I am not sure, but it seems that it is a norm, in the spanish culture to have kids at an early age or is it simply DOMINICAN?
I always see Young latina/spanish girls with kids.
Anyway, that is very troubling

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I am not sure, but it seems that it is a norm, in the spanish culture to have kids at an early age or is it simply DOMINICAN?

that is a reality i find ironic, given all that strict Catholic ministering regarding matters of the bedroom..or the back seat of cars..or the cabana...or,

Curacaoleno

Bronze
Apr 26, 2013
the guy who lives nextdoor to me has an ex-girlfriend with a lovely looking daughter. young and dumb, but prettier than a hundred dollar bill. now that the affair between himself and mom is over, he is now banging the daughter, while moms sleeps in the living room, on the muebles. i kid you not.
Keep it in the family..

Curacaoleno

Bronze
Apr 26, 2013
Not simply Dominican or Latina.. We have the same issues on Curacao.. Black girls.. Besides the USA has quiet a lot of teen pregnancies as well.

Curacaoleno

Bronze
Apr 26, 2013

But I am sure that your daughter and the father of the child are like a steady couple.. taking care together of their child..

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
UNFPA Rep?blica Dominicana -- D?a Mundial de Poblaci?n: UNFPA insiste en la necesidad de pol?ticas para prevenir el embarazo en adolescentes

here is the original press release on which the article is banned.

Unfortunately, the recommendations in it.. that children be given sex education and access to birth control go against the teachings (seemingly.. although why they are opposed to sex education I do not know) of the Catholic Church.. which appears to want a poorly educated and impoverished population.

The birh rate here, nonetheless, is going down Dominican Republic - Birth rate, crude (per 1,000 people) - Country Comparison so .. if they have their children younger or older.. at least they are having fewer, which is the one sure way out of poverty.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
I guess this is known for many of the male here, but many girls that are just over 20 and still have no kids are actively looking for a man to father her first child. Usually, they target any man that they think will be responsible and recognizes the baby as his. They don't really require the guy to marry her or even live with her. I've known girls who are pretty nervous about getting "jamona" if they haven't had a child by the time they reach 20. Furthermore, I guess most of us resident males know that the reasons for girls to want to have a child with a man don't stop there. They might want you to father her child because they want their children to have "good hair", "colored eyes", "light skin", etc. How they are going to face all the challenges involved doesn't seem to be a concern for them. So all the talk about teaching them about birth control methods is simply missing the target.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I guess this is known for many of the male here, but many girls that are just over 20 and still have no kids are actively looking for a man to father her first child. Usually, they target any man that they think will be responsible and recognizes the baby as his. They don't really require the guy to marry her or even live with her. I've known girls who are pretty nervous about getting "jamona" if they haven't had a child by the time they reach 20. Furthermore, I guess most of us resident males know that the reasons for girls to want to have a child with a man don't stop there. They might want you to father her child because they want their children to have "good hair", "colored eyes", "light skin", etc. How they are going to face all the challenges involved doesn't seem to be a concern for them. So all the talk about teaching them about birth control methods is simply missing the target.

in those cases, everything misses the target.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
in those cases, everything misses the target.

Yes, pretty much. The problem continues to be the governments failure to understand that underdevelopment is not the sum of all things that are missing. Underdevelopment is an attitude, it's a point of view about things in life. If something could be done to teach fathers how to change that in their children, underdevelopment would be history in less than 30 years. But gubmints keep wasting time and resources trying to attack the consequences of underdevelopment. You can put trillions of dollars into that and nothing will change, if anything they might get worse. That's like trying to solve health problems by building hospitals....