Avocado Season

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
As an avocado lover, this article was welcome. We're just now starting to see some Florida avocados, are DR avocados flooding the markets yet?

Q
Avoid Avocados?
I enjoy eating half an avocado every day. A friend suggested I should cut back because of avocado's high fat content. Is this something I should be worrying about?

A
Answer (Published 7/15/2013)
Absolutely not. Avocados - which are fruits, not vegetables - are good for you. They're included in my anti-inflammatory diet, and I encourage you to eat them for many reasons: the fat avocados contain is monounsaturated, which is heart healthy and won't raise cholesterol. In fact, the good fat in avocados can reduce cholesterol and increase the ratio of HDL ("good") cholesterol to LDL ("bad") cholesterol. Avocados also are a good source of fiber. And they provide glutathione (an antioxidant), folate, and more potassium than bananas. But keep in mind that avocados are relatively high in calories -- about 300 for a whole one.

If you love avocados as I do, you're likely to be in better health than people who don't eat them. A new analysis of data from the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES), a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention program, found that people who eat avocados have better diet quality and nutrient intake, lower body weight, lower BMI (body mass index), lower intake of added sugars, higher levels of HDL and a lower risk of metabolic syndrome, than those who don't eat them. The results of the analysis were published in the January 2013 issue of Nutrition Journal.

For those of you who aren't familiar with avocados, here are some buying and preparation hints:

Test for ripeness with a gentle squeeze. If the fruit yields to pressure but doesn't remain dented, it's ripe. A firm avocado will ripen in a few days sitting on a kitchen counter, and a bit faster if enclosed in a paper bag.
To cut an avocado, slice it lengthwise around the seed and rotate the halves to separate. Lift the seed out with a spoon and then peel the fruit with a knife (or your fingers) -- or just scoop out the flesh with a spoon.
A cut avocado will turn brown. Squeeze some lemon juice on the cut surface if you aren't going to eat it right away. Just scrape off any browned areas.
Use avocados as a healthy substitute for other types of fat, including butter, mayonnaise, sour cream, cheese, cream cheese, and cream. Sometimes I spread avocado, instead of butter, on dense and chewy whole grain breads.
Here's a little known fact about avocados: while we're most familiar with the black- and rough-skinned Hass variety, there are more than 900 varieties of these delicious fruits. If you visit places where avocado trees grow, explore and enjoy!

Andrew Weil, M.D.

Avoid Avocados? - Ask Dr. Weil

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
There are a few around at the minute, but they don't taste too good as have been chemically injected with something to ripen earlier. I wrote about them on my blog here

What about your saucepans?: A is for Avocado

I can't wait for them to be ready - another month really before we can pick them and eat them straight off the tree.

Matilda

May 29, 2006
The producers of Haas Avocados have got a lock on US supply. It's pathetic. A 6oz Haas costs $1.50 each and you're lucky if it's not black on the inside. I've managed two Mexican kitchens and after trying to keep fresh avocados in stock, I finally switched over to frozen pulp because it was easier to store and MUCH easier to prepare. Nowadays they come in pastry bags to avoid any oxidation and they add citric acid to prevent browning. I like the Dominican Avocados. I wish I could get them in the US.

As for ripening early, they expose them to Ethylene, which also works to ripen bananas,strawberries, and other fruit. You get the color but not the flavor from natural ripening. You can generate ethylene by putting an old banana in a paper bag with the fruit you want to ripen. Usually works within 24 hours.

em in paradise

May 31, 2013
So is it most likely that the avocado I got from the people on the street corner yesterday are actually from the
US? They are a nice even green and look almost perfect...maybe that's a dead giveaway! Haven't cut into it yet as it's not quite ripe so I don't know what the inside is like.

Dec 26, 2011
They're one of the blessings of the Dominican Republic. I eat them everyday we can find them. They go with everything.

Dandman

May 17, 2004
The small Haas avocados currently cost $1.99 each. I can't wait to get to the DR while they are in season. So good, so large and so CHEAP!

BostonMary

May 18, 2002
The US has avocados other than Haas, they are grown in tropical climates. I have seen avocado trees in Miami. These are the same type as grown in DR. I can find them in Boston

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The US has avocados other than Haas, they are grown in tropical climates. I have seen avocado trees in Miami. These are the same type as grown in DR. I can find them in Boston

You're right, we get those Florida avocados here too. In NJ we get Dominican avocados everywhere, in small produce outlets and in big supermarkets. They have a small label on them, usually from Ocoa.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I'm eating "Aguacates" off my next door neighbors tree now!!!
MY TREE IS ALWAYS A MONTH LATER THAN HIS.
Unless someone is "Injecting" them at night, they are "Clean"!!!!!
The Avocados you buy here are from here, the "Hass" is a rare exception.
But why buy them in the first place.
And don't forget the "Mangos"!!!
They ARE "Flooding The Market" right now!!!
Several varieties.
We like the small bright yellow ones from "Bani".
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i understand there are different types of avocados. what you see on the street (small sellers) is totally dominican. some trees simply come to season a bit earlier.

very strange story about avocados in the USA. when i still lived in london you could get caribbean avocados in few city markets: a bowl with 2-4 fruits was a pound. very cheap. supermarkets had different variety: smaller, darker on the outside with more rough skin. also quite tasty.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
i understand there are different types of avocados. what you see on the street (small sellers) is totally dominican. some trees simply come to season a bit earlier.

very strange story about avocados in the USA. when i still lived in london you could get caribbean avocados in few city markets: a bowl with 2-4 fruits was a pound. very cheap. supermarkets had different variety: smaller, darker on the outside with more rough skin. also quite tasty.

The smaller, darker, bumpier skin are Haas avocados.

We have many different avocado varieties on our property, I think Mr. AE's favorite is the poponol, they're big and long, and bear fruit twice a year instead of once. The basic criollo avocados in DR are tasty too!!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
is haas a variety or a company "producing" avocados? i remember i found them tastier that criollo fruits from the market. the skin was almost purple.
in DR i eat avocados when in season. they are soooo nice!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Hass" is the avocado grown in the USA, mainly California.
They are small compared to Dominican varieties.
They are quite good, and creamy consistency.
I grew my avocado tree from the seed of a HUGE Dominican variety over 12 years ago.
It was the best avocado I had ever tasted, and so are it's "Children"!
"dv", I'll save you some when they are ripe!
Avocados for some"1888"??????????????????????????????
AND some "Olivo Family Blend" of course.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
ps., I can't believe you let "AE's",."Big & Loooooong" description get past you without a comment?????
You OK?????? :cheeky::cheeky:;)

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We have a LOT of avocado trees on our property, a couple of years back Mr. AE planted a bunch of poponol, which produce fruit twice a year. His brother just sent me this photo of some that he picked today [with the caption "feria de popolones"]:

IMG_0709.jpg