Confused on Renewal of Residency

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
What are the requirements for those that are renewing after holding permanent residency over 10 years?? Am confused over the below statement from Guzman.

After
10 years, permanent residents will be issued a definitive residency card, not subject to renewal. An
annual residency fee, however, will still have to be paid.

Do they still have to provide the police report, medical, photos etc, or are they grandfathered in?

If the procedure is different what is it?

I got my first residency in 1995 I believe.

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
You apply for the renewal just like anyone else would, only that you won't have to renew again. So yes, you will have the medical exam, waiting period, police report, and all that.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
oooh, the permanent residents now also have to do again medical exams etc?
thats new to me, my last renewal been in 2011 and i got the renewal for 10 years, so it changed a lot now?

Mike

Alltimegreat

Nov 16, 2012
oooh, the permanent residents now also have to do again medical exams etc?
thats new to me, my last renewal been in 2011 and i got the renewal for 10 years, so it changed a lot now?

Mike

Yes. The new regulations effective since June 1, 2012 make the renewal process for permanent residents more laborious and expensive. They will probably have changed again by 2021 when you will need to renew next.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
yes. it sure will change more than once til then, haha. til 2021 i await all those services to be available to be done right here on the East without the darn ride to the behated Capital City. but that's what i also thought 15 years ago, and still they have no real office on the eastcoast running.

Mike

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
You apply for the renewal just like anyone else would, only that you won't have to renew again. So yes, you will have the medical exam, waiting period, police report, and all that.

My understanding is the current renewals are good for 4 years.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun

that may be now, i don't know.
when i renewed in early 2011i was told right there at the counter of immigrations in Santo Domingo that i can renew for the same time period as the time/years i already have a permanent residency, with 10 years as a max. my permanent residency was well older than 10 years, so i choose the 10 years maximum til 2021.
and the same time i received my cedula valid for the same 10 years, that was new to me on the renewal process, as both been always on different years of expiration.
now my residency expires in 2021 on the day/month when i renewed it, and the cedula expires the same year 2021 but on my birthday(as usual with cedula), which is 5 months later than the residency expiration.

Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
depends what the homecountry says to double citizenship, not every country allows it's citizens to obtain a additional nationality/passport. and there is a number of other points to comsider, a simple example:
for what ever trouble someone may get in, the homecountry's embassy will not be the first spot to contact anymore, because double nationalities usually include the passage "the nearest of your Countries is the one to get in charge for you", and that would be for everything occuring in the DR, the authorities of the DR, no more "i call my Embassador" speechs. you will from then on be handled on all things as a DR Citizen.

Mike

L

legaleagle

Citizenship is an advantage for those who have made a life in this country and have a lot invested in living here. There are foreigners who have bought properties, homes, set up businesses and have many investements. Citizenship also avoids the headaches of the process and expense of renewals.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
i can't comment on what did change on the permanent renewal process the last couple years since i renewed the last time.
mine was easy going, show up at the immigrations office, pay the fees, had to wait less than 30 minutes, photos and electronic signature taken, an other 20 minutes wait and bumm new card in hands.
even much fater a couple months later for the cedula renewal, in and out with new card in hands in not even 20 minutes.
such "hassle" ever 10 years is fine with me, even if it would be every other year.

Mike

miozio

May 23, 2009
i can't comment on what did change on the permanent renewal process the last couple years since i renewed the last time.
mine was easy going, show up at the immigrations office, pay the fees, had to wait less than 30 minutes, photos and electronic signature taken, an other 20 minutes wait and bumm new card in hands.
even much fater a couple months later for the cedula renewal, in and out with new card in hands in not even 20 minutes.
such "hassle" ever 10 years is fine with me, even if it would be every other year.

Mike

Our residency expires September 20th, I will need to take my whole family to the immigration with two small kids one of which is still breastfed. It will really be a hustle for us going around with kids, papers, medical tests once AGAIN

B J

Feb 20, 2013

Hi
i am currently renewing my permanent residency card

my situation was this
i received a 1 yr temp card
folled by a 2 year permanent card which expires end september 2013
i am going with my lawyer to Santo Domingo to renew for 4 years. My lawyer is charging my $600. Which compared to other companies some as high as $1300us is a fair deal i guess?

Tungsten

Sep 5, 2013
www.abreuimmigration.com
Honestly, immigration in this country is so unstable that lots of foreigners with investments who have lived here for a long period of time are going through the naturalization process. Who knows how much harder and costly immigration will get! Citizens do not have to worry about paying RD$20,000.00 every four years.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Honestly, immigration in this country is so unstable that lots of foreigners with investments who have lived here for a long period of time are going through the naturalization process. Who knows how much harder and costly immigration will get! Citizens do not have to worry about paying RD$20,000.00 every four years.

that complete BS.
don't know what 4years cost now, i paid a total of 21.000.- for 10 years of residency, a cheapy, specially considering rich foreigners with big investments and businesses, lol.
Immigrations has nothing to do with your investments, you can even have investmentswithout Residency, you can purchase property with your foreign passport and you are the same protected/at risk with your invest as if you would have taken the DR Citizenship.
the residency/Citizenship/Immigrations Status is only for staying in the country longer than the Tourist Cards allow to stay, that immigrations thingy has zero to do with invests to be secured/on risc or whatsoever.
once you are naturalized your homecountry's embassy is no longer in charge to assist you if needed, so i see naturalization on that point even as a negative/additional risk.

with or without Investments/business etc, a clear Immigrations Status is necessary to stay in the country for extended time periods and to work as a employee in the country.

Mike

Tungsten

Sep 5, 2013
www.abreuimmigration.com
that complete BS.
don't know what 4years cost now, i paid a total of 21.000.- for 10 years of residency, a cheapy, specially considering rich foreigners with big investments and businesses, lol.
Immigrations has nothing to do with your investments, you can even have investmentswithout Residency, you can purchase property with your foreign passport and you are the same protected/at risk with your invest as if you would have taken the DR Citizenship.
the residency/Citizenship/Immigrations Status is only for staying in the country longer than the Tourist Cards allow to stay, that immigrations thingy has zero to do with invests to be secured/on risc or whatsoever.
once you are naturalized your homecountry's embassy is no longer in charge to assist you if needed, so i see naturalization on that point even as a negative/additional risk.

with or without Investments/business etc, a clear Immigrations Status is necessary to stay in the country for extended time periods and to work as a employee in the country.

Mike

Spoken as a true foreigner, this country can choose to do whatever they want where foreigners are concerned. There are measures being taken against foreigners looking to invest/live in the country as we speak. According to three Dominican Consulates abroad and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs 90% of those applying for residency visas are being denied. Some who have held residency and have gone for renewal have not qualified for same and according to sources within the aforementioned agencies things are about to get worse. You see the problem with foreigners is they truly believe that the government binds itself to what is in writing, when the fact is the application of laws and regulations cater to the mood of the government reps that hold office.

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
that's pure BS far away from the reality.
90% of visitors applying for residency get that denied??
you should spend a day at the immigrations office and count the ones who get the 1st residency handed over towards the ones who go out with hanging heads because their request been denied.
i live on the island as a foreigner since 2 decades with permanent residency, cedula, DR drivers license, owner of a Ranch, owner of a residencial property, owner of 2 sports Fishing Yachts, Tenant of a Rented Appartment on the Beach, owner of my own DR based Business, and i can not confirm not one of the points you talk about, the opposite, actually i could not imagine any other country where a newly arriving foreigner with nothing can start up that easy and hassle free as here in the DR, and that's by own experience, not by some out of the air foreign affairs crap statistics.
and yes,
there is a good number of applicants for residency denied, and here comes the 90% number into the game, as about that number of denials may be due illegal substances found during their medical checks, which does not mean they are all junkies on the needle, regularly smoking pot or consumng cocaine(even that a good number shows exactly that), it also includes many applicants who take permanently anti depressive medications without mentioning those in their applications, then on the medic checks such substances show up and the application gets rightfully denied, too.

Mike