Feedback, please

Diametric

Mar 20, 2012
Hello,

After a few years of work and prep, I'm ready to follow the advice found here and make a 6-12 month move to DR! So, I'd like to explain my plan and have folks comment on how it sounds. If it sounds good, please let me know; if it sound as if my head is up my arse, likewise please let me know.

I am flying into POP on 10/1 and will be staying on an AI for 6 days. While there, I'd like to meet with rental agents and view as many properties as possible. Ideally, I'd like to find a place in that 6 day period, but if I need to rent an apart-hotel to hold me over until I can find a more permanent place, then so be it. Once I have a 6-12 month lease on an apartment, I'd like to spend that time getting to know the locals and plug into the expat community. Hopefully that 6-12 months will be enough time to put my finger on the pulse of POP and see if I can remain there permanently. I have enough money where I will not have to work for that first year so I can focus on really determining if it's a good fit.

My questions are:

1. How does my plan sound?
2. Can you recommend a rental/real-estate agent that is trustworthy?
3. Do you know of any rentals in the POP area yourself?
4. My requirements are a furnished studio or one bedroom that is safe and largely 24/7 electricity and not t oo far from the beach - bike or moto access is cool
5. Any specific neighborhoods come to mind? Which ones should I avoid?
6. Once in my place, what is the first thing I should check out as a resident?

That's about it. I know I've rather pummeled you folks with questions, but I'm committed at this point and I'd like to make a successful go at it. Any thoughts, feedback or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully I'll get a chance to meet some of you soon!

Cheers,
-Dylan

I've lived here 6 months and have learned a lot, so a year you would now a lot too if you get out and talk with people both Expats and locals.
6 days could be a bit short to find a place but maybe not? I would email an agent before you come and tell them what you are looking for.
I bought my house within 2 weeks of my vacay.

Volunteering and getting involved with activities can give you more info on living here.

It is hard to find a good paying job here so that would be your only concern unless you have great connections etc...

I'm sure many people on here know of good places to stay in pop and the places to avoid!

Good luck!

Just remember living here is not at all like vacations here!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
The question that first came to mind for me is about employment. You say you don't have to work the first year. What happens after that? Not easy to get a job there......

Diametric

Mar 20, 2012
Might buy/start a business. If I need to work, I'll likely work online as I am aware there are few jobs down there. Is it hard to get a tourims related job? Consierge, tour guide etc...? Not keeping that in even my top five options, but figured I'd ask.

Thanks for the replies so far.

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
6 days to find a place to live permanently sounds a little optimistic. Maybe not so much if you insist on staying close to POP but it is a diverse country. I'd allow for a little more time. You also need to be realistic about the income. Living here isn't as cheap as it might appear and if you need to earn an income you'll need language or tech skills that can't be done by a local. Good luck, we look forward hearing of your experience.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
there are plenty of options in and around POP that fill your needs. i think that the only must is a positive attitude. you need to get into a mode where things do not happen fast :) go give yourself a bit more time to look around in case you do not find a place you like.

i know people who live off working online and some live very well indeed. i would start inquiring about that already, before you leave. after all, if you want an online job that can be done from any place on earth you may just as well start tomorrow :)

good luck :)

Diametric

Mar 20, 2012
Thanks for all your replies. If getting a lease on a permanent spot in 6 days is a bit too optimistic, then can anyone recommend a apart hotel near the beach in POP (hopefully not too expensive) where I can go after the AI until I get squared away?

explorer1

Jul 7, 2013
Hello.

Interesting read. I wish you the best of luck. Gives me some ideas as to how to structure my own plan for relocation.

Can someone please tell me what "POP" means? I see it quite a bit on this forum.

Thanks.

Kozy

Jun 1, 2002
POP has several small, clean hotels at about 25 US a night. Find one you like, then take your time making your apt decision. Above all, practice your Spanish. That is the key to everything. K

Hello,

After a few years of work and prep, I'm ready to follow the advice found here and make a 6-12 month move to DR! So, I'd like to explain my plan and have folks comment on how it sounds. If it sounds good, please let me know; if it sound as if my head is up my arse, likewise please let me know.

I am flying into POP on 10/1 and will be staying on an AI for 6 days. While there, I'd like to meet with rental agents and view as many properties as possible. Ideally, I'd like to find a place in that 6 day period, but if I need to rent an apart-hotel to hold me over until I can find a more permanent place, then so be it. Once I have a 6-12 month lease on an apartment, I'd like to spend that time getting to know the locals and plug into the expat community. Hopefully that 6-12 months will be enough time to put my finger on the pulse of POP and see if I can remain there permanently. I have enough money where I will not have to work for that first year so I can focus on really determining if it's a good fit.

My questions are:

1. How does my plan sound?
2. Can you recommend a rental/real-estate agent that is trustworthy?
3. Do you know of any rentals in the POP area yourself?
4. My requirements are a furnished studio or one bedroom that is safe and largely 24/7 electricity and not t oo far from the beach - bike or moto access is cool
5. Any specific neighborhoods come to mind? Which ones should I avoid?
6. Once in my place, what is the first thing I should check out as a resident?

That's about it. I know I've rather pummeled you folks with questions, but I'm committed at this point and I'd like to make a successful go at it. Any thoughts, feedback or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully I'll get a chance to meet some of you soon!

Cheers,
-Dylan

If you speak alittle of the language everything will be a different world. If you do not have understanding of the language you will most likely be befriended by a helpful "english" speaking motoconcho. He will do all he can to be your best friend so he can dump all his semi true problems over your head when you are ready to be squeezed for money.
Remember they are practicing the "friend" skill all day, every day. They know very well wich buttons to push to enter your wallet. Do not let this happen, do not take their phone number so you can "call" him if you need transport, this is a costly mistake. The better you know these drivers, the higher the price gets.
After a while you will find drivers 1 or maybe 2 you can stick to- but dont rush it. Give yourself a little time to see who fits your needs.

When you stops a moto, ask for the price BEFORE you starts to drive- they know when new meat are on the streets. If they say "no no no problem, you are my friend. Give me whatever you feel like"- Then ask again what the price are or you will find someother driver. Be polite but firm. After a while you know what the prices are around your place. You can also ask people what they pay,- ask in a colmado, maybe they have a useful tip or two.

You ask about location?! The first thing i always finds important is the distance between the mainroad and your home. It is very hot to walk in the sun with a couple of shoppingbags, and believe it or not after i while you get tired of paying money to a motoconcho for every little item you want to buy. Suddently things are not so cheap anymore when you need to calculate long transport costs into every little thing you need to be doing.

Noice: Dominicans are a lively people, they like music and to talk loud any time, anywhere. If yu have an apartment in the city core- prepare yourself for a headache, and a frustration over cars with loudspeakers wanting to buy old metal.Selling fruit, meat. etc. And also some has big speakers attached to the car and they drive around 24/7 with different messaging (no it doesnt matter if the speakers are broke, then they just turn the volume up even higher)

I see you are mentioning a stay for 6 to 12 months. For so short time i would highly reccomend staying in a tourist place. This so you can consentrate on important details instead for being frustrated over the "small" things that exist down here, and you do not notice as a tourist.
When you come down here you do not need a broker to help you find a place, you only need a weeks rent in a hotel to start with. So if you like it where you have been living for a wek- ask them how much they would like for a longtime rent. You can get some very very good price offers the way this island is today. It is a renters marked. Every hotel have rooms avaliable.
Ask around for month to month price. maybe 3months prices?! If you stay 6 months, the price is even better- but i would not recommend it the first week.
If you want to rent an apartment away froma tourist place, then you must remember:
You have to open and pay for the luz, included frustrating discussions with the emploees.
You have to do the same with cable tv.
Water bills, repair, security, and other unknown frustrating things that will surface when YOU DO NOT NEED THEM.
All of these problems go away if you start your new life in a apartment hotel where you just have to pay one bill alone.

Maybe you will like to live another place then POP ?!

Dont get tied up in a place you may not like.
----

Almost forgot, i always go into the bank to withdraw money, This is beacuse if something happen to your card inside the bank, you have less trouble. Outside everyone can attach these "skimmers" to copy your card and then access your money.

This last bit is just the way i do it. Others have possible other opionions around that.

Hope it gives you a couple of ideaswhat to be aware of down here.

Diametric

Mar 20, 2012
Thank you for that informative reply - lots of good info. Fortunately, I have a rudimentary knowledge of Spanish. I plan on buying the Rosetta stone software to help me along. I can get my point across, but I can't conjugate a verb to save my life.

Also, I'm not dead set on POP. We've been to the island twice before and we chose the north side due to it's somewhat less susceptibility to hurricanes. I know there are no guarantees, but we had to choose on something. If I find myself not that happy in POP, I'm all about heading in a different direction. I've been to DR twice, PR and Nicaragua in addition to growing up in Houston, Texas so I'm moderately familiar with the Latino culture. I dig it. Ever since my first visit, I've been planning this move. It took me several years but I'm in spot where I have no kids, no debt, no mortgage and some money for the foreseeable future. So, if not now, when?

I appreciate all the feedback so far. For those in the POP expat community, are there formal or informal meet-ups or hangouts? I'll initially be moving there by myself until I get settled and will then send for the lady in my life. So, I'd like to get to know some of you if for no other reason that to have a knowledge resource to help me along as I learn how live DR style. I'd be lying if I said I'm not a little scared about leaving all of my U.S friends and family behind, but I think in the end, I hope it to be worth the experience. Even if after a year, it doesn't work out, at least I'll know I tried. And at the end of the day, I'd rather have tried and failed than not have tried at all.

Thanks again, you all have been great!

-Dylan

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Thank you for that informative reply - lots of good info. Fortunately, I have a rudimentary knowledge of Spanish. I plan on buying the Rosetta stone software to help me along. I can get my point across, but I can't conjugate a verb to save my life.

-Dylan

Those verbs often get me too......

Dylan, if you don't mind my asking, what is your age?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I'll be 36 this Sunday.

Well, you're young enough to bounce right back if DR isn't right for you. If you can work online, you'll do well there, several of our younger members here do that. To find a job will be difficult, at best.

I admire your plan, would be wonderful to be 36 again :)

P.S. Happy Birthday!