Puerto Plata is a glorified blaxploitation 70's TV Show

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
I've been reading recently of people thinking about moving to the DR and choosing Puerto Plata as their destination.

I can't for the life of me, think of one single reason why someone--who presumably consumes oxygen and is from this planet--would choose Puerto Plata over any place on the north coast--including the jail cells in Sosua or Cabarete.

Of all of the crappy towns to live in on the North Coast, Puerto Plata must rank up their as the most pollution filled, venereal disease-over-flowing (i caught crabs there, twice...from walking down the street), shanty-town crusted, rain deluged, crappy filled restaurants place to live anywhere on the North Coast. The food is better in Cabarete's jail cell then anywhere i've eaten in PP. And this is coming from someone who, unfortunately, has to travel there on a weekly basis whenever i'm in the DR because my motorcycle buddies live there out of obligation...not choice, and they insist on launching most of our motorcycle adventurers across the island from their place up on a hill because they claim we drive faster and get better gas mileage if we launch from a hill.

In Puerto Plata, the restaurants are very limited, the cafe/beach seen is non-existent, the Malecon is a glorified Bronx project put on hold, the beaches are filled with crabs, sankies, and CD-selling scammers, and the women...all ugly...every last one of them except for one big-milky-groobies girl: DV8. Unfortunately, she's taken, but she does possess all of her teeth.

driving down the Malecon (Ocean Drive) is a lot like being transported back to 1973 Bronx after a storm, or a Starsky & Hutch scene without Huggy Bear. The condos--if you want to call them that--are depressing, atrocious, and resembles a glorified Havana Bordello, only with less paint and no good looking women.

I just can't rap my head around why anyone--presumably not in a medically-induced coma, on life support, suffering from glaucoma, and semi-conscious--would choose Puerto Plata over say...Las Terrenas, Cabrera, Cabarete, etc.

Frank

Last edited:

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
We ate at a really good Swis restaurant in PoP once, as fine a meal as we've had in the DR. We also like the Provocon chicken place (with wasakaka sauce :cheeky:) near the Free Zone.

Many years ago the old wooden Brugal factory was cool. The teleferico is a fun experience, especially if you survive and it doesn't crash from poor maintenance.

But besides those few exceptions, we find PoP just...creepy, a weird negative karma permeates...and we just HATE driving through it...Amazing dog!

Crusing for potential customers to your restaurant Frank? heehee

No seriously- I hope someone understand the meaning in your post. It itched in my fingers to write something like this earlier, but i didnt want to offend anyone.

Have summer arrived at your penthouse apt yet Frank?

EDIT:

I forgot to say PP remains me of the scenery in a very very lowbudget Zombie movie. The creepy depressing hopeless feeling is very much present.

Last edited:

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
here's one reason-non-working women. it "feels" like a normal town even though it looks like the Bronx. i think i saw Pam Grier on my last trip to the Malecon :laugh:

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Do not forget about the new port!
Its coming soon and will transform the entire town into an exciting, vibrant, star spangled, short term tourist
stop.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
POP is nothing but a campo con luz and right now, more often than not, a campo sin luz. i hate this place. however, if i had to live in anything smaller, like sosua or cabarete, i'd be already out on a killing spree with every full moon.

nothing annoys me more that all the waste going on in POP. and i know the unemployment rate is high, i know there is no money. that sucks. but the city itself, the old part, is really pretty. there are plenty of old beautiful buildings. lots of them in complete ruins. it's such a waste. i know the city cannot afford it now and there is no market for that but i would love to see the city center renovated, with small cafes and restaurants. but there are no tourists and puertoplatenans are a stingy bunch...

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
Costambar beach was depressing. I've seen stray dogs in many places but dang!! The one beach shack we stopped for dinks was just, just ugghh. Saw some condos for rent and the owner wanted $700.00 a month. I had to laugh.

If I could come up with a term, I would cal it Ghetto Caribbean. Keeping with the 70's theme it looked like a project dropped in the tropics. Broken down cars, flooded roads, buildings is dire need of maintenance.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
actually costambar is not half bad. granted, never ever go to the beach on a weekend. week days are ok. i avoid those dirty beach shacks myself, there are better places in costambar to grab a beer or a bite to eat. and i think there is less homeless dogs here than in other parts of town. most of beach dogs have some sort of owners and amigos de 4 patas take care of them (snipping, vaccinations and so on).

what is pathetic in POP itself. dirty, noisy, nasty. every day i live in hope miesposo will get transferred to the main office in SD.

May 29, 2006
On my last trip to POP, I couldn't get a guagua on the way back and had to take a publico with two chicas heading to Sosua for the weekend. One was in front and one was next to me and they spent the whole trip yammering to each other over the radio blasting Merengue. My ears hurt for about an hour afterwards.

When you spend anytime walking around POP, you get covered in the residue from all of the motoconchos and diesel trucks and you get a film of grime on you so bad you can see it wash off when you get in the shower.

POP is the Mos Eisley of the DR:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRd_vZT6zPY

BostonMary

May 18, 2002
RG84 the condos in Costambar are rented for the winter. There are some very nice places. When I rented mine I got 1,400 US per month and there are some still renting for that

BostonMary

May 18, 2002
RG84 the condos in Costambar are rented for the winter. There are some very nice places. When I rented mine I got 1,400 US per month and there are some still renting for that. There is a waiting list to rent or buy in some developments. So check your facts

fifilein

Mar 24, 2011
choose Puerto Plata over say...Las Terrenas, Cabrera, Cabarete, etc.

while i agree to all you say, there is a big difference between living in puerto plata and the other ones.

all others are tourist "villages". beside the fact that they are so small you can touch both ends of if with your hands, you also get treated like a tourist, or at least everyone who greets you has the dollar sign in his eyes.

in my experience thats not the case here in puerto plata.

in all the other cities i always had the feeling that all locals are only there to serve the tourits/gringos, and i hated that feeling, maybe my feeling was wrong, but it still felt the way.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
I've been reading recently of people thinking about moving to the DR and choosing Puerto Plata as their destination.

I can't for the life of me, think of one single reason why someone--who presumably consumes oxygen and is from this planet--would choose Puerto Plata over any place on the north coast--including the jail cells in Sosua or Cabarete.

Of all of the crappy towns to live in on the North Coast, Puerto Plata must rank up their as the most pollution filled, venereal disease-over-flowing (i caught crabs there, twice...from walking down the street), shanty-town crusted, rain deluged, crappy filled restaurants place to live anywhere on the North Coast. The food is better in Cabarete's jail cell then anywhere i've eaten in PP. And this is coming from someone who, unfortunately, has to travel there on a weekly basis whenever i'm in the DR because my motorcycle buddies live there out of obligation...not choice, and they insist on launching most of our motorcycle adventurers across the island from their place up on a hill because they claim we drive faster and get better gas mileage if we launch from a hill.

In Puerto Plata, the restaurants are very limited, the cafe/beach seen is non-existent, the Malecon is a glorified Bronx project put on hold, the beaches are filled with crabs, sankies, and CD-selling scammers, and the women...all ugly...every last one of them except for one big-milky-groobies girl: DV8. Unfortunately, she's taken, but she does possess all of her teeth.

driving down the Malecon (Ocean Drive) is a lot like being transported back to 1973 Bronx after a storm, or a Starsky & Hutch scene without Huggy Bear. The condos--if you want to call them that--are depressing, atrocious, and resembles a glorified Havana Bordello, only with less paint and no good looking women.

I just can't rap my head around why anyone--presumably not in a medically-induced coma, on life support, suffering from glaucoma, and semi-conscious--would choose Puerto Plata over say...Las Terrenas, Cabrera, Cabarete, etc.

Frank
I have to admit, you do have a way with words. :) :)

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
We ate at a really good Swis restaurant in PoP once, as fine a meal as we've had in the DR. We also like the Provocon chicken place (with wasakaka sauce :cheeky:) near the Free Zone.

Many years ago the old wooden Brugal factory was cool. The teleferico is a fun experience, especially if you survive and it doesn't crash from poor maintenance.

But besides those few exceptions, we find PoP just...creepy, a weird negative karma permeates...and we just HATE driving through it...Amazing dog!

that Swiss restaurant was the best eatery POP has ever had. sadly, it is long defunct, having been converted into apartments. and, yes, POP is behind God's back.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
POP, or should i say POOP is a crappy place. i'd much rather live in SD or santiago. but anything smaller and something in me would break. anything where all people greet me with "my fren" because i look like a tourist and something in me would snap. in those terms POP is not that bad. it's a thin, thin line that keeps me within sanity limits. broadly speaking.