Internet provider

Nov 26, 2012
We're moving to the DR this month, any advice on internet providers? I tried navigating the Claro website but got a bit confused. Is the internet not unlimited? Do they use DSL or cable modems?
We have Comcast here in the states and would like to have around the same set up (modem and wireless router)with hopefully the same speed.
Any help?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
First of all where will you be living?

Claro uses DSL modems.

Cable TV providers use cable modems.

Wired plans I am familiar with are unlimited in data, but quite limited in speed compared to developed countries.

tcast305

Jul 17, 2009
We're moving to the DR this month, any advice on internet providers? I tried navigating the Claro website but got a bit confused. Is the internet not unlimited? Do they use DSL or cable modems?
We have Comcast here in the states and would like to have around the same set up (modem and wireless router)with hopefully the same speed.
Any help?

Sportsoutreachcaribbean,

All depends where you are going to be located at.

From I know in Santo Domingo:

Claro does DSL and fiber optic, Tricom does ADSL and cable modem, WIND does WIMAX (I believe). Claro/Tricom/WIND are unlimited

If you are used to Comcast, there you are going to be a bit of a shock here. Comcast offers 50Mbit download and 10Mbit upload for 60 dollars a month, a plan here from Tricom for 50mbit download and 5mbit upload is currently 18,995 pesos without taxes (add another 30%).

Claro fiber optic plan is somewhat of a decent deal for 7,483 pesos with tax a month. It includes 20mbit download and 2mbit upload, home telephone unlimited local and 700 international, and cable tv, 100 mins on 2 claro cells.. http://contenido.claro.com.do/wps/portal/do/pc/personas/internet/internet_fibra_optica

Once you know were you are going to be located you can check to see what is available from the providers.

There other options (plans) that are "unlimited" but throttled after x amount of bandwidth used, but those are thru cell towers 3G-4G data internet, available from Claro, Tricom, Orange, VIVA, etc.

Hope this info helps.

Thanks.

Last edited: