Cellular Provider Orange Looking To Leave DR Market

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
A surprise. Article seems to indicate sale would be for financial reasons.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
I can only say this is good news. Orange Dominicana is a disaster, sustained only by massive advertising, but with terrible quality. On top of that, they have this attitude that people should consider them royalty.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I've never had a problem with Orange service, and in some instances it's superior to Alida's Claro service.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
I've never had a problem with Orange service, and in some instances it's superior to Alida's Claro service.

It depends on where you live. Orange stretched out their signal too far. Many places even within Santo Domingo have poor to no signal. People living around Orange main building cannot use any other network as Orange maxed out their signal power to reach farther, so it creates interference with other signals. It's a disaster waiting to happen, not only technically but also in terms of health.
Also, Orange works with very old equipment. I guess when potential buyers see what they have they will run like hell.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I can only say this is good news. Orange Dominicana is a disaster, sustained only by massive advertising, but with terrible quality. On top of that, they have this attitude that people should consider them royalty.

Good news for you, maybe. I am very happy with Orange and with the service I get from the employees of the
Sosua Orange store.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
This could be horrible for competition.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
This could be horrible for competition.

Agreed. The last thing we need is Claro being pretty much the only player in town. Anywhere Carlos Slim's companies have a monopoly they jack up the prices and offer horrible service (just look at Mexico). In addition in places like Cotui Orange's service and coverage is way better than Claro.

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
Agreed. The last thing we need is Claro being pretty much the only player in town. Anywhere Carlos Slim's companies have a monopoly they jack up the prices and offer horrible service (just look at Mexico). In addition in places like Cotui Orange's service and coverage is way better than Claro.

Welcome to the third world, where businesses gain contracts by cronyism and nepotism rather than by talent and service. The result is companies just like Claro. The company indeed sucks and wouldn't last five minutes in a market where they faced serious competition. The internet here is the worst part of living in the DR, hands down. I have problems with my Claro connection every single day. The one thing I miss having is good old American internet service, where you could play an online game with your clan without worrying about being disconnected every five minutes. Claro sucks and Carlos Slim is a fat fck who is testament to the truth that screwing people, offering crap service and being well connected will help you become very rich. ;)

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
Orange needs the money to expand into more corrupt countries in Africa and Asia. They have a bid in Myanmar for 1 of 2 licences and they are dumping money in Africa for upgrades. I think they are smart to get out of the DR and go after growth markets. I might be a fool but i picked up 2500 shares in May hoping for the EU to pick up in 2014. If not i retire a bit broker.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012

Orange's network is not going to disappear, guys. It's going to be operated by whoever ends up buying that anachronic bunch of equipment called Orange. Claro is out of the question, as the anti-monopoly laws forbid it because Claro has more than 50% of the market. I think Tricom is probably going to end up buying Orange's operation. Tricom is playing tight with the chinese, who are really looking into getting into these markets. Tricom's 4G LTE network from Huawei, highly subsidized by the chinese, seems to be a hint.

Feb 7, 2007
Tricom nor Viva has that kind of money, and even if financed, it would still be very difficult for them. Just this year Orange is investing over 100 million USD. I think the whole Tricom is worth about 250 million USD. Cannot imagina that company bidding for a 1.2 billion operation. This ain't the US where you can easily line up billions upon billions of dollars for management buyouts or turning public company into a private one, something like Michael Dell is contemplating with Dell. Also a mom and pop store getting to own Orange would be a disaster, just look at VivaN they were bought by a prepaid phonecard operator from US with the help of some venture capital. That company is a disaster, with some of the worst mobile services in the country.