Where to find used books

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
I am looking for any bookstore where I can buy, exchange or trade any English/French books (novels).

I know 2 places in Puerto Plata (The Meeting Place and a small bookstore in front of Caribe Tours) but I need more books. I read 1 book per day.

So if anyone has books to give or sell, or know a place on the North Coast, please let me know.

Thank you.

drescape24

Bronze
Nov 2, 2011
There is a used book store in Sosua behind the Checkpoint bar. Its the same plaza that the Friends of animal of Sosua has their store. They have a lot of books and good prices. Hope this helps

les1

Feb 1, 2007
There is a used book store in Sosua behind the Checkpoint bar. Its the same plaza that the Friends of animal of Sosua has their store. They have a lot of books and good prices. Hope this helps
If in Rio San Juan try Hotel Bahia Blanca on the town beach. They have numerous boxes of books left by guests. Maybe swop or buy, I get them for free cause I know them.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
The next time someone from POP comes down to the Capital they should stop by the Helen Kellog Libray in Santo Domingo and stock up .. there are really a huge number of paper backs.. of real literary value, not just beach reads but those as well.. for sale at 20 pesos each. https://www.facebook.com/KelloggLibrary

one of my reasons for living within walking distance. I still like to flip pages. Kindle does not always cut it for me.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
costambar has a library: english, german, french. nothing from upper shelves but normal reads. main street, next door to the pharmacy.

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
HAHA...i got a new book coming out in a couple of days. it will be available on Kindles, Apple Ipads, Nooks, etc. Personally, i think its the funniest book you'll ever read. Only 100 pages. But, of course, i am biased.

But look, that's not what i really wanted to tell you. I have boxes of books at my place in Cabarete. If you can wait until August 20th, there will be someone there to loan you as many books as your heart desires...James Michener? check! Hunter S. Thompson? Check? Jared Diamond? Check! Mark Kurlansky? Check. William Burroghs? Check! Walter Mosley? Check! Nick Hornby? Check! Hemingway? Check! Martin Amis? Check! Hitchens? Check! Sam Harris? Check! Thomas Sowell? Check! Check! probably the most diverse book collection you've ever seen.

I only have two boxes of books left. Ever since i've gotten an Amazon Kindle, i've made it my mission to give away all of my books. Too much weight, too much space, too much oxygen, and too much mold.

PM me around August 20th and remind me. First come, first serve.

Frank

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
.....................James Michener? check! Hunter S. Thompson? Check? Jared Diamond? Check! Mark Kurlansky? Check. William Burroghs? Check! Walter Mosley? Check! Nick Hornby? Check! Hemingway? Check! Martin Amis? Check! Hitchens? Check! Sam Harris? Check! Thomas Sowell? Check! Check! probably the most diverse book collection you've ever seen.

Frank

What...no Carl Hiaasen?

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
What...no Carl Hiaasen?

I've been reading about Hiaasen for a long, long time, but have not got around to reading anything by him. Shame. What would you recommend by him?

Hoot? Flush? Scat? Skinny Dip? Sick Puppy?

Thanks, Frank

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I have hundreds of books here at the house. Tons of them probably. I, too, enjoy turning pages..

Send me a PM if you want to come to Santiago...my pleasure..

HB

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
Response to Frank 12

The first time I came across a book by Carl Hiassen ( I'm pretty sure it was Tourist Season), I fell prey to the oft repeated expression...."Never judge a book by its cover".
Very bright colours and flashy graphics.....Just the thing I was looking for at that moment for some light reading.
Then when I got around to actually reading what the book was all about I was impressed by the fact that he was from Florida. Don't ask me why....(lol).
Anyways, It was quite the experience to say the least and not at all what I had been expecting.
No question he has a certain "Je ne sais quoi", enough to bring me back for more.
I have since read Double Whammy and Stormy Weather.

Actually Frank,
Some of the things you write have reminded me of him and that is why I mentionned his name in this context.
I think it might be the somewhat kooky approach to humour.
Sort of like when you really want to sit down and have a beer with the author when he makes you laugh.
And then sometimes he makes you squirm and feel a little uncomforable...
If we were in closer proximity, I would happily pass on the books but I'm sure you will have no trouble finding them where you are.
Btw.......I once worked on a Norwegian cargo ship the "Thorshope" and ever since that day I have a soft spot in my heart for all things Norwegian...

Last edited:

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
I have about 30 English language books, here in Cabarete. You can have them free if they're for your personal use or for a small fee if it's business. PM me to arrange if you're passing.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
that was me. and dang, i expected you to at least PM me asking if you can have a coffee with my cats, because i know you be the fellow crazy cat lady ;) :)
i am glad you are enjoying costambar library. have fun reading :)

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
Next time promise... would be around end of next week... good for you ? and it willl be tea please:bunny: