trying to decide whether to take a job offer

Raleigh Phillips

Jul 16, 2013
I was offered a teaching job for this school year but the kicker is I would have to move in about 3 weeks. I was wanting some feedback from people who made the transition to see if this was even realistic to move this quickly. And I wanted to get an idea of what salary is necessary to live comfortably there without having to bring much savings with me

1500us, is what you should have as an monthly number

You can survive on 1000 witohut problem, but then you start to loose some spending money.

Other probably will come along and tell you it is possible to live on 500us each month.. I would not like to live like that.

JohnnyBoy

Bronze
Jun 17, 2012
where is the position? Are they finding you housing? Do you need a vehicle? Lots of questions there .

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
wow. it depends on your life style, if you have savings. what is the school offering? do you like to party?
the uni pays new teachers about 725 US dollars a semester, and then they pay about 440 US dollars for room/board (homestay style). most are comfortable with their situations. it is, after all, more about the experience than living large.

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
To live comfortably here you would need around 1500USD a month.

Comfort is relative; so some people need more some less.

If you plan on cooking yourself and eating the local cuisine (beans, rice, chicken) you can survive on a whole lot less. But for one person eating out everyday and not living like a local, 1300-1500USD will do it. If you dont mind "roughin it" a little and not eating all the things youre used to back home, and not using a/c, you can get by with much less than 1000USD.

As for the time constraints, well you would have to get over here as soon as possible. You dont want to have to start a new job before at least getting a little settled in.

Raleigh Phillips

Jul 16, 2013
I'm leaning more towards turning it down and spending the year saving and hoping I can have this opportunity again next year. hard decision though

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
We moved there to teach and ended up staying for nine years. It is really hard to say what salary you will need because you have not listed the benefits that come with the job. Are they going to provide housing/utilities/insurance/air fare home once a year etc. Obviously the better the benefits the easier it is to settle in and the less salary for start up costs.

boknows

Oct 15, 2012
Just Do It!!! How much can... I mean will you really save. Take the job enjoy the island. I turned one down years ago and all I did was gain more responsibilities that limit my choices today.

Raleigh Phillips

Jul 16, 2013
it includes housing, insurance and transportation to and from work, It also includes airfare there and at the end of the contract but no airfare home each year. I worried to get there with not enough savings and worried about eventually returning home to very little savings but I'm almost more terrified to turn it down and not get the opportunity again. where were you teaching?

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
We taught at the Carol Morgan School. I am assuming that your contract is for two years based on your statements about air flight tickets. If you are young and single with no children why not enjoy a few years abroad?

What school has offered you a contract?

mxcutie

Jan 12, 2010
I have taught in Punta Cana. What school gave you the offer? You can PM me if you want any info.