If not Puerto Plata; where?

Diametric

Mar 20, 2012
Hi,

So my post about moving to POP has made me aware that serveral folks have very strong opinions about Puerto Plata. Can I ask those of you to tell me where you would/do live where you do and why? I ask because as of now, I'll be in the POP area but I'd like to hear others weigh in on why POP sucks and why where they're at is the shiz. I hope to get a better idea of some other areas before I get where I'm going. At this point, I'm deff staying in POP for the first week...but after that I'm open to different opportunities.

Thank you!

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Why not travel around and form opinions for yourself.

Diametric

Mar 20, 2012
Agreed. And I will. However I would still like to hear others opinions especially given how many were about how POP was a s-hole.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Agreed. And I will. However I would still like to hear others opinions especially given how many were about how POP was a s-hole.
PoP IS a spithole with few redeeming qualities.

It's one of the creepiest, low rent areas of the entire island.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
santiago or SD are by far the best cities in DR. i sent you a PM so you know exactly what i mean when i say that POP is better than the rest of the NC unless you like mucus excavation and you enjoy how your brain slowly trickles out of your ears and down your neck from boredom. but heck, some people like just that: peace and quiet. i suppose they did not have much brains to begin with ;)

bizzyboneizo

Aug 31, 2010
pop to me has two beaches in the area you can run back and forth to with some nice bars in sosua and the good old pizza hut in that inclusive area not sure if you like pizza but i feel more relaxed were theres not that many people and cars. when me and my girlfriend took a ride in santo domingo i had a heart attack i hate the bronx and it looked like it

What are you wanting form the DR? Beach, Big City? Peace and quiet? Clubs? Classy Women with some smarts or not so much?
I personally came here for the beach, lots of animals and relaxation.

SD is crazy ass but it has grown on me with my few recent trips mainly b/c it has restaurants and stores I like.

I love where I live in Las Canas, Gaspar Hernandez as it is 5 min to GH, 10 to Sabaneta, 15 to Cabarete, 25 to Sosua and under an hour to POP although I hardly go there. I usually go to Santiago once every 2 weeks to shop at PriceSmart and that expensive store that starts with a B that I can't remember at the moment, which is 1.5 hours away and SD is 3 hours away.
I like the small town feel where i am where people remember us, but we are hard to forget being very white and tatted head to toe.

I have my peace and quiet yet i am close enough to go to nice restaurants and hang with some expats but mostly hang with locals.

I also found Nagua, Las Terrenas and Samana to be nice. All depends on what you like.
In the Future I can see myself moving to Cabarete or Santo Domingo (Quite different places obviously)

POP would probably be one of my last choices other than Punta Cana but that doesn't mean it isn't great choices for others.

I also don't get Santiago but that is b/c there is no beach. I would never have moved from Vancouver to Santiago!

I can also tell you there is no boredom where I live! Something interesting is ALWAYS happening! I thought i would be bored not working living a little out of the way but if you get involved in the community weird fun stuff happens! I don't live in a gated community so that could add to strange things going on!!!

Good luck on wherever you choose and remember you can always move if you are renting and don't like the place :)

Diametric

Mar 20, 2012
Also if you want to be shown around my wife and I would be happy to do that as others did that for us and I want to make sure we help other newbies b.c we really were helped a lot!

I very much appreciate that. Once I get there and get settled, I'll post and see if folks are available. Thanks you for your offer.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Bizzy", I'll just bet "Pizza hut" closed because they didn't sell enough PIZZA!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
I like POP.
Great beaches.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
you people all talk about pop like it's the only place with open sewers that flow to the ocean , take a look in your own back yards before you start talking shyte.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I'm biased.

Jarabacoa is the best place to live on the island.

Quiet, clean, little crime, good access, decent services, relatively inexpensive, 50,000 people, a broad middle class, nobody really cares about foreigners and fantastic weather...

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I'm biased.

Jarabacoa is the best place to live on the island.

Quiet, clean, little crime, good access, decent services, relatively inexpensive, 50,000 people, a broad middle class, nobody really cares about foreigners and fantastic weather...

you will get no argument from me on that one. you forgot the weather, though.

my bad; i see you mentioned it. that is the number one asset..

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
obviously you wouldnt live in the center of puerto plata, but there are some nicer areas just out side- montellano isnt a bad little town- a bit prone to flooding in certain areas

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
obviously you wouldnt live in the center of puerto plata, but there are some nicer areas just out side- montellano isnt a bad little town- a bit prone to flooding in certain areas

Montellano? i will stay in POP, thank you very kindly..

about 5 years ago Montellano had some drug problems as you probably know, but after policie cleaned the streets, the place is way better. I just talked about Montellano with my family since we almost bought some property over there some time back.

But if you want to see how Montellano really are, check where you want to live there AFTER heavy rain, because alot of the place is often flooded.