Residencia Permante renewal: my first step (SD)

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
So the day I didn't want to arrive is here: time for me to renew my Permanent Residence. As a 12-year resident, I still think all this new process is just stupid, but WTH...

So, I arrived at Migracion at about 8am, they told me I needed two copies each of my passport, cedula and Residencia in order for me to be "approved" to pay for the medical exams :rolleyes:

Got the copies (had to wait a few minutes for the "muchacho de las copias" to get to work, 50 pesos). I introduced my papers in "ventanilla 3", they took my current residence id and told me to sit tight. After some 20 minutes I was called to the same "ventanilla" and they asked for the RD$ 4,500 and told me to go to Clinica Gomez Pati?o for the medical exams. So they don't do those anymore at Migracion. Oh, well.

Off I went to Clinica Gomez Pati?o, they drew my blood, took a sample of my urine (with door open, "es supervisado", and then sent me to the Emergency area to get the X-Rays. Here I was thinking I was safe from the old piece of crap they used at Migracion to get the X-Rays. But I was wrong, as the one in Clinica Gomez Pati?o seems to be of the same fabrication batch. They X-Rayed me with this Enigma machine and sent me on my way. 10 working days to go back to migracion with my receipt.

All in all, it was a pretty straightforward procedure, it took me about 2 hours including the commuting to the Clinica. By 10 am I was done with it. I just hope they don't come back to me with some monkey business next time. I was amused by the huge business this young lady doctor (Ivonne Whatshername) at Clinica Gomez Pati?o must be doing, since she's the only one officially approved to do the exams. Good for her.

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
Thanks for the post, happy to hear that it's relatively painless.

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Yes but have you now got your permanent residency and what aboutyour cedular ,,,and what about your good behaviour report from the police...seems that you still have a bit to go

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
I have posted this previously from another Dr1er who went through the process and described it .... Maybe OP( castle) can review it and see if it BASICALLY matches up with their experience ..............You are able to do it yourself with a little patience and discipline . Here is one recent sample experience NOT MY EXPERIENCE ( someone else on this site ) .....ok, we arrived here in june 2006 so i will have been living in the dr for 7 years next month. Those people who know me well will appreciate that things didn't quite work out as they were first planned but i remain here lonely but happy in this amazing country.

If i can do it without a lawyer, anyone can?..

When i realised that my cedula expired on 20/04/2013 instead of in december on my birthday (as previously) i thought as residency also expired on 19/04/2013 i better get my act together and renew both but 1) i couldn?t afford the lawyer prices i saw quoted and 2) i was determined to do it myself. The reason they didn?t expire on the same date is explained in the thread of my nightmare renewal of 2 years ago.

So, i got on the metro bus and went to the capital on wednesday, 24/04/2013, i am fortunate that my boss has a fab hotel in zona colonial in sd so was able to take a little break and appreciate the ?real? santo domingo. I arrived at immigration at 8.30 am on thursday, 25/04/2013 with copies my passport, expiring residency card and cedula which i took to the payment place for new medical exam. After those were checked, i was called within 10 minutes and asked to pay my rd$ 4500 for the medical exam. Whilst waiting i went to window 10, purchased the residency renewal form for rd$ 100 and got fingerprints done. I also checked at this point what documents were required under the new rules to renew my permanent residency and they only seemed interested in the bank reference letter i had from banco popular stating that my account was in good order.

The total medical exam now is done at clinica gomez including the blood and urine + chest x-ray. Everything that day was finished and done and i was back in zona colonial by 10.40 am.

I was given a telephone number to call to check when the medical results were available which i was told would be after 10 working days so phoned on thursday, 09/05/2013 and was told they were there, ready and waiting.

In the meantime, i took a quick trip to puerto plata to get my good conduct certificate ? called into ban reservas in sosua, paid the required rd$ 330 and took that receipt to the big justice building at 10 am on 07/05/2013 and was told to come back at 11.30 am when it was all ready and waiting for me. It is wise not to get this certificate too early as it is only valid for 30 days.

I returned to the capital on wednesday, 15/05/2013, back to immigration at 8.30 am on thursday, 16/05/2013. First thing to do is go to the front desk in the reception area and swap cedula for a pass to go through the main doors where the medical exam receipt is handed in to get the results. A short wait of less than 10 minutes and receipt is returned and stamped to say okay. Now it is time to present documents at window 10 ? mine consisted of completed application form which already had fingerprints done from first trip, original of bank reference letter, original of certificate of good conduct and i threw in a copy of the title deed of my property for good measure ? i had read that i needed 4 copies so had photocopied a further 3 copies of all the documents + added 2 photos (passport type) as required. At this point it was about 9 am.
I was told that my docs would be checked which would take about 40 minutes. It is wise to then go to stand in the queue where you pay (on the left of the doors which you earlier go through to get approval of medical exam) ? it is clearly marked. I was now at the front of the queue to pay and my documents were approved so i paid my rd$ 8000 for 4 years renewal and opted to pay the extra rd$ 1000 for vip to get new card the same day. I was then given a number and told i would be called for photo which was about 20 minutes later. The new residency card is collectable from window 9 and it is wise to just hover and keep asking until it appears but doesn?t take long.
So, armed with new residency card, i go to renew cedula at the junta ??.. As described by dv8 in her thread?
i needed my brand new residency card, passport (not copy) and expired cedula. In the office they check on the computer system and tell you what you need to pay (rd$ 4000 for 4 years in my instance) and issue a little ticket which you take to the pay desk. Armed with receipt for payment you are ushered into the photo room. It is necessary to remove all jewellery and have arms covered. I actually waited about 10/ 15 minutes as there were a number of people in front of me and during this time my passport was taken to be copied.

I was then called to a cubicle where the photographer checks details of d.o.b., address etc and i was required to sign the paper agreeing this, then photo, electronic fingerprints and signature done and about 2 minutes later the machine spits out a brand new 4 year cedula.
These were my exact costs:
Medical exam rd$ 4500
application form rd$ 100
good conduct cert rd$ 330
residency renewal (4 years) rd$ 8000
vip for same day rd$ 1000
cedula renewal (4 years) rd$ 4000

factor in the cost for me of driving to pop for good conduct certificate + return trips to the capital on metro from sosua to sd (rd$ 1520) and all achieved for +/- rd$ 20k = $ 500 (us) or ?333 (gbp).

Even if you opt to use a lawyer, it is still necessary to do the 2 trips to the capital so i reckon i did it all for less than half it would have cost if gone with a legal person which, in my opinion, is totally unnecessary anyway.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Ok, as promised, I post the end of my permanent residence renewal process.
Today I went back to Migraci?n to get the medical results. This is done on an unnumbered ventanilla (between ventanillas 4 and 5). They give you a little ticket with a stamp on it. Then you have to get the "formulario" on ventanilla 3 or 4 (I could've done this the first time I went to Migraci?n, but forgot about it). You fill out the formulario and go to ventanilla 10 where they stamp your finger prints on the formulario. They ask you for the rest of the documents: Copy of your cedula, Residencia, Passport (first page), "Carta de no antecedentes" and "prueba de solvencia". This last two must be original. After they gather all this they give it all back to you to get 4 sets of copies. You could bring your own copies from home, but since you still need to get the copies of the "formulario" with your finger prints already on it, you might as well get all the copies then and there.
You have to assemble the 4 sets of copies in the same order they gave you back the first set, and take everything back to ventanilla 10. They receive all the documents and tell you to wait 30 to 45 minutes to go back to ventanilla 3 or 4 (they won't call you or anything). After about 45 minutes I went to ventanilla 3 or 4 (there's only one line for both) and paid 8,000 pesos plus 1,000 for VIP (to get it done the same day). I was given a numbered ticket and told to sit tight until my number was called. They called my number some 15 minutes later and took me inside to have my picture taken. I was told to go back to the waiting ?rea for 20 more minutes and they would call me by name to ventanilla 9. They did, and I finally got the residence card and signed the book on ventanilla 9. Done, at last!.

Some info I gather for friends but that might be useful to others:

- You can start your renewal process up to 45 days before the current card expires. If you wait until it expires they wil charge 400 pesos for "estadia"
- Those who are resident from 1996 and before, don't have to go through this new process, they can follow the old procedure (lucky bastards)

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Ok, as promised, I post the end of my permanent residence renewal process.
Today I went back to Migraci?n to get the medical results. This is done on an unnumbered ventanilla (between ventanillas 4 and 5). They give you a little ticket with a stamp on it. Then you have to get the "formulario" on ventanilla 3 or 4 (I could've done this the first time I went to Migraci?n, but forgot about it). You fill out the formulario and go to ventanilla 10 where they stamp your finger prints on the formulario. They ask you for the rest of the documents: Copy of your cedula, Residencia, Passport (first page), "Carta de no antecedentes" and "prueba de solvencia". This last two must be original. After they gather all this they give it all back to you to get 4 sets of copies. You could bring your own copies from home, but since you still need to get the copies of the "formulario" with your finger prints already on it, you might as well get all the copies then and there.
You have to assemble the 4 sets of copies in the same order they gave you back the first set, and take everything back to ventanilla 10. They receive all the documents and tell you to wait 30 to 45 minutes to go back to ventanilla 3 or 4 (they won't call you or anything). After about 45 minutes I went to ventanilla 3 or 4 (there's only one line for both) and paid 8,000 pesos plus 1,000 for VIP (to get it done the same day). I was given a numbered ticket and told to sit tight until my number was called. They called my number some 15 minutes later and took me inside to have my picture taken. I was told to go back to the waiting ?rea for 20 more minutes and they would call me by name to ventanilla 9. They did, and I finally got the residence card and signed the book on ventanilla 9. Done, at last!.

Some info I gather for friends but that might be useful to others:

- You can start your renewal process up to 45 days before the current card expires. If you wait until it expires they wil charge 400 pesos for "estadia"
- Those who are resident from 1996 and before, don't have to go through this new process, they can follow the old procedure (lucky bastards)

Thanks for all the Information Castle, As you stated for those with residency prior to 1996(I'm one of the lucky Bastards), you buy the formularo 100rd window 4, turn it in at window 10 they take the finger prints, back to window 1 with your copy of passport, cedula, residency. window 3 pay your 8000rd for 4year residency, 1000rd for VIP get your number for the picture, take the picture wait for a while and the when they call your name at window 9 pick up the new residency card

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Thanks for the explanation. Hopefully it will be the same when I must renew my residency in 2014.

Is there anything you must do to show that you are pre-1996 at window 4 or not until window 10 or window 1?

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Thanks for the explanation. Hopefully it will be the same when I must renew my residency in 2014.

Is there anything you must do to show that you are pre-1996 at window 4 or not until window 10 or window 1?

I had to show nothing, think they verified at window 1

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
So, for those wondering about costs and "do-ability"

1) For those who are residents from 1996 or before

a) Renewal = RD$ 8,000
b) Formulario = RD$ 100
Total = RD$ 8,100

Estimated time: 1-2 hours.

2) For those residents after 1996

a) Renewal RD$ 8,000
b) Medical RD$ 4,500
c) Procuradur?a aprox RD$ 300
d) Formulario RD$ 100
e) Copies aprox RD$ 100
Total = aprox RD$ 13,000

Estimated times:
a) Medical = 1 hour
b) Renewal = 1-2 hours

In both cases things are pretty straighforward (well, dominican style, you know). If you are able to ask simple questions in spanish and hold your temper in some typically dominican absurd type of situations, you can easily do this yourself. There was the usual bunch of "lawyers" there helping gringos, whose only job was to take the documents to the ventanilla and tell the gringo to wait until they call their name. I was pretty jealous just to think they were charging at least US$ 2,000 for this 2-hour job, but hey, it's a tough world to make a living.

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
So the day I didn't want to arrive is here: time for me to renew my Permanent Residence. As a 12-year resident, I still think all this new process is just stupid, but WTH...

So, I arrived at Migracion at about 8am, they told me I needed two copies each of my passport, cedula and Residencia in order for me to be "approved" to pay for the medical exams :rolleyes:

Got the copies (had to wait a few minutes for the "muchacho de las copias" to get to work, 50 pesos). I introduced my papers in "ventanilla 3", they took my current residence id and told me to sit tight. After some 20 minutes I was called to the same "ventanilla" and they asked for the RD$ 4,500 and told me to go to Clinica Gomez Pati?o for the medical exams. So they don't do those anymore at Migracion. Oh, well.

Off I went to Clinica Gomez Pati?o, they drew my blood, took a sample of my urine (with door open, "es supervisado", and then sent me to the Emergency area to get the X-Rays. Here I was thinking I was safe from the old piece of crap they used at Migracion to get the X-Rays. But I was wrong, as the one in Clinica Gomez Pati?o seems to be of the same fabrication batch. They X-Rayed me with this Enigma machine and sent me on my way. 10 working days to go back to migracion with my receipt.

All in all, it was a pretty straightforward procedure, it took me about 2 hours including the commuting to the Clinica. By 10 am I was done with it. I just hope they don't come back to me with some monkey business next time. I was amused by the huge business this young lady doctor (Ivonne Whatshername) at Clinica Gomez Pati?o must be doing, since she's the only one officially approved to do the exams. Good for her.

Select, Copy, & Paste. Thanks Castle.