From POP to Havana

Diametric

Mar 20, 2012
How many of you folks have ventured to Cuba from DR? I think once I get settled in POP or the surrounding area, I'll make a trip (like I said in a previous post....I dig communist concrete). I know I cannot spend US dollars there, but is it as easy as going to POP airport and buying a ticket? What money did you bring? I heard they do not exchange DR pesos. Hopefully I can fly from POP and not have to go all the way down to Santo Domingo. Any info would be great.

Gracias,
-Dylan

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
How many of you folks have ventured to Cuba from DR? I think once I get settled in POP or the surrounding area, I'll make a trip (like I said in a previous post....I dig communist concrete). I know I cannot spend US dollars there, but is it as easy as going to POP airport and buying a ticket? What money did you bring? I heard they do not exchange DR pesos. Hopefully I can fly from POP and not have to go all the way down to Santo Domingo. Any info would be great.

Gracias,
-Dylan

you have to go there from the capital. no flights from POP.

Salsafan

Bronze
Aug 17, 2011
About 250 US$ one way from SD to Havana. You can use and change US$ in Cuba, but in the banks you have to pay a fee if you buy tourist-pesos, I think about 10%. And they don't accept creditcards from US-Banks. With Euro and/or cards from other banks no problem. I always take euros in cash and some cards to get tourist-pesos eather in banks or big hotels. You can even change the tourist-pesos to cuban pesos on the street.