Murder in cabrera

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kozy

Jun 1, 2002
A foreigner named Gina, from Holland, has been found dead in her house this morning. She has lived here for many years and was liked by all. Rumors are that she was stabbed to death. The police are on the scene. Gina worked in a salon in Cabrera. She did not have a lot of money nor did she hang out with tigeres. Just so very sad. The community is in shock. K

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
A foreigner named Gina, from Holland, has been found dead in her house this morning. She has lived here for many years and was liked by all. Rumors are that she was stabbed to death. The police are on the scene. Gina worked in a salon in Cabrera. She did not have a lot of money nor did she hang out with tigeres. Just so very sad. The community is in shock. K

foreigners are fast becoming an endangered species in this land...i am sure that the H word is sure to follow

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
she must have been guilty of something. like, having 50 pesos someone else wanted. life is worth less and less :(
RIP gina.

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
Gina was a dear friend of ours and a wonderful person. We are in complete shock and heartbroken. It just doesn't make sense... :( :(

Kipling333

Bronze
Jan 12, 2010
Always a murder or an assassination is horrible but I really think that Dominicans are in equal danger because in the last year , I have had three good Dominican friends shot dead so that the murders could tak etheir cell phones or simply a gold bracelet ..in fact because the Foreigners live normally in better areas with more guards , I think that the Dominicans are more at risk ,,By far the greatest risk is a person riding a pasola ,,they are an easy target for two delinquents on a fast motor bike .

sammytheman

Sep 18, 2007
This is one area where Cuba destroys DR when it comes to tourist safety. Maybe the DR governmnet can take some notes from the Castro brothers on how to eradicate crime.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
I don't agree that foreigners have always been in danger, we were valued, respected and protected not so long ago. Now even those who may have protected us in times gone by are the exact ones most likely to bring danger to us.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
This is one area where Cuba destroys DR when it comes to tourist safety. Maybe the DR governmnet can take some notes from the Castro brothers on how to eradicate crime.

any caribbean island destroys the DR in terms of foreigner safety. not just Cuba.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I don't agree that foreigners have always been in danger, we were valued, respected and protected not so long ago. Now even those who may have protected us in times gone by are the exact ones most likely to bring danger to us.

old English proverb;

trust no shadow after dark...

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
Always a murder or an assassination is horrible but I really think that Dominicans are in equal danger because in the last year , I have had three good Dominican friends shot dead so that the murders could tak etheir cell phones or simply a gold bracelet ..in fact because the Foreigners live normally in better areas with more guards , I think that the Dominicans are more at risk ,,By far the greatest risk is a person riding a pasola ,,they are an easy target for two delinquents on a fast motor bike .

As the economy becomes worse here in the DR, I fear that incidents like this will increase. I can't help but notice that a lot of the businesses in town seem slow or dead. I've seen numerous businesses shut down since I arrived. The DR is heavily dependent on tourism, and the EU is in a major economic crisis and the USA has a "unofficial" unemployment rate of 23%. That means less people are flying down here which means less money for the locals, businesses closing, etc. This means people here get desperate and those of us who are perceived as having money are targets. It is best NOT to look like you have money.

Unfortunately, if you have pale White skin, it is impossible for you not to look like you have money. If you're not brown or black you're a "rich gringo" who may be targeted as the economy here deteriorates. I've been saying for years that the world is heading into another major depression and the 2008 crisis was just the beginning. Hang in there folks, we're all in for a bumpy ride. Even my own businesses have been hit by the crisis, thank goodness I saved, invested, and managed my money well while times were good. Anyway, what happened to Gina was a horrible tragedy and I don't wish that on anyone. Being stabbed to death especially is a gruesome way to go.

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
I agree with a lot of this, but in this particular case I really don't think this was someone trying to rob Gina of money. She has lived here for many many years and it is a small town. Yes, she had white skin but everyone knew her and knew, like Cozy said, she really did not have much money or any expensive possessions. She lived in a rental apartment in the middle of town and worked a full time job. If they were looking for a rich gringo to rob, they would absolutely not have chosen her. I don't know the reasons anymore than anyone else but in my opinion, knowing Gina well and knowing how small a community Cabrera is, I don't think this was someone after her money or due to the bad DR economy at current. Although not saying that isn't the case in other situations.. just not this one.

As the economy becomes worse here in the DR, I fear that incidents like this will increase. I can't help but notice that a lot of the businesses in town seem slow or dead. I've seen numerous businesses shut down since I arrived. The DR is heavily dependent on tourism, and the EU is in a major economic crisis and the USA has a "unofficial" unemployment rate of 23%. That means less people are flying down here which means less money for the locals, businesses closing, etc. This means people here get desperate and those of us who are perceived as having money are targets. It is best NOT to look like you have money.

Unfortunately, if you have pale White skin, it is impossible for you not to look like you have money. If you're not brown or black you're a "rich gringo" who may be targeted as the economy here deteriorates. I've been saying for years that the world is heading into another major depression and the 2008 crisis was just the beginning. Hang in there folks, we're all in for a bumpy ride. Even my own businesses have been hit by the crisis, thank goodness I saved, invested, and managed my money well while times were good. Anyway, what happened to Gina was a horrible tragedy and I don't wish that on anyone. Being stabbed to death especially is a gruesome way to go.

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
I agree with a lot of this, but in this particular case I really don't think this was someone trying to rob Gina of money. She has lived here for many many years and it is a small town. Yes, she had white skin but everyone knew her and knew, like Cozy said, she really did not have much money or any expensive possessions. She lived in a rental apartment in the middle of town and worked a full time job. If they were looking for a rich gringo to rob, they would absolutely not have chosen her. I don't know the reasons anymore than anyone else but in my opinion, knowing Gina well and knowing how small a community Cabrera is, I don't think this was someone after her money or due to the bad DR economy at current. Although not saying that isn't the case in other situations.. just not this one.

It is possible that the perpetrator isn't from Cabrera. Maybe it was someone from outside the community that came there to commit crimes so they wouldn't be recognized. Still, stabbing someone to death, especially an older foreign woman, is a level of violence that I haven't heard of in this country. If he(I'm assuming it was male), wanted to rob her, why not just overpower her and take what he wanted? Why go to the trouble to stab her to death, this is a very vicious and personal way to kill someone. Either the perpetrator is a stone cold psychopath that didn't know her or it was someone she knew that she must have crossed in a bad way. If a Dominican did this it is very frightening.

All I know is, the DR seems to be becoming increasingly violent country. Violence between locals, violence against foreigners. My theory is that the economy is pushing people into desperation. Business just seems to be really slow here, when I go out nothing seems to be going on. On weekends things pick up a bit, but overall, everything seems to be slow.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
It is possible that the perpetrator isn't from Cabrera. Maybe it was someone from outside the community that came there to commit crimes so they wouldn't be recognized. Still, stabbing someone to death, especially an older foreign woman, is a level of violence that I haven't heard of in this country. If he(I'm assuming it was male), wanted to rob her, why not just overpower her and take what he wanted? Why go to the trouble to stab her to death, this is a very vicious and personal way to kill someone. Either the perpetrator is a stone cold psychopath that didn't know her or it was someone she knew that she must have crossed in a bad way. If a Dominican did this it is very frightening.

All I know is, the DR seems to be becoming increasingly violent country. Violence between locals, violence against foreigners. My theory is that the economy is pushing people into desperation. Business just seems to be really slow here, when I go out nothing seems to be going on. On weekends things pick up a bit, but overall, everything seems to be slow.

You should get your nose more out of your books and look around you and stop speculating what happened to the poor woman.

Feb 15, 2005

As I recalled the 80s in New York the crack epidemic created monsters out of just regular kids, young men and women. The exposure to cheap drugs in DR is a concern for everyone as you don't need a lot of money but the "hook" into it is fierce and a quick one.

But again this story is really about someone loosing their life, sad to hear.

Status
Not open for further replies.