Strange Encounter With Police in Sosua.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
I was walking down the street, minding my own business. I saw a police motorcycle ride by in front of me. Instead of passing me by, it suddenly slowed down and stopped, and the officer on the back hopped off and approached me. He greeted me in Spanish and asked me how I was doing. I replied that I was fine but I felt a sense of concern about the situation. I calmly walked by the police and then he hopped on the bike with the other cop and drove off.

The officer was polite but something seemed off. What made me nervous is that I just got through reading a book on the DR and it said that Sosuan cops are extremely corrupt, and known to arrest local men and women for no reason whatsoever, other than they felt like it. Then the locals had to pay a fine to get out of jail. My theory is that the cops thought I was a Dominicano. They were about to arrest me for no reason but when they greeted me and I responded they instantly realized I was a foreigner, so they left me alone. Has anyone else ran into a situation like this? I'm really wary of police in general. I didn't care for them back in the USA and actively avoided them(a wise move for Black American men). The cops here seem to be more dangerous in their own way.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
I was walking down the street, minding my own business. I saw a police motorcycle ride by in front of me. Instead of passing me by, it suddenly slowed down and stopped, and the officer on the back hopped off and approached me. He greeted me in Spanish and asked me how I was doing. I replied that I was fine but I felt a sense of concern about the situation. I calmly walked by the police and then he hopped on the bike with the other cop and drove off.

The officer was polite but something seemed off. What made me nervous is that I just got through reading a book on the DR and it said that Sosuan cops are extremely corrupt, and known to arrest local men and women for no reason whatsoever, other than they felt like it. Then the locals had to pay a fine to get out of jail. My theory is that the cops thought I was a Dominicano. They were about to arrest me for no reason but when they greeted me and I responded they instantly realized I was a foreigner, so they left me alone. Has anyone else ran into a situation like this? I'm really wary of police in general. I didn't care for them back in the USA and actively avoided them(a wise move for Black American men). The cops here seem to be more dangerous in their own way.

Odd, I have been going to the DR for 10 years now and have been living there most of the year for the past year. Never even spoken to a cop...the occasional head nod but never been approached.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
why does that matter - as he would know you are not from here whatever language you spoke

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
Odd, I have been going to the DR for 10 years now and have been living there most of the year for the past year. Never even spoken to a cop...the occasional head nod but never been approached.

That has been my experience most of the time as well, the cops here usually leave me alone. I didn't do anything to stand out, at least nothing that I was aware of. I think it was simply bad/good luck on my part. I just happened to be there when the cops rolled by and they decided to stop and check me out. I really believe they were about to cause me trouble and arrest me, my gut tells me. There was no reason for him to get off the bike unless he was planning something like that. At that moment I was thankful to be a foreigner, if I were Dominican or especially Haitian I believe I would have been taken to jail and had to pay a fine.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com

This wasn't described in the books of life you read?

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
Damn. Glad you're ok. Did you reply to them in Spanish or English?

I replied in Spanish. But because I have an American accent, I believe that was a giveaway that I wasn't a local. Thank goodness for that. The book I read on the DR indicated that some Dominicans are terrified to even come to Sosua, because the cops can just arrest them whenever and charge them money. The cops in Sosua also routinely arrest putas, that is a good business for them because they take the girls to the station and then they have to pay a fine to go free. But what is really scary is that sometimes I read Sosuan cops arrest normal Dominican girls who are not hoes and take them to jail as well. Scary huh? I guess that is how the police here raise funds.

Anyway, my advice to anyone new here, who is new to the DR or who is thinking of moving to the DR, is to try to avoid the police at all costs. Do not carry on unnecessary conversations with them in the street. Do not try to contact them if you're in trouble, because they will likely not help you and the situation may become worse. If you do find yourself dealing with Sosua cops like me, be as polite as possible and do not become angry or visibly upset. Speak respectfully and don't cause any problems. If they want to take you to the station do not resist. Go to the station and then just pay them to get out. Most likely this won't happen to foreigners, but you never know.

Last edited:

Dark_Scorpion

Bronze
Aug 13, 2012
This wasn't described in the books of life you read?

The book talked about it happening to locals. I firmly believe I was mistaken for being one, numerous Dominicans have mistaken me for being Dominican(I'm AA). Normally, I do like to blend in. Today, I'm glad I didn't. But the information I read indicates that Sosuan police are very dangerous.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
That has been my experience most of the time as well, the cops here usually leave me alone. I didn't do anything to stand out, at least nothing that I was aware of. I think it was simply bad/good luck on my part. I just happened to be there when the cops rolled by and they decided to stop and check me out. I really believe they were about to cause me trouble and arrest me, my gut tells me. There was no reason for him to get off the bike unless he was planning something like that. At that moment I was thankful to be a foreigner, if I were Dominican or especially Haitian I believe I would have been taken to jail and had to pay a fine.

Think it was good luck. I think it would be a good idea to pretend you speak very little Spanish when approached by the police.

Jun 18, 2007
I'm white and I can spot an AA from a mile in any Dominican city, the cops spot you from double the distance.
Keep reading books, it will teach you streetlife.
You must be the squarest AA around. Don't tell me, Carlton Banks?

Mariot

Oct 13, 2009
happened to me once. they also wanted to see my id. i was on my way to play basketball, and thus dressed in shorts, a t-shirt and sneakers. i guess they either mistook me for a tiguere or a dominican yo. when i explained that i was a foreigner and had left my passport at home, they told me to always carry it with me and drove off. never happened again, so i don't think you need to be worried. if you have a very dark complexion, they probably thought you might be haitian.

anyways, in most cases when dealing with officials in the dr, playing dumb and not understanding very well worked best for me.

Jun 18, 2007
happened to me once. they also wanted to see my id. i was on my way to play basketball, and thus dressed in shorts, a t-shirt and sneakers. i guess they either mistook me for a tiguere or a dominican yo. when i explained that i was a foreigner and had left my passport at home, they told me to always carry it with me and drove off. never happened again, so i don't think you need to be worried. if you have a very dark complexion, they probably thought you might be haitian.

anyways, in most cases when dealing with officials in the dr, playing dumb and not understanding very well worked best for me.

And you didn't read that in books did you? ;)

frank12

Gold
Sep 6, 2011
A little Sosua Education:

1. I get stopped by Domincan police all the time. ok, granted, i'm always on a motorcycle when i'm running the redlight in front of Playero in Sosua when they pull me over. Still, they stop me and tell me to get off my bike immediately. This is usually followed by them yanking my key out of the ignition and acting very angry.

2. Always speak English, and always play dumb. Ok, to me, it comes natural. I'm a professional stupid person. But for you and other book-reading intellectuals out there, it maybe harder. I suggest taking some classes on stupidity and idiocracy. I'm fully booked right now, so, i can't teach you. But sitting at a sidewalk cafe, a bar, or on the beach, watching gringos negotiate with beach sellers, prostitutes, and motoconchos is a good place to start.

3. As you mentioned, always act polite...this is important even while they're eyeing your redheaded girlfriend and asking her for her phone number.

4. Always shake their hands and ask them (in English), are you circumcised? This will break the ice and bring their defenses down. Follow this by whispering in their ear that your girlfriend has herpes. This makes them empathize with you and give her phone number back. They will nod their head as if they understand your dilemma, and move on.

I have more suggestions, but i have to go back to work now.

Frank

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Never happened to me in Sosua. I have only been there 1 time anyway.

In Punta Cana, I had a tourist cop follow me to the bathroom and looked over the stall. I guess he either wanted to see my
pecker or to see if I was doing drugs.

I told him if I can take a leak in peace. He left me alone.

Talk about weird!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.