Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Strange Encounter With Police in Sosua.

I was walking down the street, minding my own business. I saw a police motorcycle ride by in front of me. Instead of passing me by, it suddenly slowed down and stopped, and the officer on the back hopped off and approached me. He greeted me in Spanish and asked me how I was doing. I replied that I was fine but I felt a sense of concern about the situation. I calmly walked by the police and then he hopped on the bike with the other cop and drove off.

The officer was polite but something seemed off. What made me nervous is that I just got through reading a book on the DR and it said that Sosuan cops are extremely corrupt, and known to arrest local men and women for no reason whatsoever, other than they felt like it. Then the locals had to pay a fine to get out of jail. My theory is that the cops thought I was a Dominicano. They were about to arrest me for no reason but when they greeted me and I responded they instantly realized I was a foreigner, so they left me alone. Has anyone else ran into a situation like this? I'm really wary of police in general. I didn't care for them back in the USA and actively avoided them(a wise move for Black American men). The cops here seem to be more dangerous in their own way.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Scorpion View Post
    I was walking down the street, minding my own business. I saw a police motorcycle ride by in front of me. Instead of passing me by, it suddenly slowed down and stopped, and the officer on the back hopped off and approached me. He greeted me in Spanish and asked me how I was doing. I replied that I was fine but I felt a sense of concern about the situation. I calmly walked by the police and then he hopped on the bike with the other cop and drove off.

The officer was polite but something seemed off. What made me nervous is that I just got through reading a book on the DR and it said that Sosuan cops are extremely corrupt, and known to arrest local men and women for no reason whatsoever, other than they felt like it. Then the locals had to pay a fine to get out of jail. My theory is that the cops thought I was a Dominicano. They were about to arrest me for no reason but when they greeted me and I responded they instantly realized I was a foreigner, so they left me alone. Has anyone else ran into a situation like this? I'm really wary of police in general. I didn't care for them back in the USA and actively avoided them(a wise move for Black American men). The cops here seem to be more dangerous in their own way.
    Odd, I have been going to the DR for 10 years now and have been living there most of the year for the past year. Never even spoken to a cop...the occasional head nod but never been approached.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Damn. Glad you're ok. Did you reply to them in Spanish or English?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

why does that matter - as he would know you are not from here whatever language you spoke

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ramesses View Post
    Odd, I have been going to the DR for 10 years now and have been living there most of the year for the past year. Never even spoken to a cop...the occasional head nod but never been approached.
    That has been my experience most of the time as well, the cops here usually leave me alone. I didn't do anything to stand out, at least nothing that I was aware of. I think it was simply bad/good luck on my part. I just happened to be there when the cops rolled by and they decided to stop and check me out. I really believe they were about to cause me trouble and arrest me, my gut tells me. There was no reason for him to get off the bike unless he was planning something like that. At that moment I was thankful to be a foreigner, if I were Dominican or especially Haitian I believe I would have been taken to jail and had to pay a fine.

6. Likes ramesses liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

This wasn't described in the books of life you read?

8. Likes bronzeallspice, bilko, Seamonkey liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Diametric View Post
    Damn. Glad you're ok. Did you reply to them in Spanish or English?
    I replied in Spanish. But because I have an American accent, I believe that was a giveaway that I wasn't a local. Thank goodness for that. The book I read on the DR indicated that some Dominicans are terrified to even come to Sosua, because the cops can just arrest them whenever and charge them money. The cops in Sosua also routinely arrest putas, that is a good business for them because they take the girls to the station and then they have to pay a fine to go free. But what is really scary is that sometimes I read Sosuan cops arrest normal Dominican girls who are not hoes and take them to jail as well. Scary huh? I guess that is how the police here raise funds.

Anyway, my advice to anyone new here, who is new to the DR or who is thinking of moving to the DR, is to try to avoid the police at all costs. Do not carry on unnecessary conversations with them in the street. Do not try to contact them if you're in trouble, because they will likely not help you and the situation may become worse. If you do find yourself dealing with Sosua cops like me, be as polite as possible and do not become angry or visibly upset. Speak respectfully and don't cause any problems. If they want to take you to the station do not resist. Go to the station and then just pay them to get out. Most likely this won't happen to foreigners, but you never know.
    Last edited by Dark_Scorpion; 07-17-2013 at 03:40 PM.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by frank recktenwald View Post
    This wasn't described in the books of life you read?
    The book talked about it happening to locals. I firmly believe I was mistaken for being one, numerous Dominicans have mistaken me for being Dominican(I'm AA). Normally, I do like to blend in. Today, I'm glad I didn't. But the information I read indicates that Sosuan police are very dangerous.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

That has been my experience most of the time as well, the cops here usually leave me alone. I didn't do anything to stand out, at least nothing that I was aware of. I think it was simply bad/good luck on my part. I just happened to be there when the cops rolled by and they decided to stop and check me out. I really believe they were about to cause me trouble and arrest me, my gut tells me. There was no reason for him to get off the bike unless he was planning something like that. At that moment I was thankful to be a foreigner, if I were Dominican or especially Haitian I believe I would have been taken to jail and had to pay a fine.
    Think it was good luck. I think it would be a good idea to pretend you speak very little Spanish when approached by the police.

12. Likes Harleysrock liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm white and I can spot an AA from a mile in any Dominican city, the cops spot you from double the distance.
    Keep reading books, it will teach you streetlife.
    You must be the squarest AA around. Don't tell me, Carlton Banks?

14. Likes jrhartley, pollogringo, waytogo, Seamonkey liked this post
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast