Doggie Needs a Home

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Last Saturday I saw a beat up truck stop on out street and a dog thrown out. He had a thich chain wrapped around his neck that dragged maybe 6' behind him.

The dog looked lost.

On closer inspection he looks like a Pit Bull Terrier without a cropped tail. He has numerous scars on his ears, neck and body and a really bad gash on his chest that looks about half healed. He has bite marks on his tongue. He's undernourished, but seems to be in good health with no distended belly indicating worms. A neighbor who has a Pit back in the states also thinks he's a PBT, even though he's rather meek.

IMO, based on pure speculation, his wounds look like he's been in a bad fight and lost. It wouldn't surprise me if he's one of those meek animals dog fighters use as "bait" for their fighting dog to practice on.

While I'm no great fan of Pit Bulls, this one is very sweet, tail wagging, a sad look on his face. We've been feeding him and he's sticking close to our property, a large lot shared with a neighbor. I had my guy build a dog house to keep out of the elements next to our gate (the streeet gets very little traffic.) He stays close to his "house" at all times, and comes right out when someone calls or whistles. My neighbor calls him "Chocolate" since that's his color.

We've sprayed on some purple antiseptic to help the wounds heal.

He craves attention and goes on a wagfest when you approach him. He craves the human touch.

I think he'd make a great pet if a person takes care of him with some food, vet care and a place to call home.

He's here hanging out. If anyone would like to take in a nice dog in great need of a home, drop me a PM.

Some pics:

IMG_1573Small_zpsa80a248c.jpg

dog_zps3b91d280.jpg

IMG_1575Small_zps77753f32.jpg

Caz

May 15, 2004
He is indeed sweet, loving and gentle - he deserves a good home and will repay it totally! A really nice dog.

Where do you live CB? Near NorthCoast? How is he with other dogs and cats? We have 2 chi's 2 cats and 3 other big/medium dogs. I LOVE pitbulls and the best thing i have found here is rescuing dogs that are close to death.
My wife is very worried he will hurt our lil dogs or cats.
We can always take him to AAAS in Sosua if it didn't work out with us??

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
He won't hurt your dogs or cats but he really needs to chill and relax, he's had a tough time, probably by the cemetry.

This dog has been fought, you can see his front legs have been in a good fight. He is underweight and I do not think full pit, but close.

I would very much appreciate it if Rob could take the dog into his property for the time being in some way as he will without a short time be picked up off the street and put back be battle.

Jarabacoa is a wonderful place, I lived there, but animal fighting is common and prebaiting weak animals is even more common. They just don't get it and so you can not call ignorance bad, but please Rob, my buddy, take him in and I will get him sorted with a new family pronto. I can't or I would, I have two mental cocker spaniels that would irritate the sh1t out of him and he would snap, but they go to punta cana in three weeks.

He's a me, bettered, and looking for a cuddle. I'll sort him out if you can short term, even if he has to come to the city and be my new best buddy!
They say dogs look like their owners!

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
We're feeding him and spraying him with that purple antiseptic. He sleeps in the house we built (which can go with him if you want), hangs close to us and truly appreciates the attention and care.

He doesn't seem to have a bad bone in his body, very sweet and likes people.

So he's here. He needs a trip to the vet.

Toby barks at him through the fence but the dog doesn't seem irritated about it.

Caz & Co. met him.

We're in Jarabacoa.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
We sent him (now named Choco for "chocolate") off to the vet today for the full aray of shots, de-worming/de-parasiting, a good bath, and to have the 6" gash on his chest reopened, cleaned and properly stiched.

He should return home on Monday.

His dog house is being moved into the yard. Our yard has a separate fence, so our 3 mutts will get to know him through a fence. So far they have been getting along much better...through a fence

He is a good dog, worthy of being cared for by someone.

I hope someone here would like to give him a good home. He craves human attention. Already he's showing signs of protecting his territory, barking and growling at anyone who lingers at the front gate too long.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
If we didn't have so many animals i would take him in a second since Dog said he needed a quiet type place ours place doesn't seem right for this special guy!

He's a pup. I meant for the moment. Once revitalized he will be a cool play pal for some crazy dog, or owner! I reckon he's about 3 years!

But if rob gives his PP address, I am sure we can all muster $30 each, should cover his wonderful efforts to some extent.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
He's a pup. I meant for the moment. Once revitalized he will be a cool play pal for some crazy dog, or owner! I reckon he's about 3 years!

But if rob gives his PP address, I am sure we can all muster $30 each, should cover his wonderful efforts to some extent.
Don't want or need the $$$.

If someone wants him, maybe they can help out, because we're doing what they'd do anyway.

We aren't suckers for every street dog in the DR. But some are more worthy than others. This is our third proper "save", we just can't keep him.

There are many DR1ers who deserve far, far more credit for saving dogs here than us. Far more credit.

We just hope to find Choco a proper home.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Where do you live CB? Near NorthCoast? How is he with other dogs and cats? We have 2 chi's 2 cats and 3 other big/medium dogs. I LOVE pitbulls and the best thing i have found here is rescuing dogs that are close to death.
My wife is very worried he will hurt our lil dogs or cats.
We can always take him to AAAS in Sosua if it didn't work out with us??

give it a shot, Harley. he is a sweet creature. the cosmos will reward you. as Al Pacino said in Scent of a Woman; it will make you proud one day, i promise you".

Oh i am so happy! I really wanted him but wanted him in to be in a home that is good for him. Can we make a time to come by this week or whenever you think is the best time? If you don't want to meet at your home we can meet somewhere else. We have done really well recuperating dogs that were close to death. It is the best experience ever!!!

PM me CB :)
That is why i am really here is to help out damaged dogs!!

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
Oh i am so happy! I really wanted him but wanted him in to be in a home that is good for him. Can we make a time to come by this week or whenever you think is the best time? If you don't want to meet at your home we can meet somewhere else. We have done really well recuperating dogs that were close to death. It is the best experience ever!!!

PM me CB :)
That is why i am really here is to help out damaged dogs!!

You are awesome! I hope you can help!

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
It's up to CB whatever he decides. I want to make sure that love of a dog gets to the right home :)
PM received and answered.

If you can assure a good home, that's all Choco wants.

He should be back from the vet tomorrow. Feel free to plan coming to Jarabacoa for a Meet 'n Greet, check him out and see if you want to take the next step.

ALL we want is for him to find a loving home.