Shipping stuff from Vancouver

I miss my motorcycle more than anything and my wife has very important music stuff she would like to be shipped here. At first I didn't want to ship anything here but if you know musicians they must have their stuff.

Has anyone shipped anything from Vancouver to DR as big as a motorcycle and LOTS of music stuff , tools etc...
I'm thinking cargo ship type containers.

If anyone has info on a good company i would be very thankful. I am going back in 3 weeks to bring some stuff back via plane but my moto won't fit :)

pularvik

Jan 2, 2011
We shipped our stuff from interior BC (Vernon) via Uhaul "box" to Florida. From Florida it was handled by International Movers from the DR. We had only positive things to say about International Movers. However, they have no control when customs goes thru your stuff unpacking everything. You can be there when your container is opened which probably prevents theft but doesn't stop them unpacking your stuff then just throwing it back in the boxes. They also unwrapped all our furniture and mattresses,- in the rain! In the end we got everything tho! Iternational Movers can handle your stuff from Vancouver too. Here is there contact info. Jose can be contacted by phone or email .

L&G International Movers, S.A.
Calle Caonabo # 10, Plaza Irene, Suite 306
Los Restauradores, Santo Domingo
Office phones: 809-530-4494/809-531-2586
Cell: 809-763-4727

Our office is indeed open at 7.15am and is located almost in the corner of Avenida 27 Febrero with Avenida Caonabo close to Plaza de la Bandera and close to Secretaria Fuerzas Armadas.

Jose Lopez
L&G International Movers, S.A.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I agree that your best bet is to get the stuff to either Florida or New York and then use a Dominican shipper to get it here. Also if you can, take advantage of your "duty free" shipment if you are a new legal resident. Otherwise you will likely pay heavy import taxes.

cndeh

Jul 23, 2012
Just a word of warning do not ship wooden musical instruments via container. I shipped 6 guitars here and they got hung up in customs due to suspected contraband in the same container as my instruments were placed. It took 2 months of fighting to get my stuff released from the container and by that time the necks had picked up significant moisture. It took me around 6 months to get the necks true again. Previously I had never had a problem shipping, I just got unlucky. The import taxes per guitar were $50 each. The company I used was Salcedo Cargo Express , there were very helpful in fighting to get my stuff released.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I had no problem getting my guitars when shipped via container and had no additional duty. It all depends on the day of the week, the mood of customs, the company you use and the wind direction.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I miss my motorcycle more than anything and my wife has very important music stuff she would like to be shipped here. At first I didn't want to ship anything here but if you know musicians they must have their stuff.

Has anyone shipped anything from Vancouver to DR as big as a motorcycle and LOTS of music stuff , tools etc...
I'm thinking cargo ship type containers.

If anyone has info on a good company i would be very thankful. I am going back in 3 weeks to bring some stuff back via plane but my moto won't fit :)
When did you get your residency?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
well i applied 4 months ago so i will be waiting 2 more at least i am sure. I will probably wait till the next time i go back in December now to avoid heavy import taxes! Thanks a lot!
I wouldn't do diddly until you have cedula in hand.

I just went through the "one time" exemption.

Be aware the vehicle restrictions also apply to bikes. If you fall outside those parameters, expect to pay about 60% of what they say the bike is worth, usually far higher than it is.

I may have some '08 V-Stroms for sale in a couple of months.

Ngpepin

Mar 2, 2011
Good and relevant information to all of us Vancouverites (past or present). Thanks everyone!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Personally, I would hook up w/ a good RD company - Hispaniola Freight for example. to handle it all the way = or a good BC shipper w/ Hisp on the other end.

Ship straight out of BC thru the Panama canal to RD... load the container in BC, unpack it here
Handling is money... the less you touch it, the less you pay

Have I done this ??
Yes but east coast - no difference.

Container comes to house = pack it = it goes to port and is shipped.
I put my car in too (need a flatbed to get it to dock height to load it)

Vancouver is a good port -- piece o' cake
just need the contacts

Eugeniefs

Jan 24, 2008
Having spoken to a friend of mine who is trying to ship a few things back to Canada (eastern board) she had been told by a friend that things can also be sent via Air Canada (obviously it will depend on size etc) - however, it was surprisingly cheap (even cheaper than by ship)... just a thought because I certainly wouldn't have even considered it!