How to go to DR, have some fun, and not get robbed by cops... and have some fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

explorer1

Jul 7, 2013
OK... I just read a really weird thread that ended up being closed. But, it gave me food for thought (maybe it should not have... I don't know). But, suffice it to say, I am getting the feeling that there is apparently some animosity that exists in the DR against Haitians. Is this correct?
I am concerned only because (pardon my self serving attitude) of the fact that I am generally assumed to be a "light skinned" AA in the States (I am not), and know very little about Haiti or Haitians. Is is possible (probable?) that during a visit I might be harassed, spit upon, glared at, given the stink eye, denied nookie, or otherwise disrespected because of a mistaken identity? Happens all the time in the States. Just wonderin'.

Moderator(s), please pardon me if this is not an appropriate post. No harm intended. Seriously.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Not a chance that any of that will happen to you.

Haitians are really not even treated like that.. not really even glared at.

Money makes all things go round.

And a light skinned AA is well, Dominican here. Certainly NOT Haitian.

bizzyboneizo

Aug 31, 2010
haitians are no problem to any one never seen any problems with them and they act just like every one else there and if you want to give the cops money when they ask for it just make your decision i always say no

May 29, 2006
The chance of any American being confused with a Haitian is next to zero, just by your clothes. And Haitians are typically very dark compared to Dominicans. Lauren Hill is Haitian and she would be considered "light skinned" by Haitian standards. Wyclef Jean is more typical of the Haitian complexion.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
The chance of any American being confused with a Haitian is next to zero, just by your clothes. And Haitians are typically very dark compared to Dominicans. Lauren Hill is Haitian and she would be considered "light skinned" by Haitian standards. Wyclef Jean is more typical of the Haitian complexion.

Lauren Hill is Haitian? She was born in New Jersey.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
Your concerns make me think about what is commonly posted here. As Chris Colon said on another thread, there are always agendas being pushed. There is a ton of useful information on DR1, but you will never really know how DR is until you are here. Some things are not as good as portrayed here, but definitely some things are not nearly as bad, either.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
first thing you have to remember is that you will be black/brown dude in a country of predominantly black/brown folks. you ain't gonna stand out. second thing is: relax. millions of tourist of all shades pass DR every year. only small percentage of them ever get in trouble. and that's often not on the account of the black skin but rather the white powder they try to smuggle for a quick buck. stay away from what universally constitutes as problematic: drugs, pimps, guns and so on.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
explorer1, you'll fit right in, and sorry, but since we don't allow race threads on DR1's regular forums, I have to close this one too.

Status
Not open for further replies.