Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How to go to DR, have some fun, and not get robbed by cops... and have some fun.

OK... I just read a really weird thread that ended up being closed. But, it gave me food for thought (maybe it should not have... I don't know). But, suffice it to say, I am getting the feeling that there is apparently some animosity that exists in the DR against Haitians. Is this correct?
    I am concerned only because (pardon my self serving attitude) of the fact that I am generally assumed to be a "light skinned" AA in the States (I am not), and know very little about Haiti or Haitians. Is is possible (probable?) that during a visit I might be harassed, spit upon, glared at, given the stink eye, denied nookie, or otherwise disrespected because of a mistaken identity? Happens all the time in the States. Just wonderin'.

Moderator(s), please pardon me if this is not an appropriate post. No harm intended. Seriously.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Not a chance that any of that will happen to you.

Haitians are really not even treated like that.. not really even glared at.

Money makes all things go round.

And a light skinned AA is well, Dominican here. Certainly NOT Haitian.

3. Likes frank12 liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

haitians are no problem to any one never seen any problems with them and they act just like every one else there and if you want to give the cops money when they ask for it just make your decision i always say no

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

The chance of any American being confused with a Haitian is next to zero, just by your clothes. And Haitians are typically very dark compared to Dominicans. Lauren Hill is Haitian and she would be considered "light skinned" by Haitian standards. Wyclef Jean is more typical of the Haitian complexion.

6. Likes frank12 liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

So.. I would likely be treated like any other human being? Wow...sounds like Canada...

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeterInBrat View Post
    The chance of any American being confused with a Haitian is next to zero, just by your clothes. And Haitians are typically very dark compared to Dominicans. Lauren Hill is Haitian and she would be considered "light skinned" by Haitian standards. Wyclef Jean is more typical of the Haitian complexion.
    Lauren Hill is Haitian? She was born in New Jersey.

9. Likes Diametric liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Your concerns make me think about what is commonly posted here. As Chris Colon said on another thread, there are always agendas being pushed. There is a ton of useful information on DR1, but you will never really know how DR is until you are here. Some things are not as good as portrayed here, but definitely some things are not nearly as bad, either.

11. Likes AnnaC liked this post
    Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bob saunders View Post
    Lauren Hill is not Haitian, better check your sources.
    Lauryn Hill - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

American from NJ !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Super Moderator
    DR1.com

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

first thing you have to remember is that you will be black/brown dude in a country of predominantly black/brown folks. you ain't gonna stand out. second thing is: relax. millions of tourist of all shades pass DR every year. only small percentage of them ever get in trouble. and that's often not on the account of the black skin but rather the white powder they try to smuggle for a quick buck. stay away from what universally constitutes as problematic: drugs, pimps, guns and so on.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

explorer1, you'll fit right in, and sorry, but since we don't allow race threads on DR1's regular forums, I have to close this one too.

Administrator
    DR1.com