Would love some pics and opinions

Diametric

Mar 20, 2012
Of San Pedro de Macoris. It looks like a cool place. Not too far from the beach at Juan Dolio. If you've spent any time there I'd certaily appreciate some feedback on what it was like and be even more grateful for posted pics you took of the place.

Thanks!

Diametric

Mar 20, 2012
Are you looking to live there?

Possibly. I had planned on Puerto Plata, but honestly, was somewhat discouraged by what folks here had to say about it. That said, I'm still going to POP and going to check it out, but am looking at other spots as a plan B.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
San Pedro was probably beautiful once, you can see some amazing architecture. It is now a bit run down, and does not have a lot going for it. There are quite a few foreigners due to the university and medical school. It is also pretty rough. Assuming you read Spanish, there are lots of pics and articles about the goings on in this Dominican digital newspaper, updated daily.

Macoris del Mar

Matilda

DOC1727

Aug 30, 2011
I lived their for 6 years full time. What do you specifically want to know about it? Not a very nice town to live IMHO, unless you have to be their for work or school.

May 12, 2005
I think maybe La Romana might be a bit better if you really want to live in that part of the country. Otherwise stick with the Capital. Please tell us the potential move to SPDM is not for a chica.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
If you don't mind me saying this, I think you should do this the other way around. Visit places you're interested in, and then ask about those you liked. Getting opinions before actually being to a place could make you biased for or against places that in normal circumstances you could like or dislike for different reasons. I don't mean to tell you how to do things, but my humble advice is to invest in a short trip and at least get a taste of each place before focusing on getting too much info about them.

Diametric

Mar 20, 2012
My wants are:

1. Close to the beach
2. A modicum of cultural/architectural/social value
3. Relative safety and as close to 24/7 electrical/Internet access as realistically possible
4. A decent group of both local and expat community to plug into

I realize a lot of this is relative and hard to quantify, but I figure SPM due to the University would posses a decent amount of what I listed.

Diametric

Mar 20, 2012
I think maybe La Romana might be a bit better if you really want to live in that part of the country. Otherwise stick with the Capital. Please tell us the potential move to SPDM is not for a chica.

No, I already have one of those. Honestly, I'm also taking into consideration that my lady friend will move down with me once I get settled. So, that also figures into where I move to.

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
I think the "cultural/architectural/social value" seems to be the main problem.

The other three you can find at many places around DR (Las Terrenas, Juan Dolio, Punta Cana, Bayahibe, etc)

But that item #2, hmmmm.....only at cities like Santo Domingo or Santiago, I think...

Diametric

Mar 20, 2012
If you don't mind me saying this, I think you should do this the other way around. Visit places you're interested in, and then ask about those you liked. Getting opinions before actually being to a place could make you biased for or against places that in normal circumstances you could like or dislike for different reasons. I don't mean to tell you how to do things, but my humble advice is to invest in a short trip and at least get a taste of each place before focusing on getting too much info about them.

I totally get what you're saying and appreciate the insight. I guess I'm trying to gather as much info prior to getting there. I fully intend to explore as much as possible. I'm fortunate enough to be in a position to check out several places and then pick one. I just would like others feedback as I try and get a sense of what is out there.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
My wants are:

1. Close to the beach
2. A modicum of cultural/architectural/social value
3. Relative safety and as close to 24/7 electrical/Internet access as realistically possible
4. A decent group of both local and expat community to plug into

I realize a lot of this is relative and hard to quantify, but I figure SPM due to the University would posses a decent amount of what I listed.
La Romana would offer a better quality of life than SPM. The beach at Bayahibe is nearby, there are more cultural events and expats, and eating out is more varied.
The only advantages SPM has over La Romana are Amado's pasteles en hoja and proximity to the capital for cultural events.

Diametric

Mar 20, 2012
Okay. So what I gather is the SPM is fairly ordinary, and not many redeaming qualities. I'll look into La Romana and see what I can find out. The good news is i have planty of time until I arrive and to do my homework. Find a town the fits my wants has been exhausting.

I really appreciate everyones input. Thank you.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
San Pedro de Macoris for me has always been the bad memory of living in the DR, when I was back in Holland. First time I lived here you would need to pass through it to go to the east from the capital, and I haven't seen a more depressing village than San Pedro. And then add the motorcycles.

Diametric

Mar 20, 2012
Damn. Sounds like a Detroit. I'd rather find a Savannah or a Sedona. Meaning, a cool place with somewhat redeaming qualities. I get DR is thrid world; so no expectations of huge amounts of culture and the like. Just trying to avoid places that have been found to be towns of abject ****tyness. Which SPM seems to be.

I still plan on finding out for myself whats what. But I am glad to hear from others about it.

Olly

Bronze
Mar 12, 2007
Diametric,
You seemed to have dismissed Sosua and Cabarete for some reason. Yet in many ways these fit your requirements except perhaps for #2. For No 2 , there is the Choir, the North Coast players who recently did some short sketches in a Cabarete restaurant and have a season of shows. Maybe you have ruled these areas out on price as these areas can be expensive.
Sosua has the Jolly Roger which is spook central for the Canadians, and many Brits and has bingo , darts, quiz nights etc.
Sosua also has some excellent medical facilities and the international school.
Harleystock I think made the mistake of buying where it is relatively cheap out in Las Canas near Gasper Hernandez without due consideration of the security aspects. This is an area way beyond Cabarete.
Puerto Plata has some nice areas and good supermarkets but unless you can get somewhere in the Secure gated communities the safety aspect is dubious.
With regard to Electricity make sure you are looking in an area which is on an "A" circuit. this will have about 23/7 but you can make the electricity situation manageable using invertors and /or generators. Internet is another problem but this is slowly going away as it improves. De Lancer is pretty good and has cable too in the Sosua area as I recall you said you need to use it for work.
I am sure you have looked at DR1 extensively and know the areas that might be good and secure so perhaps you should reconsider Sosua and Cabarete.

Olly and the Team

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I have been reading your various posts and think that you will be happiest in Samana & Las Terrenas.. LT does not have a lot of Brits or even Yanks for that matter but does have a rich and full ex pat community. It also has a local community but not one with deep roots. But it certainly is a place with gorgeous beaches and a solid lifesyle for someone in their youth... lots of young families.. Plus you can move over to Samana for tourism business. That is where I would go if I were you.