Practical question on residency card.

Diametric

Mar 20, 2012
If i get to DR and spend several weeks hanging out in different towns trying to get a feel for where I wan to be, how does that impact my efforts to get my residency card? Upon my arrival I have 60 days to get temp papers...if I'm speding most of that time bouncing from town to town, is it best to just wait until I find where I want to be and pay whatever pentaly is assesed? Or should I somehow attempt to manage gaining residency while I travel?

I hope that makes sense. Thanks again for the help. I know I've asked a lot.

-Dylan

Diametric

Mar 20, 2012
Cool, thanks. I just sent an email to drlawyer - I wasn't sure folks here used them or if it was just an advert.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
People do use them but their costs for residency are very very high, I think the use of GA for residency is more of a flock rolling each other here in DR1, and for something any other lawyer 1/4 of the cost can get you in the same time, maybe even quicker. Temp residency applications from December are comming through this month, to give you an idea of process time.

They are very good lawyers, and I have never heard anything negative about them other than costs. People talk of you get what you pay for, well, there are not many places any lawyer can go wrong in the residency process, it is merely a waiting game not quality of lawyer game.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
when i came here the visa was good for 3 months. i gave myself this time to figure out whether i wanted to stay here at all. my mother in law is a lawyer in POP, she helped me out with all the papers but refused to do anything before that 3 months deadline. she also wanted me to be sure. i recon this is quite enough time to think. so do not rush. residency costs a lot of money and takes a long time now.

Diametric

Mar 20, 2012
But, don't i have to pay a penalty if I stay past the 60 or 90 days? I'm all about takign my time as long as it doens't cost me.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
in the old days you had to start the process within that frame of time (whatever the visa was valid for). i suggest you prepare the paperwork anyway and only submit it when you are sure.

arrugala

Bronze
Nov 7, 2010
But, don't i have to pay a penalty if I stay past the 60 or 90 days? I'm all about takign my time as long as it doens't cost me. I Believe you can extend the visa ... Someone who is on this site may have the exact method for this..... but TAKE dv8 ADVICE do not bother IF you are not really committed as its a waste of money Now. As to becoming a permanent resident is so more of a pain !

B/c it was so hectic for us when we first got here b/c of renos animals dying/sick etc... we didn't apply for the year residency thingy until after 60 days and it wasn't a problem, i think it was 70 days or something. It cost us $1000US each and we used Guido Perdomo in Sosua, he is a good lawyer, very helpful and has done a lot for us. I don't think we had to pay a fee for being late?

Just so I understand you are getting the residency from your home country first for the 60 days right?

I did not pay a lawyer for that, it is easy to do if you email the DR consulate in your country and gather all the stuff you need. Make sure you start a few months ahead if possible just in case you didn't do something right. Also I thought the 60 days would start from when we entered the DR but it started 60 days from when they stamped my passport at the DR consulate in Canada, so don't do this too much in advance. (Hopefully this isn't confusing you more)

The next phase in the DR for the temp res for the year is harder to do, possible if you can speak good Spanish but stuff here is so disorganized, in my opinion it is worth paying the grand for the lawyer to handle it. I was stressed about doing it but i had all my papers in order that i knew we would need and it was easy to just give it to the lawyer and he sends it to his assistant in SD and then you meet the lawyers person in SD and she tells you where to go and you just follow what she says. It really was just a long hot day but easy.
You should be able to fit this in no problem as well as traveling around. It's just annoying!!

Or if you just want to live here illegally this stuff doesn't matter and you pay a small overstay fee when you leave the country.

Last edited:

Diametric

Mar 20, 2012
The good news is I live just outside of Washington D.C so I can even go to the DR embassy and get squared away. I reached out to the DR lawyer advertised here and they're telling me it'll cost over $1700 PER PERSON. Um, no thank you. I'll take the above advise...get started on what I can here and reach out to a local lawyer once I get there.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Why BOTHER?????
Come stay here for a while FIRST!
You may not want to stay.
I have been living here full time since 1995, worked for 10 years, own a house, drive a car, and I have NO Papers!
I haven't decided if I like it here or not.
I travel to the USA once, or twice a year, pay a "Fine" of 25 to 50 dollars when I leave, and re enter with no questions asked.
ris Colon

Diametric

Mar 20, 2012
Because I don't know the ways it could come back and bite me in the ass for NOT having papers. I'd rather deal with it and get it over with (assuming I'm staying for some time...say at least a few years)...then it's not something I ever have to address again.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Because I don't know the ways it could come back and bite me in the ass for NOT having papers. I'd rather deal with it and get it over with (assuming I'm staying for some time...say at least a few years)...then it's not something I ever have to address again.

Not that easy. You'll have to renew every few years. It's not a one time thing. Trying out the country first then making a decision on whether or not to get your residency papers is the best recommendation.

Diametric

Mar 20, 2012
I get it, and am doing that. However, I would still like to familiarize with the process so when I'm ready to pull the trigger I can do so.

Givadogahome

Silver
Sep 27, 2011
There is no trigger pulling as far as temporary residency goes, especially if you use a lawyer. You begin at home, send the application to your lawyer once you have the three month visiting visa from the embassy in your country, and then they deal with it. Yu have one appointment when here, a day to get blood tests and pee test. Then you sit back and wait half a year until your lawyer contacts you. There is nothing trigger pulling about it. To be honest, the money I spent on mine could have been spent much better, even though I can drive legally, I have driven illegally for 7 or 8 years and having it makes no difference. I can work legally, and that is the only thing that benefits me in reality. If you aren't going to work then there is absolutely no point in residency.

DOC1727

Aug 30, 2011
Another good reason I would get it for is so you can buy a handgun legally and get a permit. Bank accounts Etc.

Last edited:

B J

Feb 20, 2013
I have used DR lawyer for my temp card, then my first 2 year residency card. Service was excellent . I was just quoted by DR lawyers an astonishing amount for my second permanent residency card........ PURE GREED
They also told me the government was not issuing 4 year replacement card..... LIES I just received one
my current lawyer charged me $600 and she drove me across the country to do it. I like DR lawyers but they have left a bad taste in my mouth,,,,, i know they see the foreigner as an ATM machine. Well they lost some business today. Maybe some of their reputation as well

Diametric

Mar 20, 2012
Yeah, I likes my guns. I'm having to get rid of my rifle here before I leave for DR. Not getting rid of my handgun...never that.

I am only getting my temp renewal once.
I was like you wanted to be on the up and up b/c I WAS a law abiding honest Canadian! I am only doing this to get my Cedula and a legal DR license, will not do it again b/c i t is a waste of money.

You can get a gun EASILY without a permit another waste of money and time consuming and i believe you have to reapply every year for an annoying cost.

They are not going around looking to kick people out of this country and the overstay fee is so little.

Even though I like my life here I am hesitant to ever suggest someone move here like was kinda stated in the off topic area. 7 months ago I was like you awaiting Paradise.... My lil area is paradise but the Country I would say is not.

Last edited: