Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Practical question on residency card.

If i get to DR and spend several weeks hanging out in different towns trying to get a feel for where I wan to be, how does that impact my efforts to get my residency card? Upon my arrival I have 60 days to get temp papers...if I'm speding most of that time bouncing from town to town, is it best to just wait until I find where I want to be and pay whatever pentaly is assesed? Or should I somehow attempt to manage gaining residency while I travel?

I hope that makes sense. Thanks again for the help. I know I've asked a lot.

-Dylan

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

You start the residensia process in your homecountry. Then you can keep in touch with them over email.

DR1 has an ad here on the forum.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool, thanks. I just sent an email to drlawyer - I wasn't sure folks here used them or if it was just an advert.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

People do use them but their costs for residency are very very high, I think the use of GA for residency is more of a flock rolling each other here in DR1, and for something any other lawyer 1/4 of the cost can get you in the same time, maybe even quicker. Temp residency applications from December are comming through this month, to give you an idea of process time.

They are very good lawyers, and I have never heard anything negative about them other than costs. People talk of you get what you pay for, well, there are not many places any lawyer can go wrong in the residency process, it is merely a waiting game not quality of lawyer game.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

when i came here the visa was good for 3 months. i gave myself this time to figure out whether i wanted to stay here at all. my mother in law is a lawyer in POP, she helped me out with all the papers but refused to do anything before that 3 months deadline. she also wanted me to be sure. i recon this is quite enough time to think. so do not rush. residency costs a lot of money and takes a long time now.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

But, don't i have to pay a penalty if I stay past the 60 or 90 days? I'm all about takign my time as long as it doens't cost me.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

in the old days you had to start the process within that frame of time (whatever the visa was valid for). i suggest you prepare the paperwork anyway and only submit it when you are sure.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

But, don't i have to pay a penalty if I stay past the 60 or 90 days? I'm all about takign my time as long as it doens't cost me. I Believe you can extend the visa ... Someone who is on this site may have the exact method for this..... but TAKE dv8 ADVICE do not bother IF you are not really committed as its a waste of money Now. As to becoming a permanent resident is so more of a pain !

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

B/c it was so hectic for us when we first got here b/c of renos animals dying/sick etc... we didn't apply for the year residency thingy until after 60 days and it wasn't a problem, i think it was 70 days or something. It cost us $1000US each and we used Guido Perdomo in Sosua, he is a good lawyer, very helpful and has done a lot for us. I don't think we had to pay a fee for being late?

Just so I understand you are getting the residency from your home country first for the 60 days right?

I did not pay a lawyer for that, it is easy to do if you email the DR consulate in your country and gather all the stuff you need. Make sure you start a few months ahead if possible just in case you didn't do something right. Also I thought the 60 days would start from when we entered the DR but it started 60 days from when they stamped my passport at the DR consulate in Canada, so don't do this too much in advance. (Hopefully this isn't confusing you more)

The next phase in the DR for the temp res for the year is harder to do, possible if you can speak good Spanish but stuff here is so disorganized, in my opinion it is worth paying the grand for the lawyer to handle it. I was stressed about doing it but i had all my papers in order that i knew we would need and it was easy to just give it to the lawyer and he sends it to his assistant in SD and then you meet the lawyers person in SD and she tells you where to go and you just follow what she says. It really was just a long hot day but easy.
    You should be able to fit this in no problem as well as traveling around. It's just annoying!!

Or if you just want to live here illegally this stuff doesn't matter and you pay a small overstay fee when you leave the country.
    Last edited by Harleysrock; 07-18-2013 at 11:57 PM.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

The good news is I live just outside of Washington D.C so I can even go to the DR embassy and get squared away. I reached out to the DR lawyer advertised here and they're telling me it'll cost over $1700 PER PERSON. Um, no thank you. I'll take the above advise...get started on what I can here and reach out to a local lawyer once I get there.

11. Likes Harleysrock liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast