Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Electricity Prices. Facts/Comparison

Residential 1 KWH/Pesos

EdenNorte 4.44 (first 200 KWh/monthly)
    EdeNorte 6.97 (200 to 399 KWH/monthly)
    EdeNorte 10.86 (over399 KWH + flat penalty Pesos 1695 after 699 KWK/monthly)

USA 5.00
    France 7.42
    UK 9.54
    Spain 9.54
    Italy 11.66
    Germany 13.15
    Danemark 15,37
    Las Terrenas 20.50

Sources:
    Europe: University teacher.
    USA : eia.gov/electricity/monthly/update/end_use.cfm
    DR :Invoices
    Euros/Pesos exchange rate 53
    US $/Pesos exchange rate 41,75

2. Likes frank12, waytogo, Squat liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Don Pedro,
    This is incorrect in that over 700 KwH THE RATE IS 10.86 FOR ALL kWh and the effective penalty is RD$2062 not Rd$1695. Apart from that it is useful comparison!

Olly and the Team

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

This has always been interesting to me. Since I have moved to the DR my electric bill has been lower than it ever was in the States and I have always wondered why given the rate differences. Back in the States with a low rate per KWh (about 5.5) I was getting bills around $450! That's a lot of KW. But here I average about $50 ($2,000 pesos).

So what am I doing so differently? I don't use A/C here but my comparison is to a month in the States where I don't use A/C or heat so that is not it. I use the same amount of appliances, TV, computer, etc. for the most part.

The only difference being we don't use a dryer and we use the Dominican style washer and we turn the hot water heater off with the switch almost all the time. But can the washer, dryer and hot water heater really account for that much of a difference?

I'm thinking I had a problem at my house back in the States and was probably paying way too much.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

"...my house back in the States and was probably paying way too much..."

Did you have any Dominican neighbors over there?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

big U.S.-style washer can add up about 300W on top of your Dominican one.
    Drier - about 3 kW per hour
    water heater - about 2-7 kW per hour depnding on potency and output (most of the heaters are in 5+ kwh range).

Sum up.

7. Likes Castle liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

And let's not forget power plants here get free oil and gas from Petrocaribe...

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    And let's not forget power plants here get free oil and gas from Petrocaribe...
    Actually, they don't. The Government does. But private plants are privately owned and buy the fuel oil from Refidomsa. That's why the government has to pay subsidies to the generators... because cost of production is even higher than those 10 pesos per kWh. I have read somewhere that power produced by plants running on fuel oil produce electricity in the 20+ pesos per kWh range, and the government has to pay the difference. And that's also the main reason why there is su much push into LPG/natural gas power cycle conversion of these power plants.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cjp2010 View Post
    I'm thinking I had a problem at my house back in the States and was probably paying way too much.
    In 2011, the average annual electricity consumption for a U.S. residential utility customer was 11,280 kWh, an average of 940 kilowatthours (kWh) per month. Louisiana had the highest annual consumption at 16,176 kWh and Maine the lowest at 6,252 kWh.

My feeling is DR average for a family is 300 KW

cjp2010, price mention is an average.
    Idaho consumer pays Cent 7.87 , Hawaii 34,68
    all details by states here : Electricity - Data - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Olly View Post
    Don Pedro,
    This is incorrect in that over 700 KwH THE RATE IS 10.86 FOR ALL kWh and the effective penalty is RD$2062 not Rd$1695. Apart from that it is useful comparison!

Olly and the Team
    According to my latest Edenorte bill, the rate over 700kWh is RD$11.49 with no reference to a flat rate penalty. Why the discrepancies?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I Don't Want To talk About It!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

13. Likes NV_, Harleysrock liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast