Gas station trick

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Yesterday I put gas in my MIL's yeepeta, while I borrowed it for a small trip. Put 500 pesos while that was what I had on me and went to a gas station I normally don't go to. The guy put the two gallons faster than I noticed and I later noticed the gas gauge was still completely on the bottom so I suspected I was tricked. Anyway, nothing to prove so I went home. Today I picked up my own car from the mechanic, had to put gas, I passed by the same gas station, asked 3000 pesos of 'gasolina premium' and give the guy my key for him to open the lid of the tank. He places the tube ad comes back to me asking me about the key, if it locks automatically when he places back the cap. I'm thinking, what question is that but don't pay attention to it and give him 3000 pesos already.

He tells me: 'but you are giving me too much, how much did you tell me?" I told him I said 3000, he said, ah ok then I'll put 2500 more. I start doubting this guy, so I look at the meter, but can't see what's on the screen from the car. So, I get out, walk to the screen, but he quickly resets it and start putting 2500. I'm doubting if he really had put the first 500, but I'm really not sure and can't proof anything. Then I notice he is putting Regular instead of Premium. When I tell him he says: that's premium! I say: No it's not. It's Regular, look at the price per gallon and which tube you are using. I start arguing and tell him now I am seriously doubting he put the first 500. He gets nervous and gives me back 500 pesos.

I complaint to some supposed manager who thanked me for informing and that he would take measures (sure).

I kept thinking: why did he give me regular instead of premium, but a few minuts later the coin dropped. His trick is to take your attention with a dumb question and confusing you with the amount and then put regular so you get more gallons for your money ad the gauge will go up high enough to take away doubts.

This guy doesn't need the extra 4% for education? If he would just use his intelligence for good things and not for scams.

Yes we all have to be aware over that alot of the locals living in the tourist destinations try to steal from you. Always drive slowly into the station, and see that the pump is set to zero before you open the lid. And keep your eyes on everything that goes around. The good thing by doing this, must be they see you are vigilant and hopefully remember your paranoid behaviour to the next time they are looking for another gringo they maybe can get to leave the island so they can get even poorer.

Hm, maybe they like to see their children go hungry because they are known as thiefs...? I have never thought of that tiny detail before....

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Yes we all have to be aware over that alot of the locals living in the tourist destinations try to steal from you. Always drive slowly into the station, and see that the pump is set to zero before you open the lid. And keep your eyes on everything that goes around. The good thing by doing this, must be they see you are vigilant and hopefully remember your paranoid behaviour to the next time they are looking for another gringo they maybe can get to leave the island so they can get even poorer.

Hm, maybe they like to see their children go hungry because they are known as thiefs...? I have never thought of that tiny detail before....

Seriously, they never ever think about the bad reputation their people get by such constant bad behavior, the brain cycles are focused completely on the scam and tripping over dollars to get dimes. They don't care! its that simple.

Feb 7, 2007
I just had a talk yesterday with a prospective client, who by the way is Haitian... and he told me what i already know. Most Dominicans only look and live for today, they don't care about tomorrow. The phrase "si Dios quiere" is an expression of fatalism, by which most Dominicans live.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Yes they have some tricks to make some extra money as the salary is not fair...

I've seen theses guys socking in plastic containers the gas left in between the pump and the dispenser...

Next client will pay for the fuel to prime the long hose all the way from the motor which is full of air!!!

Dominican proficiency!:rolleyes:

JJ

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Just make sure you pay close attention at the gas station and do not
answer your cell phone or make any calls as this is a major distraction
and they will use it to their advantage. My sister was scammed a few
times because of this. She learned her lesson.:tired:

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
What bomba was this at?

The fact that he returned the 500 pesos is a definite admission of guilt. No dominican would return money he didnt steal. Shoot, most would just deny deny deny. He just wanted you to hurry up and leave without telling his boss. If you told his boss and he's still working there, then you know not to go to that bomba anymore.

Weird thing is in 16+ yrs here its never happened to me. If I may ask without anyone inferring anything from my question but what is your physical appearance? M or F? Foreigner? From where? Just curious to see if theres a certain "look" that these tigueres look for to decide whether they should try the scam or not.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
HEY HERE'S SOME ADVICE ABOUT GAS STATIONS

First when you get there, get out of your car and look at the pumps. Then ask the attendant what type of gas and how much you want. Then look at him while he is resetting the pump and starts to pump your gas.

I have been ripped off once, 10yrs ago, and never again because I always get out of the car.

If you are too scared to get out of the car, then there are 2 things you can do: 1 - get ripped off, or 2 don't go to the gas station....simple

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
What bomba was this at?

The fact that he returned the 500 pesos is a definite admission of guilt. No dominican would return money he didnt steal. Shoot, most would just deny deny deny. He just wanted you to hurry up and leave without telling his boss. If you told his boss and he's still working there, then you know not to go to that bomba anymore.

Weird thing is in 16+ yrs here its never happened to me. If I may ask without anyone inferring anything from my question but what is your physical appearance? M or F? Foreigner? From where? Just curious to see if theres a certain "look" that these tigueres look for to decide whether they should try the scam or not.

This was Esso Nu?ez de Caceres. I'm a male foreigner from Europe. It's obvious I'm not a Dominican but I don't think I look or behave like the average expat. Hardly have an accent.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
This was Esso Nu?ez de Caceres. I'm a male foreigner from Europe. It's obvious I'm not a Dominican but I don't think I look or behave like the average expat. Hardly have an accent.

Looks like its time to LEARN......

bizzyboneizo

Aug 31, 2010
some guys will be like look its at 0 and look when its finished well that happen to me at the texico next to the airport in santo domingo but any body ever been at a gas station any were there and the all the gas attendants look like they dont want to give you gas

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Looks like its time to LEARN......

Don't think so....I have been getting gas in DR for over 7 years, so more than 300 times. Always turn my head towards the screen when they say: pantalla en zero. Nine of ten times get out of the car. Today I didn't, like you always lock your doors and the one day you forget, you're being robbed.

I have been scammed in many occasions: used car parts sold for new ones (you go check if the fuel bomb regulator they installed was actually new or used), car battery being changed while at a mechanic for something else, to name two, but basically I try as much as I can to be alert (that's why he didn't manage to rip me off today).

Ever wondered how many times you have been ripped off while you didn't notice?

Oct 13, 2003
instagram.com
Also been getting gas for 10+ years..

On the NC never a problem as the car and my family is known to most gas stations.. still I always check the pantalla, always watch in the mirror, always have the correct change and always check my gauge (I leave my motor running) to go up to where I think it should be..

On 'foreign ground' the attempts have run the gammut from putting the hose in a moto instead of a the car (opening a car door whacking the motoguy is a great trick for that, if you're tired of the bs of them trying to crowd in), trying to not set the pantalla to zero, selling regular for premium... but so far I've always caught them, I think :)

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Esso Nu?ez de Caceres. I told my wife the story this morning and she told me her sister was ripped off there as well.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Esso Nu?ez de Caceres. I told my wife the story this morning and she told me her sister was ripped off there as well.

the thing is that Dominican scams are usually so simplistic, you can spot them in a heartbeat. now if they are not calibrating the pumps correctly, they have you beat from the start.