Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Dominican pots & pans question

For everyone that has ever cooked in a dominican kitchen.

Dont you wonder somethimes why the handels of the casseroles never have something non heat conducting over it, so you dont need to use a towel. Just only plain metal , the one everyone has and might have them too. I mean cmon everyone has used them if you ever rented a condo.

And tell me its the price ? I've seen them in la sirena the one everyone has arent that cheap compared to the ones you also find with the heat resistent handle. So whats the deal ? you burn enough towels to make up for that 25 peso difference.

I know very high class dominicans specialy in santiago and they most of the times also have the second world war casseroles. maybe cuz the maid cooks, and in the cases when people have the good ones the maid has to cook in the ugly ones and the good onces stay new. Wel You know,the averige show room kitchen and behind it the maids kitchen that realy is being used to cook.

This is in my head for a long time. I know dominicans in belgium and they have the same freaking casseroles in their house ! They are cheaper on IKEA.

Does the habichuela taste better ?

They like to dirty up towels and burn them on the gas stove from time to time?

Its the style ?

No explanation just dominican , just the way it is.

People will think we are rich ?

We just like it the old fashion way ?

Im rich i got towels and ovenmittens enough !

La verdadera cosina criolla

So whats the deal ????

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Any wooden or plastic handles are long burned off. Dominican "chefs" like to cook with a very large flame.

3. Likes Criss Colon liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

But in the normal kitchen ? Normale house wifes ? Or maids ? the flame doesnt reach the handels ? I gave a friend of mine some pots from ikea, 200 peso he loves it . He got his mother also a pair and this guy is like upper midclass. And the handels are still alive

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

This is from my own personal experience with dominicans using pots and pans:

they burn em.

the forget about em.

They probably all had handles at some point and ended up breaking off or melting away. lol

I had one girlfriend who would put something on the stove and forget about it for an hour. Had another girlfriend who would put food in the oven, only to be reminded by the thick smoke billowing out of it.

This IMHO is why dominican cookware is usually in such bad shape. That and most dominicans have a hard time properly taking care of things.

For example, about 5 yrs back I decided to order some cast iron cookware from amazon (just got tired of eating non stick coating lol). First problem was the weight. She didnt want to use them cause they were too heavy. Mind you this is a healthy 25 yr old girl....

Second problem was after the first use, before I had a chance to explain to her the do's and donts of cast iron, she washed it, roughly and let it air dry. No prob, it rusted so I just re-treated it and put it away. After a couple weeks (still using the old cookware lol), I went to pull them out and she had taken them out of the cabinet and put them (2 big skillets and a smaller one) up on top of the cabinets, leaning against the wall, a leaky wall at that, as decorations... LOL

They stayed there for almost two years until I finally had enough of eating teflon, took them down and threw out the old cookware so she had no choice. Finally after 6 more months of "training" she's finally go it.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

lol the pots and pans in dr or horrible i bought some from walmart to take out there and i found some stainless steel pots with glass covers from a scrap job and they will be in dr. im a hell of a cook

7. Likes Harleysrock, bob saunders liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a nice set of T-Fal pots and pans.... After 3 months of my employee using it, all the Teflon is gone and the outside color (red) is gone as well.... It's all black and kinda of oily...

What happened to it ??? Only God knows...

Post Thanks / Like

Forget about it..........
    Cheap cookware, expensive cookware..........
    It will ALL get destroyed here.............
    Buy cheap, this way when tossed...........
    You won't feel as bad..........

B in Santiago

10. Likes Criss Colon, Rattus_Rattus liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I brought good stainless steel frying pans and pots from Canada, bought used. My mother-in-law only uses two of them, but still uses her old pans/pots that's she had for years. Most seem to still have their handle, but yes keep her away from coated pots. She turns the gas too high, and the maid turns it down as soon as she see's Melania isn't paying attention. She turns 77 today, great lady.

12. Likes bizzyboneizo liked this post
    On Probation
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by waytogo View Post
    Forget about it..........
    Cheap cookware, expensive cookware..........
    It will ALL get destroyed here.............
    Buy cheap, this way when tossed...........
    You won't feel as bad..........

B in Santiago
    the only way to save your cookware is to cook yourself, and wash them yourself.

14. Likes retiree liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by the gorgon View Post
    the only way to save your cookware is to cook yourself, and wash them yourself.
    I do almost all of my own cooking.................
    And I ALWAYS wash everything myself...........
    My housekeeper has an easy job............
    I do all the work..........

B in Santiago

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast