Dominican pots & pans question

H.concience

Jul 17, 2013
For everyone that has ever cooked in a dominican kitchen.

Dont you wonder somethimes why the handels of the casseroles never have something non heat conducting over it, so you dont need to use a towel. Just only plain metal , the one everyone has and might have them too. I mean cmon everyone has used them if you ever rented a condo.

And tell me its the price ? I've seen them in la sirena the one everyone has arent that cheap compared to the ones you also find with the heat resistent handle. So whats the deal ? you burn enough towels to make up for that 25 peso difference.

I know very high class dominicans specialy in santiago and they most of the times also have the second world war casseroles. maybe cuz the maid cooks, and in the cases when people have the good ones the maid has to cook in the ugly ones and the good onces stay new. Wel You know,the averige show room kitchen and behind it the maids kitchen that realy is being used to cook.

This is in my head for a long time. I know dominicans in belgium and they have the same freaking casseroles in their house ! They are cheaper on IKEA.

Does the habichuela taste better ?

They like to dirty up towels and burn them on the gas stove from time to time?

Its the style ?

No explanation just dominican , just the way it is.

People will think we are rich ?

We just like it the old fashion way ?

Im rich i got towels and ovenmittens enough !

La verdadera cosina criolla

So whats the deal ????

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Any wooden or plastic handles are long burned off. Dominican "chefs" like to cook with a very large flame.

H.concience

Jul 17, 2013
But in the normal kitchen ? Normale house wifes ? Or maids ? the flame doesnt reach the handels ? I gave a friend of mine some pots from ikea, 200 peso he loves it . He got his mother also a pair and this guy is like upper midclass. And the handels are still alive

NV_

Bronze
Aug 4, 2003
This is from my own personal experience with dominicans using pots and pans:

they burn em.

the forget about em.

They probably all had handles at some point and ended up breaking off or melting away. lol

I had one girlfriend who would put something on the stove and forget about it for an hour. Had another girlfriend who would put food in the oven, only to be reminded by the thick smoke billowing out of it.

This IMHO is why dominican cookware is usually in such bad shape. That and most dominicans have a hard time properly taking care of things.

For example, about 5 yrs back I decided to order some cast iron cookware from amazon (just got tired of eating non stick coating lol). First problem was the weight. She didnt want to use them cause they were too heavy. Mind you this is a healthy 25 yr old girl....

Second problem was after the first use, before I had a chance to explain to her the do's and donts of cast iron, she washed it, roughly and let it air dry. No prob, it rusted so I just re-treated it and put it away. After a couple weeks (still using the old cookware lol), I went to pull them out and she had taken them out of the cabinet and put them (2 big skillets and a smaller one) up on top of the cabinets, leaning against the wall, a leaky wall at that, as decorations... LOL

They stayed there for almost two years until I finally had enough of eating teflon, took them down and threw out the old cookware so she had no choice. Finally after 6 more months of "training" she's finally go it. :)

bizzyboneizo

Aug 31, 2010
lol the pots and pans in dr or horrible i bought some from walmart to take out there and i found some stainless steel pots with glass covers from a scrap job and they will be in dr. im a hell of a cook

charlise

Bronze
Nov 1, 2012
I had a nice set of T-Fal pots and pans.... After 3 months of my employee using it, all the Teflon is gone and the outside color (red) is gone as well.... It's all black and kinda of oily...

What happened to it ??? Only God knows...

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Forget about it..........
Cheap cookware, expensive cookware..........
It will ALL get destroyed here.............
Buy cheap, this way when tossed...........
You won't feel as bad..........

B in Santiago

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I brought good stainless steel frying pans and pots from Canada, bought used. My mother-in-law only uses two of them, but still uses her old pans/pots that's she had for years. Most seem to still have their handle, but yes keep her away from coated pots. She turns the gas too high, and the maid turns it down as soon as she see's Melania isn't paying attention. She turns 77 today, great lady.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Forget about it..........
Cheap cookware, expensive cookware..........
It will ALL get destroyed here.............
Buy cheap, this way when tossed...........
You won't feel as bad..........

B in Santiago

the only way to save your cookware is to cook yourself, and wash them yourself.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
the only way to save your cookware is to cook yourself, and wash them yourself.

I do almost all of my own cooking.................
And I ALWAYS wash everything myself...........
My housekeeper has an easy job............
I do all the work..........

B in Santiago

flyinroom

Silver
Aug 26, 2012
I do almost all of my own cooking.................
And I ALWAYS wash everything myself...........
My housekeeper has an easy job............
I do all the work..........

B in Santiago

Haha......
She....."I was up all night cleaning and cleaning."
He......."What!?....I thought you hired a cleaning lady."
She....."I did.....She is coming this afternoon for the first time and I didn't want her to find the place in a real mess."

:laugh:
Yeah..yeah....I know.
Don't give up my day job.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Haha......
She....."I was up all night cleaning and cleaning."
He......."What!?....I thought you hired a cleaning lady."
She....."I did.....She is coming this afternoon for the first time and I didn't want her to find the place in a real mess."

:laugh:
Yeah..yeah....I know.
Don't give up my day job.

my friend had an hierloom crystal goose once. passed down through generations to the girls. the housekeeper broke it. while my friend wept in dismay, the housekeeper told her that it was her fault, because she left it in a place where it could be broken; the center table in the living room.

housekeeper has a valid point...

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
my friend had an hierloom crystal goose once. passed down through generations to the girls. the housekeeper broke it. while my friend wept in dismay, the housekeeper told her that it was her fault, because she left it in a place where it could be broken; the center table in the living room.

housekeeper has a valid point...

I hate to say this, but most with homes in DR have to 'child-proof' their homes. Leave nothing important to you accessible.

Thankfully our housekeeper is pretty careful, our pots & pans are all intact, nothing important broken. Maybe because she's an older [55-ish] woman. I dread the day she decides to 'retire' and we have to find a replacement. The younger ones are in a big hurry all the time, and that's when accidents happen.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I hate to say this, but most with homes in DR have to 'child-proof' their homes. Leave nothing important to you accessible.

Thankfully our housekeeper is pretty careful, our pots & pans are all intact, nothing important broken. Maybe because she's an older [55-ish] woman. I dread the day she decides to 'retire' and we have to find a replacement. The younger ones are in a big hurry all the time, and that's when accidents happen.

i learned real fast. the first time a housekeeper took steel wool to my Le Creuset dutch oven, i knew, then and there, that certain things are best done yourself.

jilly777

Jul 17, 2013
Having read these posts I have now decided to re pack our "best" pots and pans and stick to eating out:ermm:

jabejuventus

Bronze
Feb 15, 2013
Has no one ever seen a Dominican woman brillar her pans? Maybe it was an isolated case, but a Dominican domestic helper my wife and I had once took our pots and pans and made them shine. This was a somewhat dainty/petite gal. I couldn't figure out where she got the strength. I had to attribute it to skill and technique. Anybody?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Has no one ever seen a Dominican woman brillar her pans? Maybe it was an isolated case, but a Dominican domestic helper my wife and I had once took our pots and pans and made them shine. This was a somewhat dainty/petite gal. I couldn't figure out where she got the strength. I had to attribute it to skill and technique. Anybody?

that is exactly what my housekeeper was trying to do to my Dutch oven!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Dominicans treat ANYTHING they can get their hands on in 3 ways!
1,They break it.
2, They lose it.
3, they steal it.
ANYTHING!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC