Why are you in DR? Are you obsolete(d)?

explorer1

Jul 7, 2013
Hello.

I have two questions. If I should start two separate threads, please let me know.

Why did you choose to stay in DR as an ex-pat?

I see a few testimonies, if you will, under the "why do you live here" heading, but I'd like to hear more.
Especially since the price of a ticket to Asia just increased significantly over the past few days... looks like I might be heading to DR, or some Latin American country soon. I often hear of the DR in the context of sex tourism, but there must be more than that which makes a person leave the U.S., Europe, or Canada for permanent residency in the DR. What is it?

Also, is there a fixation with youth there, as it is here in the U.S.?

Being in my early 50s (still strange to say that), I find that people keep trying to shove me into the old folks home, but i still like sex, drugs, rock and roll, and the Great Pumpkin. Not quite ready for the nursing home.

Thanks, and have a nice day.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Be very careful about any drugs in the DR, locals and police will collaborate ingenious ways to extort your money or freedom.

"Why did you choose to stay in DR as an ex-pat? " - so many long threads to read, search a little

"Also, is there a fixation with youth there, as it is here in the U.S.? " - the only fixation is on wealth, although a poor local female has lost most of her worth by 30. The older expat might have the MOST value, as the local girl believes them to be most generous and they can get more money for their effort. Many local ladies say they prefer older guys.

You can be a Hugh Hefner with very little money. Probably not too different from the far east, except closer.

hugh_hefner_926600a1.jpg

Last edited:

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
Hello.

I have two questions. If I should start two separate threads, please let me know.

Why did you choose to stay in DR as an ex-pat?

For some strange reason all the girls half my age think I look like Brad Pitt:cheeky:

Also, is there a fixation with youth there, as it is here in the U.S.?

They're obsessed with Gringos that have $$$. Cell phones ( w/ no call minutes) that look like TV's:speechles

Last edited:

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Be very careful about any drugs in the DR, locals and police will collaborate ingenious ways to extort your money or freedom.

"Why did you choose to stay in DR as an ex-pat? " - so many long threads to read, search a little

"Also, is there a fixation with youth there, as it is here in the U.S.? " - the only fixation is on wealth, although a poor local female has lost most of her worth by 30. The older expat might have the MOST value, as the local girl believes them to be most generous and they can get more money for their effort. Many local ladies say they prefer older guys.

You can be a Hugh Hefner with very little money. Probably not too different from the far east, except closer.

hugh_hefner_926600a1.jpg

tell me more!!!!

explorer1

Jul 7, 2013
OK... the "drugs" remark was in jest. The only drugs I regularly ingest are caffeine and alcohol.
Thanks for the responses.

I notice an emphasis on the availability of young women for older men...
That is fine, but I have this nasty habit of wanting a (good) conversation from time to time.
Not actually looking to be a Hugh Hefner, but is interesting to know that, apparently, the availability
of women is...noticeably different...from where I stand.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
the climate, the people, the fact that I can afford it, the fact that I can live in three languages, the fact that there are no rules for me because I am a gringo.

I can swim all year (If they ever stop with renovations at the pool at the Sheraton) afford my life now and in the furute (I just paid the plumber $25 for the repairing the hose on the hot water heater), learn something every day.

Like you, I did not want to be in an old people's home and I did not want to just live with white people. And really, with the money that I have, I would be living a progressivly poorer life in the US whereas here I am comfortable.

jilly777

Jul 17, 2013
Been here 3 months now and my local bar has confirmed my thoughts....girls defo. luv the older guys and they don't care if you have a pot belly, no teeth or a problem getting dressed on a morning...you are ALL Brad Pits lol.
NOW......how do I get rid of my ever increasing entourage of Sankeys guys????????:ermm:

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Been here 3 months now and my local bar has confirmed my thoughts....girls defo. luv the older guys and they don't care if you have a pot belly, no teeth or a problem getting dressed on a morning...you are ALL Brad Pits lol.
NOW......how do I get rid of my ever increasing entourage of Sankeys guys????????:ermm:

they do not care if you have many heads, either. you could be a gorgon. as long as you have some scratch, they don't even know if they are looking at your back ,or your front.

explorer1

Jul 7, 2013
So... I'm a little slow, admittedly: cool place for a 50 somethin' single guy, eh? Sounds like it...

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
You want Smok'n Hot Young PUSSY for very little money??????
The DR IS The Place For YOU!
You want "Good Conversation"???????????
Try Poland!
The only "Good Conversations" I have with women from here, are with women who aren't!
Weather is good.
Everything is expensive, except if it involves unskilled labor.(There Is No Skilled Labor!)
If you have enough money, you can do pretty much as you please.
It's dangerous to live here, for a Looooooooooooong list of reasons.
WE, can leave whenever we choose.
Dominican families are "Close", fight all the time,but help each other when there are problems.
Don't expect a long term, loving, respectful relationship with a Dominican.
We have a FEW exceptions here on DR1, but they are OUR "1%ers"!
I am part of the "99%ers"!
"dv", thanks for the picture!
Best "Non Dominican A$$ I have ever "Come Across"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Good Rum, Good Coffee, Good Ice Cream, "Helados Bon, Ron Pasa", and "Dulce de Leche"!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

explorer1

Jul 7, 2013
Criss: I get the feeling you are holding back... ;)

Dangerous? So was Detroit... but there I was able to legally carry a gun....

Expensive... NOT a good thing.

"If you have enough money..." subjective. What constitutes a good chunka change there...50k? 100k? 200K? I ask
because I assume one cannot work if one stays for, say a year or so.

I appreciate you guys responding to my somewhat redundant and perhaps dumb-a$$ questions. Really.

This country were choosen back when they liked the Gringos alittle more than today. We paid nothing when we came here, and paid almost nothing when we went back to own countries for different reasons like renewal of passport, visiting family etc etc. Customs were even polite and sometimes smiling like they appreciated you supporting their country by using every peso you had while living here.

I were orginally planning to live close to a place called Buzios, in Brasil, Had even found a wonderful Mansion in a quiet little town just a couple of streets from a fantastic beach that went on forever..... But since Brasil had another immigration policy- I never completed the move. If i just knew the things i know about this country back then, then i would have spoken Portuguese today, and not "Dominican/Espa?ol".
Now i am stuck here for the time being, if i hadnt owned anything, it would have been easier to relocate to civilzation.

I cannot answer you on the other question, since i do not know what "a fixation" means.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Now i am stuck here for the time being, if i hadnt owned anything, it would have been easier to relocate to civilzation.
Hence my advice: rent, don't buy, until you've lived here several years.

Not everything in the DR is that expensive. It depends on your consumption habits. Here is a matrix on what things cost in the DR:

Dom-Expense.jpg

Living in the DR like you lived back home is much more expensive for less quality products and services.

Living in the DR with a more relaxed, less "keep up with the Joneses" vibe is less expensive.

If you wanted to live like back home, maybe you should live back home.

FWIW: much of the increase in costs over the last few years comes from greatly increased taxation that went into effect at the first of the year. You were warned. It happened.

The ONLY redeeming component of the current inflation is seen if your income is in dollars/Euros: the currency devaluation in the peso is just slightly more than the devaluation of your native currency, so it's almost to your advantage.

Heck, we're at almost 42:1 now. Remember the Hippo days when it was almost the same?

I am to damaged to return back to "that" civilization Cobraboy, It would be very difficult to live in a socalled "controlled"/ normal life i ment drift further south, to Cabo Frio in Brasil.

Have never expected to live just like in "our" homecountries, i happily eat my rice with bean sauce and chicken with a smile.
Dont expect much for myself when it all boils down- but as you know this country has taken a ugly turn to the worse. So then i start to think of how to get the best security and life for my children, and where will they get the best chances (without returning to the hellhole of a freezer i once left)

I tried to make money back when it was 56 : 1. But sadly (stupidly) i didnt took the big chance since we didnt know what will be happening. Next time i am going to use a dollar or two, and see if i can make some out of the crisis.

Hippo for president. (I have a strawhat with hippo photo on)

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I am to damaged to return back to "that" civilization Cobraboy, It would be very difficult to live in a socalled "controlled"/ normal life i ment drift further south, to Cabo Frio in Brasil.

Have never expected to live just like in "our" homecountries, i happily eat my rice with bean sauce and chicken with a smile.
Dont expect much for myself when it all boils down- but as you know this country has taken a ugly turn to the worse. So then i start to think of how to get the best security and life for my children, and where will they get the best chances (without returning to the hellhole of a freezer i once left)

I tried to make money back when it was 56 : 1. But sadly (stupidly) i didnt took the big chance since we didnt know what will be happening. Next time i am going to use a dollar or two, and see if i can make some out of the crisis.

Hippo for president. (I have a strawhat with hippo photo on)
There are parts of the country, beautiful parts, that are peaceful, less expensive and fairly secure.

I live in one of them.

May 29, 2006
What I like about the DR is I'm an eccentric gringo there, while in the US I'm simply eccentric. They cut you a lot more slack in the DR.

Aside from that, there's the climate, the green, the low cost of living, the lack of hurried-ness, and the women. I'd say booze too, but beer is expensive and I'm not much of a rum drinker.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Enough Money", now THAT is the question!
It depends on each persons responsibilities.
I have 4 kids, two "Parents-In-Laws", and numerous family members who know when it's "Time To Eat", yet can't afford a "watch"!
I "NEED", about 6,000 US a month!
If I were a single guy, or a couple, I would "NEED" a lot less.
Depends on where you live, if you own, or rent, and have a car, or not.
When I was single I lived like a "KING", on much less, and had a "LOT MORE", in terms of material things.
I say, a young single guy can be the "COCK-Of-The-Walk", for 3,000 US a month!
With a Strong Emphasis on the "COCK" part!
Live where ever you want, eat whatever you want, drink whatever you want, travel where ever you want, and, SCREW Who Ever you want!!!
You can do it on 2,000 a month, but the girls won't be Ass beautiful, or Ass often!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC