Homeless Children Back On Sosua Streets

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
From today's Sosua News:

We wrote earlier about homeless children in the streets of Sos?a. The children, aged 6 to 17 years wandering the streets begging until the early hours of the morning. They roam the streets mainly in the vicinity of bars and restaurants where many tourists reside. If they see officers of the tourist police, they flee in all directions, after they warned each other. Deep in the night you can find them sleeping on a piece of cardboard on the sidewalk. According to a reporter of 'Detras del Rumor' the children are sent out by their parents to beg for money. When they come home without money they get beaten. Other children don't have any family and have to survive in the streets. Often the children are forced to work as couriers for drug gangs.

Entrepreneurs in the Pedro Clisante in cooperation with the tourist police try to find a solution for these children.

jilly777

Jul 17, 2013
Always sad to hear about the exploitation of kids...but yes those are defo. staged shots.
Having just spent a month in Thailand (Phuket) they too have a major problem but in their case the kids are largely kidnapped and imported from Burma and sent out to earn money on the busy streets. Taking pictures of them can get you into all kinds of trouble!!!!!!
My opinion is that until the poorer Countries (in terms of the indigenous population) are exposed to the benefits of birth control then this problem will not go away.

jilly777

Jul 17, 2013
change the word age to area

Yup I am getting your drift.....cant have a messy tourist area!!!!!

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2007
Lots of local charity groups help kids and families such as these. Being a long time charity worker here on the North Coast, I would highly doubt that this is going on without the knowledge and intercession of charity groups.

Lindsey