Business is slooow

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
What's going on the last few weeks / months? The economy is in crisis for a while already ofcourse but at least still growing and I had business to do, I was asked for quotes, had very good sales in the first 5 months of 2013, but since about a month it's like if it all dried up. I'm having too much time on my hands (hence my more active presence on dr1?) and my vacation still has to begin. DR was never a country where the summer months slowed down economical activity as much as in Europe, but this year is different.

Anyone having the same experience?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Until just a few months ago, I was complaining about having more work than I could handle. I should have kept my mouth shut - apart from a couple of welcome bursts of activity it's been very slow for me this year.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
What's going on the last few weeks / months? The economy is in crisis for a while already ofcourse but at least still growing and I had business to do, I was asked for quotes, had very good sales in the first 5 months of 2013, but since about a month it's like if it all dried up. I'm having too much time on my hands (hence my more active presence on dr1?) and my vacation still has to begin. DR was never a country where the summer months slowed down economical activity as much as in Europe, but this year is different.

Anyone having the same experience?

Don't feel bad, probably 100% of business owner/operators are in the same boat. (BTW, it's sinking) ;) Bars, Rest., Colmados, Supermarkets etc. etc. are saying sales are way down. People have no $$$ and I've said before It's going to get worst. Oh yea, we are having the same experience.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Don't feel bad, probably 100% of business owner/operators are in the same boat. (BTW, it's sinking) ;) Bars, Rest., Colmados, Supermarkets etc. etc. are saying sales are way down. People have no $$$ and I've said before It's going to get worst. Oh yea, we are having the same experience.

the peso is in freefall, and things are getting more expensive by the day. ergo, less and less disposable income. just wait for a few weeks, when the effects of the recent rash of gas and diesel fuel price increases kick in. they have been holding them steady for a few weeks, but they could not do so forever, so some fireworks are going to start anytime soon.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
the peso is in freefall, and things are getting more expensive by the day. ergo, less and less disposable income.
This is the case for most of the first world.

We are starting to see significant cracks in the Chinese economy, so manufacturing is obviously slowing down.

The US economy, the one economy the DR is most closely tied to, is deflating it's currency by $85 BILLION per month...a $ TRILLION per year (all of it off gubmint budget but shouldn't be)...and the US economy isn't even growing at a pace of population replacement. (Imagine the shambles the US economy would be in if there were no QE...) This means disposable income is getting whacked badly. And the DR lives downstream on US (and Euro) disposable income.

I'm not sure where in the world there are good times ahead...

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
the peso is in freefall, and things are getting more expensive by the day. ergo, less and less disposable income. just wait for a few weeks, when the effects of the recent rash of gas and diesel fuel price increases kick in. they have been holding them steady for a few weeks, but they could not do so forever, so some fireworks are going to start anytime soon.

Yeah, I think gas went up 4 pesos today.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
It's still cyclical, however, the lows are lower and the high's not as high...

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
It's still cyclical, however, the lows are lower and the high's not as high...

price increases are fun here. bought a half pound bar of Kraft Cracker Barrel cheese for 170 pesos last week. went to buy another yesterday; 198. ouch!

Dec 26, 2011
I'm not sure where in the world there are good times ahead...

In the US:

I've got good momentum in my niche. Better than ever, perhaps. Certainly better than in the last five years. New home construction is also quickly rebounding. I see greater confidence in the demeanor and comments of my clients.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
In the US:

I've got good momentum in my niche. Better than ever, perhaps. Certainly better than in the last five years. New home construction is also quickly rebounding. I see greater confidence in the demeanor and comments of my clients.

i celebrate your good situation.

Dec 26, 2011
and i am glad that you perceive of them as being blessings. too often some of us see them as being entitlements

Entitlements? LOL

This was my dad's favorite scripture: "So you too, when you do all the things which are commanded you, say, 'We are unworthy slaves; we have done only that which we ought to have done.'"

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
In the US:

Make it while the making is good as every economic indicator says things are not going so well.

pauleast

*** I love DR1 ***
Jan 29, 2012
Look at Detroit. The city just declared bankruptcy. All the pensioners from the city are wondering if there income will be cut. Don't look for any tourists from the greater Detroit area any time soon

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Look at Detroit. The city just declared bankruptcy. All the pensioners from the city are wondering if there income will be cut. Don't look for any tourists from the greater Detroit area any time soon

Not tourists but retirees that are running from the inevitable property and sales tax hikes in Detroit.